Thread: Backstop - safety

Backstop - safety

Hi

I am taking up shooting again after a long absence but no longer have the space outside to set a safe range.

If I am going to create an indoor 10m range, does anyone have suggestions for an effective backstop to shoot against?

I always thought wood had the potential to ricochet but this will be my first time not shooting hunting rifles so perhaps it is fine for CO2 pistols.

Cheers

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Hang a couple of layers of old carpet in front of the wood - loosely if possible: either use a wood baton across the top for a spacer between layers or staple the front layer of carpet to back of the wood and then flip it over. The slight movement in the carpet will absorb enough energy to stop pellets coming back, fine for 6ftlb rifles so overkill for 2 or 3 ftlb pistol.

Not that you need to worry... they'll all be in the black anyway, shirely?
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!

I've used a 4mm stell sheet fronted with wood with a layer of 10-15mm of medium density foam spaced infront of the wood. Stops anything and never had anything come back at me. I tend to be about 15m or more back. I like the carpet idea though. You can do what you like as long as the final layer will stop what your putting into it, and that the first layer will allow what you're putting into it through, but not let it come back after hitting the back stop.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Its not worth risking richochets or houshold damage, you can buy a safe effective backstop and target holder from the NSRA shop for £20.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Your simplest option is an off the shelf pellet catcher - as Robin reccomends - they are cheap and readily available and will save you a whole lot of hassle

defblade is offline There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza
    Sorry, I didn't make clear - I have a backboard as described, then my pellet catcher is hung on a screw in front of that (and filled with plumber's mait which is brilliant stuff - holds the pellets and is silent). Backboard only there for total horrible mistakes.
    New: Hammerli AP20; BSA Meteor for daughter (and rats ); TX200 with a scope on top;
    Baikal MP-651K for plinking; and a friend with an Original 75 he doesn't mind me using!