Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
I'd be looking at Swedish Nagant and Husqvarna and Swiss Ordnance and maybe a Model 29 - all of which are readily available to me in the USA. It is possible to personally import a S7(3). You only need a S5 dealer to take it from the port (or airport) to the Designated Site. I have done this twice, once from Spain and once from Belgium. You will also find that live firers are less money than deacts. However a Model 29 is going to be expensive wherever and whatever. The others will be much more modest.

It does, however, look to be exceedingly costly here, both as far as the actual firearms are concerned, and the travelling needed to go visit them, although Bedford is not too far from me. Herts & Essex are near Braintree and is a lively collector's club. Bisley is ferociously expensive. presumbly in a solitary, serious, non-competetive, historically considered and non-enthusing way, Not so, provided you enjoy the company of like minded collectors. There is no competition allowed and you may not handle anyone else's pistol but you can learn a whole lot from the other collectors. Unfortunately, you cannot try-before-you-buy. If you are interested in collecting, it will suit you, if you are only interested in shooting "as before" this is not possible. These are the limited means by which collectors were able to save some of the country's heritage, it is not a "loophole" through which everyone can ride. If it is not for you, so be it, I enjoy it but then I'm an inveterate collector.

tac
See above