Thank you, that makes it a lot clearer, not more welcome, just a lot clearer. No, I'm not a member of the NRA UK, but the 'other' one. As for modern firearms of Swiss/Swedish origin, they have no interest for me whatsoever. I'd be looking at Swedish Nagant and Husqvarna and Swiss Ordnance and maybe a Model 29 - all of which are readily available to me in the USA.

It does, however, look to be exceedingly costly here, both as far as the actual firearms are concerned, and the travelling needed to go visit them, although Bedford is not too far from me. I am more concerned, however, with the manner in which these hyper-expensive firearms can and cannot be used. It seems more like visiting an old relative serving a life-sentence with no parole, and about as much fun. 'Locked in', and 'handed the box with your gun so that you can get on with it', presumbly in a solitary, serious, non-competetive, historically considered and non-enthusing way, sounds as much fun as prising your own eyes out with a trowel.

Thanks, but no thanks.

tac