Thread: Steyr LP10 / LP50

Steyr LP10 / LP50

I am undecided as to which to go for. I used do shoot most weeks hunting for years but no longer am out in the open air.

I miss the discipline of shooting and thoiught I would try air pistol shooting.

I am under-skilled and over-ambitious, and as a result, I am looking at pistols which can carry me through to the International level of competition I dream I am capable of.

However, am I right in thinking that there is little competition/need for multi-shot pistols and therefore, better to get as good a single shot as possible? Or is there a growing opportunity for multi-shot pistols out there?

Cheers

Another option

http://www.sportsmanguncentre.co.uk/...LP+Silhouette/

QUOTE=aclf101;5300905]I am undecided as to which to go for. I used do shoot most weeks hunting for years but no longer am out in the open air.

I miss the discipline of shooting and thoiught I would try air pistol shooting.

I am under-skilled and over-ambitious, and as a result, I am looking at pistols which can carry me through to the International level of competition I dream I am capable of.

However, am I right in thinking that there is little competition/need for multi-shot pistols and therefore, better to get as good a single shot as possible? Or is there a growing opportunity for multi-shot pistols out there?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

I am guessing the LP S is basically a bit more powerful/outdoor orientated?

Otherwise I am struggling to understand why there seems to be so much 'overlap' with the LP50...

My thought was to get a multishot that would give me all the options instead of a single shot. However, if there are few competitions/club events that use multi-shot, there is little point I guess. No doubt more fun plinking but that is one expensive toy if bought for that reason!!

AND a less trigger than the LP10 (heavier, spongier)
    But, indeed, you dont need a Steyr LP to begin with!
    There are several cheaper options.
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    There are ISSF competitions shot with five shots pistols, both on 10 mt proportional targets, and also with in the UK all the old events that we shot with 22's pre Blair are now shot still at 25 mts with five shot air pistols (at the British Pistol Club). There will be a standard pistol competition (40 shots, 20 shots in 5 shot strings in 20 secs and 20 shot in 5 shot strings in 10 secs) at the British Championships in Feb (Bisley). The Scottish Pistol association and several counties run postal standard pistol and sport pistol competitions.
    There is a single shot magazine available for the Lp50, the standard trigger is not as nice as the LP10 but the LP50 electronic is identical to the LP10 electronic and is arguably (I'd argue it!!) the best trigger on any air pistol.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

The LP50 is the best 'serious' first gun. There are multi shot comps to shoot - and an LP50 is capable of shooting at the highest level of single shot competition (in the UK at least).

LP10 or Morini are the sensible single shot options (yes I know there are other makes - but really?). But I'd strongly recommend a multi shot ahead of these if you only have one gun.

I personally would avoid the steyr electronics, and would suggest a good second hand LP50. You'll not lose any money on a sensible purchase, and you'll get to try everything you can shoot in the UK with just one airgun. Add the single shot later...

Cheers
    McT

Took the same jump myself last year, rifle was sold, and plunged a whole load of money into a secondhand LP10E - and happy with every penny spent on it
    Steyr LP10E... when you absolutely positively have to punch neat holes in the middle at 10m accept no substitute

Thanks for the advice - and I think I will settle on finding a good second-hand LP50...which I guess, may take a while!!

There are a couple of pistols for sale on here currently, but you may not have access to the sales section yet - perhaps a Mod could help

First is here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....177-air-pistol its single shot, and is almost identical to the LP10, right hand large grip, and is being offered for sale by galileo110

The second is here http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-LP50e-Compact its quite possibly everything you are looking for just a bit shorter (my wife always says the same?) - right hand medium grip and looks absolutely mint, being offered for sale by davec

If you can't access the sales section directly you should still be able to PM the folks offering these for sale
    Steyr LP10E... when you absolutely positively have to punch neat holes in the middle at 10m accept no substitute

There is a guy at my club who is thinking of selling his LP50 but he has no idea what to ask. I know he has two 5 shot magazines and one single shot magazine with it.

If you want to make him an offer that he may not be able to refuse PM me and I'll pass it on to him. I see him on Wednesday nights.

Cheers

Mark

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    You should also seriously consider a compact (although the one offered is now sold), I'm biased as I have them in single and five shot, but they do ballance better. Half our club use them including the current British open champion.
    There is a nice FWB P44 compact for sale on Stirton.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I know Surrey Guns had a nice secondhand one (LP50) in stock the other week - might be worth a call?
    Last edited by McTrucky; 24-01-2012 at 07:22 PM.

tufty is offline I wondered how that worked..
    I have both,the trigger is better on the LP10,but the trigger on the LP50 is still better than a lot of single shots,it is set up diffently as it is designed for a different discipline,the first stage take up is shorter,as it's designed for rapid fire,consequently it is not as adjustable as the 10,but still breaks very crisply. I prefer the 10 trigger,but have won more medals with the 50......you need to try both is my point
    Steyr LG110 Hunter,AA410 in Gary Cane stock,HC, Steyr LP50,Morini 164ei,Morini CM84e,Anschutz 1417 thumbhole,Rimfire Magic 10/22,Anschutz 1913,Rieder and Lenz Z2,Keppeler 6mmbr