Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: advice on a starter pistol

advice on a starter pistol

hello all i am new to this forum and this is my 1st thread , i am after a starter airpistol for casual target shooting what would you all suggest would fulfil my needs i was thinking of something around the £100 mark.

all the best

bat

Hi

I'd look around for a Baikal IZH-53, you should be able to get one new for about £60 if you shop around, or a secondhand one for less if you're lucky. Although they're cheap they have a good trigger and barrel, and can be upgraded easily and cheaply by fitting a better spring guide if you're minded.

Other than that I'd suggest looking at secodhand pistols. When you say "casual target shooting" do you mean plinking? You could do much worse than buy a Webley Nemesis, Tempest, Hurricane, or even a BSA Scorpion from the "Sales" section on here if so. Some Gamo pistols are ok, you could probably get a Hatsan pistol in your budget but for target shooting the heavy triggers on the cheaper pistols will hinder accuracy.

I'd steer clear of Co2 guns for a first airgun, they can be unreliable and a bit finicky, though lots on here seem to like them. I'd look for a springer first, no cartridges to buy, just pellets!

Welcome to the forum by the way!

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    If you want accuate plinking, aren't bothered about high power and also want to be able to do some paper target shooting then a second hand Gamo Compact might suit you very well, single stroke pneumatic so your only consumables are pellets & a drop of oil every few hundred shots,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If you want accuate plinking, aren't bothered about high power and also want to be able to do some paper target shooting then a second hand Gamo Compact might suit you very well, single stroke pneumatic so your only consumables are pellets & a drop of oil every few hundred shots,
    Regards,
    Nick
    Agree with Nicks comments the compact is a great pistol indeed i still shoot mine in some competitions atb ...mike...

What about the Beeman 2004E?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Quote Originally Posted by niblue View Post
    What about the Beeman 2004E?
    That's ok, it's a lot of pistol for the price, mine's been running fine for 5 years with just a bit of oil now & then,

- Nick

thanks

i was actually thinking of the compact as they do look sturdy. what is the trigger like on the compacts though.

cheers lads i will see what i can find.

regards

Trigger is quite nice for a gun of it's level. Got one on the forum 2nd hand last year and as an informal-ish paper puncher it's nice. Nicer grips than the slab-sided Webley Nemesis (but that's not a bad pistol either) and similar outwards construction. You may be able to get a s/h Alecto for that if you shop around too - giving you the option for higher power if you wish. Shop around and try as many as you can - at least get to 'feel' the grips and balance.

Quote Originally Posted by bat7x64 View Post
    i was actually thinking of the compact as they do look sturdy. what is the trigger like on the compacts though.

cheers lads i will see what i can find.

regards
    As standard the Compact trigger is good, if the sear engagement adjustment screw is extended so it actually does what it's supposed to and the laminated stamped sears are stoned, polished and lubed, then the trigger becomes truly world class,
    ATB,
    Nick

Question target pistols

Taking things off at a bit of a tangent what are the top three target shooting pistols ?
    Thinking of supplementing my two rifles with a first pistol and would appreciate members input.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill

Try a hw40 single stroke pneumatic.

Quote Originally Posted by beeker View Post
    Taking things off at a bit of a tangent what are the top three target shooting pistols ?
    Thinking of supplementing my two rifles with a first pistol and would appreciate members input.
    Thanks in advance
    Bill
    Well, as you're asking probably a Steyr LP10 or the LP50 in multi-shot flavour would be in my top 3. But you'd be lucky to get either S/H at under a grand. Best pistols at what budget? Maybe to be fair to bat this could be for another thread.

Thanks for the replies lads .
    Bill

Picked up a 2nd jand Beeman 2004/P17 myself - seems a nice bit of kit.

beeman p 17

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    That's ok, it's a lot of pistol for the price, mine's been running fine for 5 years with just a bit of oil now & then,

- Nick
    There are YouTube videos on looking after P17s.They recommend keeping piston & o ring lubed using white lithium grease, which iv been doing. Are you recommending oil for these parts? Have you tried both?