Thread: 7.3 Heritage?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

So. . . please explain this again. . .

. . . there's a Section 7.1, and a Section 7.3: and one of these categories allows you to keep an operable condition cartridge pistol at home, but you can't shoot it, or possess ammo that fits it.

And the other category allows you to shoot such a pistol, at certain approved ranges: but you have to store the pistol, and the ammo for it, at such a range.

And in either case, the pistol in question has to be historically significant, in some way, correct? How defined?

But isn't there some other category for operable conditions pistols chambered for obsolete calibers, that allows you to purchase same without a license?

And doesn't the latter include deactivated cartridge pistols, antique muzzleloading pistols (how defined?), and deactivated modern muzzleloading pistols?

Sorry for all the questions: but this is very confusing to me.

I think that I understand Sections 2, 1, and 5 OK.

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

We have section 58 for obsolete caliber Jim. Our government (Home Office) publishes a list of obsolete calibers and guns on it.These are "off ticket".

section 7.1 covers collectables allowed at home these are held on a Firearms Certificate. As you say ammunition cannot be held for them but...... if you have a .38 revolver on 7.1 and perhaps an underlever rifle in .38 under section 1 you would have the ammo at home for the rifle (it would not of course be used in the revolver).

section 7.3 allows pistols to be held at Herritage sites but we have to assemble and store its ammo at the site.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Thank you, Smokeless!

Section 58. . . that's what I was thinking of. It's similar to our (US) law about antique cartridge guns: but I have to admit that it makes more sense. Our law exempts cartridge guns made before 1899: regardless of caliber. So you have some guns in perfectly shootable condition, chambered for ammo calibers available at your local sporting goods store, that are exempt from gun control laws.

That's provided it was made in 1898, or earlier. Another specimen, same make, model and caliber but made in 1899 or later, WOULD be subject to the gun control laws.

What's the cut-off year for a muzzleloader being regarded as off-ticket in the UK?

Jim
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

thats 1939 Jim. But they must not be fired, to fire would require them to be put on FAC.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

OK, 1939. . . probably a good cut-off year. Modern muzzleloader production didn't start in earnest till the 1950's - 60's.

Jim

An annoying thing is that the EU directive places all muzzle loaders into a no need for licence section. You would think all Europe would sing from the same song sheet, but no they leave it to each nation to decide which gun laws they want.

The EU directive is like US federal law: muzzleloaders, whether legitimate antiques, or newly manufactured replicas, are not regulated under federal law.

Each individual state has its own policy, of course.