Quote Originally Posted by tacfoley View Post
I looked at the possibility of going down this route a while back, but decided that it was a whole lot cheaper to fly out to Oregon a couple of times a year to shoot my handguns than go through the pain you guys have to go through in order to shoot your own guns.

If one of you who is currently shooting your own handgun under the aegis of this form of license would be good enough to tell the rest of us the where and how of it, I'd be very grateful. All I get from the one guy I know who shoots 7.3 heritage is a load of patronising BS.

tac
I think you are laboring under a misapprehension about section 7, especially 7(3). This exemption applies to historic or important firearms that deserve to be preserved or collected. It is not a loophole so people can carry on shooting pistols just like before.
The vast majority of the pistols held at Bisley (and probably elsewhere) are of .455 calibre and Webleys. There are also S&W, Colt, Luger, Mauser etc etc. There are a few more modern pistols but they have to have an outstanding characteristic that will exempt them from Section 5.
There has been a lot of misinformation given out regarding the pistols in the collection and the NRA seem to be completely unaware that it happens at Bisley (except when it come to setting the fees - up 30% this year).