Thread: which pistol

which pistol

Looking for top brand pistol. Have been looking at Steyr LP10 or LP50, Morini 162el and Hammerli AP40. Any advice - fancy the five shot. mervy

If yr looking for 5 shot, than its easy; LP10, morini and AP40 are all singleshot..
    Besides that, we cant give you good advise what pistol to choose. Matchguns are SO personal! Feel the pistol, aim it, and choose what suits you best.

I can give you additional info though:
    The 162: the old one's have a non-detach cilinder. (the E), new one's have a detach cilinder (EI). BUT none of the E's are adjustable for grip cant! The M ís.
    The morini grips are great. Imo far better than the thin steyr one's. But as said, its personal! Quite small sights though.

AP40: now made by walther/umarex. Hammerli doesnt exist anymore, so spares may become an issue. There were 2 AP40s made, the old 1 with alu barrel, which is very light up front, and the newer one's with steel barrel. I like their large sights and thick grip.
    Filling should be directly on the bottle; using a fillingset will empty the cilinder when you bleed air..

If I were you, I'd go to a match shop and feel as much pistols as you can. Dont fear less common pistols; they're just as accurate, and often based on common brands. (gehman, etc). There are lots of brands: Walther LP (VERY nice 300 bar system in the LP300, great 3D grips), the new LP400 is similar to the LP10. The Steyr, morini, Gehman, Tesro, Sam, Pardini, Benelli, FWB, etc.
    ATB,
    yana

Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    The 162: the old one's have a non-detach cilinder. (the E), new one's have a detach cilinder (EI). BUT none of the E's are adjustable for grip cant! The M ís.
    The morini grips are great. Imo far better than the thin steyr one's. But as said, its personal! Quite small sights though.
    I have a 162E and frankly, it doesn't need a detachable cylinder. With one 200 bar fill, I have enough air for 2-3 shooting sessions.

As with most target pistols, it is possible to buy larger/smaller front sights. I make mine.

True, there is not much to adjust on the grip, but then, it doesn't need adusting!

The EI has a 6-fluted compensator that is an add-on for the older E.

Great grips, excellent trigger; I think the 162 is the best thing since sliced bread.

Regarding multi-shot pistols, I think the steyr triggers are not as good as the Morini.
    Last edited by radiofan; 12-01-2012 at 11:15 PM. Reason: Front sights

Mine is a non-detach too, was just giving info. Imo, its more hassle when filling, as you have to turn the whole pistol to screw it on.
    Also, the compensator's underside tends to get scratched filling this way.
    Mine already has the compensator, but I do think its a worthwhile upgrade for those who dont have 1.
    I already háve a larger front sight, but its stíll more difficult to see than my Aeron Spiders* and AP40's sight.
    I havent found it necessary to adjust the morini grip either, but many competitors'grips áre adjustable, and some prefer adjustability.
    Dont feel my Steyr trigger is any less than the morini's, just different (mechanic). The LP50's ís different though, that a 'new'trigger, heavier! But 5shot ís another discipline anyway. Dont prefer 1 trigger over another of any of my matchpistols, really. They're áll MORE than good enough, just all different. If I look at the manual, the AP40's trigger does lóok more difficult to adjust, as the bolts adjust 2 things at the same time.
    I did find it easier to get parts for Walther or Steyr, than for Morini. As they're Swiss=non-EU, many countries dont have an importer. Its easy to buy parts from morini directly, but you dó pay in another valuta, and risk taxes.

* I mention the Aeron Spider here, but I dont really recommend it; reliability issues(regulator). Allthough it has very light cocking, is VERY easy to shoot accurately (easier than my morini) and has a great trigger..(grips are too thin too).
    ATB,
    yana

Mine is a non-detach too, was just giving info. Imo, its more hassle when filling, as you have to turn the whole pistol to screw it on.
    Also, the compensator's underside tends to get scratched filling this way.
    I see. I don't have this problem because I have a quick-coupler<->morini adapter. I have so many airguns with different fittings, I have found the best way is to have a quick-coupler socket on the line to cylinder and quick-coupler plug-to-gun adapter for all of the different guns. I first screw on the adapter and then plug-in the line -no turning of gun necessary. See:

http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopdi...k+Coupler+Kits

Dont feel my Steyr trigger is any less than the morini's, just different (mechanic). The LP50's ís different though, that a 'new'trigger, heavier! But 5shot ís another discipline anyway. Dont prefer 1 trigger over another of any of my matchpistols, really. They're áll MORE than good enough, just all different. If I look at the manual, the AP40's trigger does lóok more difficult to adjust, as the bolts adjust 2 things at the same time.
    My main criticism of the steyr LP5/50 trigger is the fact that the second stage travel is not adjustable. I like to have it very short rather than "spongy".

I have the old LP5 trigger, which is different than the new LP50 trigger.
    The old LP5 has same trigger as LP1 etc. Its very short and crisp. But than its said, the new LP50 one is different, heavier, etc.
    I dont use the pcp's much though, I rather shoot with my Tau 7. I shoot just as good or better with that, and its easy fill with 12gr co2 bulbs.
    ATB,
    yana

I have an LP5 in Ibiza and a LP50 here.So cant compare side by side..Both feel a little spongy compared to the LP10.
    I am tempted for a LP50E but keep hearing about them double tapping-shooting more than one shot at a time.
    I have seen Aeron B96 shooter beat everyone else shooting Steyr 5 shots,but have heard of reliability problems and difficulty obtaining spares.
    Very few places stock these guns as they are v expensive.Either Harry Preston ,Surrey Guns or Sportsmens Gun Centre. Or find a club and have a nosey. Try Bisley for the Phoenix Shoot in May.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by craig9mm View Post
    I have seen Aeron B96 shooter beat everyone else shooting Steyr 5 shots,but have heard of reliability problems and difficulty obtaining spares.
    A lot of shooters run the B96 dry, that's a mistake, it will run OK until a little wear creeps in and then it's back to the shop and lots of money. Some lube should be run through the gun every so often when you're not shooting comp cards, then a dry cylinder to follow, this doesn't just lube the bits you don't see, it flushes out dirt & wear products increasing the life of the gun,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

I have an LP5 in Ibiza and a LP50 here.So cant compare side by side..Both feel a little spongy compared to the LP10.
    Indeed, it is due to the gun having to deal with the semi-automatic cycle.

I am tempted for a LP50E but keep hearing about them double tapping-shooting more than one shot at a time.
    I know two people who have had no end of problems with the LP50E. IMO, it is a design flaw -the electronics should never allow shots to be fired so quickly. Apparently, a new re-designed version is to be released soon.

Very few places stock these guns as they are v expensive.
    The Aeron B96 is a surprisingly good gun. It has many quirks, but it shoots well, so long as you get the grip to fit properly. They are no longer produced and can be picked up for bargain prices. IMO, the Steyrs and Morinis are better.

Yeah, well, its all down to the shooter in the end isnt it!
    Cant say my LP5's trigger is spongy, although that ís an older model, co2, converted to pcp
    Its a great pistol.
    Aeron makes good stuff too; if they'd only learn how to finish off, their Spider would be a AWESOME pistol. Now its having problems..
    Wish Tau made a multishot..
    Maybe the older FWB etc 5 shots are good too?
    ATB,
    yana