Thread: 7.3 Heritage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi
    I am just in the process of filling in the forms for variation on my licence for section 7
    Last edited by ferrit; 28-08-2012 at 06:47 PM.

I guess the first question would be, why do want 2 x .455 Webley's on sec 7:1....or do you mean 1 x .38 and 1 x .455

Hi
    I was advised a .38 Webley would not be coverd under section 7.1
    Last edited by ferrit; 28-08-2012 at 06:48 PM.

I don't understand this, why would you apply for a 7(1) certificate for a .455 webley when that caliber is on the obsolete calivbers list?

Cancel that, I remember .455 was on the list but it's on the list as "Not being on the list".......
    Last edited by markH; 09-03-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markH View Post
    I don't understand this, why would you apply for a 7(1) certificate for a .455 webley when that caliber is on the obsolete calivbers list?

Cancel that, I remember .455 was on the list but it's on the list as "Not being on the list".......
    That makes just about as much sense as any of the rest of the application form.

tac

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent
    Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
    That makes just about as much sense as any of the rest of the application form.

tac
    I'd guess that .450 and others are probably listed as obsolete: so they get questions about
    .455 so often that they're letting you know up front that no, this one isn't lumped in with the others.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

I know someone with eight webleys, they are a collection. Go visit some places of herritage, museums and the like, they may have hundreds of the same gun.

What you have to realise is that the people who have them often built up an encylopedic knowledge of them, you may have one with a serial number x but also a later one just because it shows a difference in the machining marks or change of proof house or even because they dont show a difference. I keep trying to emphasise they are not held for the purpose of shooting thats just a sub topic of their appreciation and study.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

It's quite simple, if you look at the home office Obsolete calibers list they give a list of the calibers which are treated as antiques, they also give a list of old guns "Which should not benefit from exemption as antiques". The .455 is on the second list.... thereby they are "on the list that is not on the list"

http://www.david-squires.org.uk/Antiques.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeless Coal View Post
    ...you may have one with a serial number x but also a later one just because it shows a difference in the machining marks or change of proof house or even because they dont show a difference.
    That's a very interesting concept there, Mr Coal - 'My collection is of extreme historical interest because all the guns in it are exactly the same'.

That's a reason to collect historically significant handguns that I must admit had thus far escaped me utterly.

tac