Thread: 10m club in the Frimley/Farmborough area which is open at lunchtime on weekdays?

10m club in the Frimley/Farmborough area which is open at lunchtime on weekdays?

Would like to (need to) get more practice in 10m rifle indoor competition shooting and perhaps shoot some league cards as well.
    It would be great if I could find somewhere near where I work so that I can nip out during the working week.

Does anyone know of anywhere, say within 15 mins, of Frimley?

Thanks in advance!

PS obvious one is Bisley but can you shoot 10m indoor rifle there during the week?
    Last edited by BigDuncs; 13-01-2012 at 11:14 PM.

Indoor 10m match?

You can shoot outdoors 10m any time of day/week once a full member at Bisley Fielf Target Club

http://www.bfto.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by IH View Post
    Indoor 10m match?

You can shoot outdoors 10m any time of day/week once a full member at Bisley Fielf Target Club

http://www.bfto.org.uk/
    Thanks - amended my post to make it clearer that it's 10m indoor that I'm after.

But, I've just seen their facilites ie BFTO - maybe could get using my HFT set up a bit more than its usual once a year!!!
    Last edited by BigDuncs; 13-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Smile 10m Daytime shoot

The Lord Roberts centre at Bisley is open during the day, I went last Wednesday. Lots of open range space appx 20 available in new building. Wizzer type 10m targets, Shop and cafe and toilets in same building, with adjacent good parking. What more can you ask for ??

How do you get to use the facilities there Ted - do you have to be a member of an NSRA affiliated club etc?

I work near Bisley and wouldnt mind a bit of 10m match pistol practice there if thats possible

Smile Lord Roberts 10m shoot

Option 1 = You can join the club at £44 (current reduced fee on special offer) and pay reduced range fee of <£7 per hour per wizzer lane
    Option 2 = Pay a days membership of £8 then pay the range fee of <£7 per hour per wizzer lane

"do you have to be a member of an NSRA affiliated club etc?" ..Not to my knowledge as I was not asked when booking or paying

You can pre book by telephone BUT on the 3 occasions I have used the facility this has not been necessary just call a few days before to check lanes will be available.

Air refill available at £1 per gun cylinder

Parking is free and safe (Police use the meeting rooms for seminars etc so always walking about)

Coffee + Snacks at good price and fresh made

Site shooting shop has good range and is always helpfull

Other facilities are also available but I have not yet used them including some super ranges on the first floor

No I dont work there but have been impressed each time I visit

Regards
    Ted
    Last edited by Ted T; 14-01-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added info

Quote Originally Posted by Ted T View Post
    Wizzer type 10m targets..
    Hi Ted, pse excuse my ignorance but what, in this context, are wizzers?

And thanks for the suggestions. I take it that the club you refer to is the NSRA?

I think that Ted must be referring to the NRSA - according to their website membership is £44. Thats only for the first year though - after that it increases to £80

Smile 10m Daytime shoot

Wizzers are the electronic target return carriers.
    i.e. Set your paper target in a frame at shooting desk / table press button .....target goes away 10m to far wall.....when reqd press button and target frame returns to show where you missed the bull....curse...replace paper target and start again after adjustinf sights.
    Repeat the above until pellets / air has run out.
    Good luck
    Ted
    The above is how I use them, may not apply to all.

Wizzers are the electronic target return carriers.
    i.e. Set your paper target in a frame at shooting desk / table press button .....target goes away 10m to far wall.....when reqd press button and target frame returns to show where you missed the bull....curse...replace paper target and start again after adjusting sights.
    Repeat the above until pellets / air has run out.
    Good luck
    Ted
    The above is how I use them, may not apply to all.
    LOL - we have these at our club. Just never heard then called anything but (boring) target changers!!

I'll nip over to the LRC on Mon and see if I can join and play!!!! Thanks again. Always thought the centre would only have been open for 'big events' and not individual practice.

The Lord Roberts centre at Bisley is open during the day, I went last Wednesday. Lots of open range space appx 20 available in new building. Wizzer type 10m targets, Shop and cafe and toilets in same building, with adjacent good parking. What more can you ask for ??
    Or go upstairs and use the electronics in the dedicated air hall rather than the whizzers in the 50m range which may have doors open to the elements and breezes blowing in.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
    Shooting is my meditation

Option 1 = You can join the club at £44 (current reduced fee on special offer) and pay reduced range fee of <£7 per hour per wizzer lane
    Option 2 = Pay a days membership of £8 then pay the range fee of <£7 per hour per wizzer lane

"do you have to be a member of an NSRA affiliated club etc?" ..Not to my knowledge as I was not asked when booking or paying

You can pre book by telephone BUT on the 3 occasions I have used the facility this has not been necessary just call a few days before to check lanes will be available.

Regards
    Ted
    Thanks Ted, you're quite right. Phoned the NSRA today and it’s no problem to hire a range for a hour at £6.90 plus £8:00 for the days membership of the NSRA. Thought that as my club is affiliated to the NSRA, that would do re membership but it appears not - ie I need join the NSRA as an individual member to shoot either annual or the £8/day rate. May well take ‘advantage’ of their £44 deal for the first year.

Probably worth it to me but still pretty expensive for an hour’s practice, IMHO.

Update

Been a member of the NSRA now for nearly 2 months. It's working great.

I nip out of the office at 12:15, arrive at Bisley at 12:30 for an hour's shooting and back at my desk before 14:00! Costs £6.90 for an hour now that I'm a member and it is really enjoyable with my objective being to get plenty of practice which a one night a week at my club doesn't really give and you can only do so much dry firing before going crazy!

Only distraction is the police training session next door - through the (non-sound proof) partitions. Couldn't stop myself giggling at some of the sound effects during the tasar training course last week!!

Thanks again for all the contributions to this thread.