Thread: Webley & Scott Premier Model D - energy?

Webley & Scott Premier Model D - energy?

I'm trying to find an estimate of the energy (or exit velocity) of a Webley Premier (Model D) air pistol (with the 4.5mm barrel). The only thing I've found to date is that it's very powerful for its size. Fitting for a country where the 'premium' car makers only disclose that their models make 'enough' power, but still
    Any ideas?

The only way to know for sure is to measure it...but expect about 3 to 3.5 ft/lbs at most muzzle energy with a decent spring and seals.

Quoting figures in Webley Air Pistols (Gordon Bruce) p.121

350 fps in .177 , assuming a pellet wt of 7.9, = 2.15 ft lbs

Sounds a little pessimistic

Just so happens I have an "E" in .177 in virtually un-used condition so as soon as I can get one of my Chronos to work, I will post result on here

Grego

The Model D & E have the same ("stronger") main spring as far as I understand, so yeah, please do post!
    I don't have any comparison (except to an Airsoft springer...) but the pistol does feel as if it packs a punch ... but it will only dent, not pierce the cover of a can that held a nice portion of canard confit from around 4m away. (Those cans are larger and somewhat heavier than the typical preserved food cans.)

(1 ft lbf == 1.3558179483314 J )

Here Goes;

Tested with a virtually unused (maybe 40 shots from new) .177 Tempest useing 7.9 gn accupels, av 10 shots

Tempest av 395 fps = 2.7 ft lbs

Premier "E" av 465 fps = 3.8 ft lbs

BUT premier was accompanied by a lot of smoke and had a 30 fps spread (dieseling?).

Saying that, shooting it with the tempest it really does feel that much more powerfull with regards to cocking and recoil .

Easily my favorite pistol.

Great, thanks! (You *are* saying the Premier is your favourite, right?)

Just for the record, those correspond to 1.99J for the Tempest and 2.80J for the Premier E (making it a bit more powerful than the Tanfoglio I've been drooling on ^^). Nice - I guess the figure should be comparable for my Premier D.

I presume dieseling is a sort of auto-combustion of oil? I guess you'd smell that, no? I opened mine, probably for the 1st time since it was built, and cleaning it with some WD40 on a rag I got out quite a bit of a black, sooty substance, esp. from the piston chamber. The piston seal was in perfect condition though, but so dry that it was quite a fight to get the piston out. Didn't really notice any smoke before the cleaning act, though. I'd be curious to know what you find when disassembling your E (should you ever do that).

BTW: how do you convert bullet speed and mass (and size?) to energy?

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post

BTW: how do you convert bullet speed and mass (and size?) to energy?
    Energy (ftlbs) =

V^2 (fps) * Weight (gns)

RJVB, I may be wrong but i think you will find 2.7 ft lbs = 3.66 joules

and 3.8 ft lbs = 5.16 joules (so a lot more powerfull than the Tanfoglio)

As far as I know, dieseling is caused by excess oil , the oil vapour combusts under compression and so increases power

Grego