Thread: Can anybody identify this ?

Can anybody identify this ?

I was given this many years ago by a friend, I believe it may be a BSA ? It's an underlever .177. Does anybody know any more about it ? Is it worth anything ? It's in working order. Sorry the pics are a bit crap, I'll try & get some better ones when I get chance.
    Does anybody know how to get the pics to show up on here rather than through a link ?
    Thanks
    Phil.

Last edited by Wilyfox; 02-01-2012 at 09:33 PM.
    Eagles may fly high, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines !

It is a very early BSA/Lincoln Jeffries with that type of underlever.
    If you put the serial number up which is on the trigger housing someone will be along more knowledgeable than me and tell you exactly what batch and year it is, it is more than likely a 100 years old anyway.

Dean
    BASC

It looks like you have an early BSA or Lincoln Jeffries air rifle dating from around 1906. The breech area is damaged and the rearsight is wrong (from a much later model air rifle). You have a rifle with a "pistolhand" stock, and early cast trigger guard. The gun also features the first pattern cranked bayonet handle to the cocking lever. All these features date the gun between 1905-1907.
    There should be a keyhole plate holding the breech plug in place, however this looks to have been snapped off above the two attachment screws. The breech plug itself features a large hole in its centre which should contain a tension spring which bears upon the keyhole plate.
    Value wise, a gun in the condition of your would be worth aroung £90-£110.

Hope that helps

Lakey

Hi..

With no serial number ..I would think that this Rifle is a BSA Air Rifle 2nd Batch Cast Trigger Guard ..date about 1906..I would agree with Lakey that it has the wrong foresight and rear-sight ..and with it's damage,and overall condition ..and replacement part's issue ..worth £70.00--£90.00..

Regard's

Inproved..

Not a lot I can add to the excellent replies so far. My guess on the basis of the pics is this is a BSA rather than Lincoln on the basis that a tap cover plate was once fitted and Lincolns were generally fitted with the earlier type of tap arrangement with no cover at the time the long tang trigger guard was in use. The stock would have originally been stamped with either the BSA piled arms trademark or Lincoln Jeffries' Standing Man trademark. Top of air cylinder will be stamped either with BSA's details or with H The Lincoln.

I'm now intrigued to see which.

Also, I agree with values quoted as the rifle looks to need a little work to bring it up to spec.

John

Thanks for all the replies. I'll have a proper look over the gun later this week & post up any serial numbers etc
    Thanks again.
    Phil.

I've finally had chance to have a proper look over the gun. It appears to be a Lincoln as it has the man holding a gun stamped into the stock, the serial number is NO:660
    Unfortunately a lot of the screw heads have been trashed by the previous owner and there are some initals carved into the stock, so I'm guessing it's not going to be worth much ?
    Unsure what to do as I can't see me ever using it .....
    Cheers
    Phil.
    Last edited by Wilyfox; 18-01-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Hi, With that serial number it identifies it as one of the first production batch of Lincoln Jeffries rifles made by BSA in 1905.
    Pity about the condition. As it is so early, I think value about £90-£110 as a labour of love for restoration. It could be worth more if broken for spares and put on a well known internet auction site. It would be a shame to see it broken for parts but it does need a few bits itself.
    atb
    dogsbody

Hi ..

I think it would be a crime to scrap this early 1905/1906 rifle ..However it looks like the Tap has been modified to the Second Type BSA..Probably at BSA along time ago..The parts it requires will make it expensive ..New Sight's that is old correct pattern will be expensive foresight and rear would be about up to £60.00 if you could find them ..Then there is the Tap £40.00 or near..Repairs to Stock..???New Piston Seal £15.00 plus post new Spring if needed £22.00 so here is £150.00 or near for Spares..So £70.00 to £90.00 is a more realistic price for this Rifle..Don't forget there is Post and Packing..

Regard's

Inproved..

Hi All,
    Yes, the tap could have been modified by BSA to the later pattern but if it has, the tap hole should be blind.A big mod but you never know. Most likely a slightly later barrel and cylinder has been fitted at some time, maybe by BSA or Lincoln Jeffries soon after manufacture, but maybe much later. Could even be a made up gun.
    Phil (Wilyfox) - Can you make out anything stamped on the top of the cylinder?
    Would be a lovely project to restore, time and money consuming, but another one of these old guns saved.
    atb
    dogsbody