Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: inherited vintage air rifles and spares help needed

Quote Originally Posted by bat7x64 View Post
    hi all,

i am starting to think this is a very good find i did not take a picture of any of the air cylinders or actions or stocks after 3 hrs of taking photos and 8 batteries it was time for home.

just by what you can see do you all really think that there is around the £2000 of spares because if there is and i am only thinking aloud now i will not be selling them to knibbs or chambers but maybe would like a group of collectors to get together and purchase the whole collection warts and all and help other collectors.

just a thought.

regards
    There is probably more than £2,000 worth of spares if you do what is advised above - perhaps quite a lot more if there are many cylinders and stocks to come. But it involves a lot of time and effort.

Trying to get a group of collectors to shell out potentially hundreds of pounds each for piles of spares when individually they might want only a few for themselves is a non-starter. It's a nice idea but not workable.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

been on the 2 companys people mentioned and have had a shock , i dont know what to do with this gear but i dont have the time for sorting it out ???and it is no good to me , can anyone point me in the right direction to sell it in one go.

thanks

HI all
    You will be able to get help to sort your stock from bbs members if you offer spares either as payment for their time or at reduced price on items they need for their own projects.
    With some of the spares being hard to find i am sure you would get all the help you need,
    It would also be satisfying for you as you would know the spares were being used you would also meet a good bunch of people.
    The members on here help each other and i have had help with bits i have needed fron time to time.
    Good luck with it.
    Oilyreid

Would any other members on here want to join up to bulk buy the job lot in order to keep this in private collectors hands??
    I would be willing to put some money in and then split it with other collectors.

The best way would be to equally divide the parts so that not one person ended up with all the juicy bits.
    BASC

been on the 2 companys people mentioned and have had a shock
    What was the shock?

To sell the lot in one go why not put it all in a sporting gun auction such as `HOLTS`.
    Pete.

a fascinating collection..
    Looking at the photos I get the impression that many of the larger pieces are not new but most likely came from old rifles that were stripped. This does not mean that they are of no interest though ...
    An option could be to sell privately in lots e.g. as you photo'd them but this could necessitate a purchaser buying more than they needed ... OK, they could sell the surplus on again if needed. And you would ideally need to identify the pieces or to give very good photos to allow a buyer to decide on what the items were for themselves.
    Auction ... certainly a possibility as it would be 'buyers risk' and the buyer would have to make up their own mind as to condition and value. And you would, of course, have to pay for the privilege in the way of 'sellers premium' of maybe 20% of the hammer price. But you might get very good prices. Southams auctions held in Bedford usually get fair prices and there are several regular air gun gurus there. Lots as given in the photos would be a possibility. Whichever way, I will look out for the items as I might be tempted by a few ....
    Cheers, Phil

That doesn't seem like a modern collection at all , it was one persons major hobby or lifetime passion , an airgunsmith , before collecting airguns came into vogue. Wow ..those old boxes with the names of BSA , ect on them would be treasures to BSA gun collectors.

You hit the lottery with that find of spares and guns.

There is no telling how much money people would bid (around the world) for those boxes of spares. Perhaps 1000's . The parts are small and easy to ship and won't get broken. Why not sell them for all they will bring and buy your wife something nice ! or a vacation surprize

I would seperate it out into logical lots and sell it on Eeee BAY .

Congratulations on your windfall. !!!!

I am amazed at the figures that have been suggested on this thread. I wonder how many valuers would actually 'put their money where their mouth is'

I would love the items in photo's 9, 20, and 24 and if I were at an auction they appeared in would bid no more than £500 including commission, as for the other bits in the photo's, I personally would not pay much as they would just sit in my sulking shed for years.

If you really cant afford the time to list some of the spares on e-bay, then the quickest way to do it is to split the spares up into about four lots and let Holts or Wallis & Wallis sell them at auction. You will pay the auction house a sellers premium in order for them to sell, but then they do all the work, so no time or hassle for you

Quote Originally Posted by Binners View Post
    I am amazed at the figures that have been suggested on this thread. I wonder how many valuers would actually 'put their money where their mouth is'

I would love the items in photo's 9, 20, and 24 and if I were at an auction they appeared in would bid no more than £500 including commission, as for the other bits in the photo's, I personally would not pay much as they would just sit in my sulking shed for years.
    That's probably what a dealer would say too Peter. As I've said, getting top value for these parts lies in selling them one by one on the auction site over a period of time.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

I think you may have missed the point of many of the suggestions in the thread...

The point is that no-one will want all the spares for their own "needs"

The option to sell as "job lots" where someone will take what they want out then evilbay the unwanted items individually means that that 2nd party will get all the benefit.

It's really important to realise that if the owner of these items can find the time (and help from others) to catalogue these items and then auction them individually then he will easily realise my previously mentioned 2.5 to 3 K

If this is not an option then proper advice on values gleaned from previous sales on here and internet searches etc. will mean the owner can put individual "highly desirerable" pieces like early BSA peep sights etc. (which are worth 60 to 120 each depending on their rarity imo) for sale on here in the collectors section.

I get a sneaking suspicion that there will be many people (not you I hasten to add) "hoping" that the OP runs out of time/ideas and will then in confusion/frustration take a sneaky offer sent by email etc. and let his INHERITANCE (because that is what this is!) go for a pittance to someone elses financial gain

Maybe I'm just cynical...

Just my twopenn'orth...
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

been on the 2 companys people mentioned and have had a shock , i dont know what to do with this gear but i dont have the time for sorting it out ???and it is no good to me , can anyone point me in the right direction to sell it in one go.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy Roller View Post
    What was the shock?

I would wager, the shock would have been a low offer... I hope the O/P gets the true value of these parts and I do understand that they would fetch more if listed individually and sold over a long period of time. The bits in photo's 9,20 and 24 would fly out the door at mega £££

That said, I doubt anything like £3k would be achieved, but that is only my personal limited opinion.

Hi,
    To maximise the value of your parts, you should really sell them on e**y. They have a system which you can use if you don't have the time or inclination to photograph, list and send your item. Its called trading assistant see http://pages.e**y.co.uk/tradingassis...assistant.html
    You can sell stuff when you want with minimum effort. You will of course have to have some description of what it is you are selling. However some descriptions are very vague and are, for example, Rear sight maybe BSA, Webley, Diana or other, see photo. Good photos are a must.
    atb
    dogsbody
    Don't know why I can't list the address of the page properly above. Just go to e**y or G**gle and search for e**y trading assistant
    dogsbody
    Last edited by dogsbody; 21-01-2012 at 08:01 PM.

edbear2 Guest

Not 10 or 11?

I have been reading this with interest as I am pretty au fait with selling odds and sods now and again (3 accounts with 1200 feedback). anyway one thing that has not been really covered is that on evilbay it is not just a matter (in my case anyhow) of clicking a button and waiting for the cash to roll in. To list say 10 items properly with decent photos and honest descriptions can take a good couple of hours, then you have to spend time each night answering questions from all over the place before stressing about Royal Fail losing the thing when eventually it does sell.

This is not saying I don't quite enjoy it, I have made a few interesting contacts, and have even met up with people who have collected stuff, and this has led in at least two cases to getting nice old guns!

To sell this hoard would take 100's of hours of work over several months to get the best return as others have said. You could "second chance" a few of the multiples, but when dealing with 20 or so of the same item you simply cannot say "they go for £20, so that's £200's worth" as unless you list them in drips and drabs the price you will get will plummet after a few.

I actually sympathise with this guy in deciding what the hell to do, as it sounds like he does not want the aforementioned hassle and time spent in getting the best return, but obviously wants to get as much as possible...I really don't know what I would do in his position.

The auction idea (with a headsup on here to maximise interest) would be one way, or maybe just come up with a figure by reading through this post and start a sales thread saying;

All this for sale, price is £xxxxx.......If he started at what he considered a good price, with the proviso of no P.M.s or offers, he could always drop the price if no interest...that would get everybody sweating

Myself......I am honestly not interested as I am trying to reduce my own stash, and the last thing I need is more of the bleedin' stuff