Thread: Second hand broken pistol prices?

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick

Second hand broken pistol prices?

If a very good condition pistol should sell for around 60% of new price how much should a broken one sell for, even if the seller thinks it's collectable but like most "manufactured collectables" (see Franklin Mint) isn't the money maker that most unfortunate buyers might have hoped?

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Ive owned a couple of this kind of 'instant collectable' type pistol. Appart from the pretend 'superior finish' they were made of the same soft alloy / pot metal as the standard ones that results in them wearing out pretty quickly under any kind of sustained use. I sold mine on and didnt miss them at all. There are plenty of proper collectable pistols around that are interesting pieces of engineering, durable with good spares availability and are rewarding to shoot.

I have bought broken pistols in the past and had them repaired. I just reduce the normal price by what I think the repair will cost.
    This doesnt work as it always ends up costing me more than their market value but I accept this as it pleases me to bring them back to life.

I have never bought one that couldnt be fixed tho.

I have bought far more pistols at full market price which have defects that show up shortly after!

I never sell a broken or defective gun as I want to sell more!

I have had guns repaired and then sold them at a discounted price to the chap who fixed them.

I doubt that answers your Q Nick.

The asking price and the purchase price for any item for sale are likely to differ widely.

This is one of the reasons we delete comments on price in the sales section.

This is also why making a new rule about not deleting asking price in the sales section is useless, because it means nothing.

We get enough complaints about people firing in "silly" offers for goods for sale, and can often name the culprits before opening the message.

Some people like to play games with prices, and either try to shaft potential buyers, and snare one who has no idea of the items real worth, or snag a bargain by under offering to a seller.

What really winds me up is the person haggling over as little as a fiver, then having the temerity to complain when the buyer sells to someone who is not messing them about. I've seen all sorts of excuses, but it comes down to one thing, do you want it or not?
    "Improvise, adapt and overcome."

I can count to potato.

Quote Originally Posted by delta1 View Post
    The asking price and the purchase price for any item for sale are likely to differ widely.

This is one of the reasons we delete comments on price in the sales section.

This is also why making a new rule about not deleting asking price in the sales section is useless, because it means nothing.

We get enough complaints about people firing in "silly" offers for goods for sale, and can often name the culprits before opening the message.

Some people like to play games with prices, and either try to shaft potential buyers, and snare one who has no idea of the items real worth, or snag a bargain by under offering to a seller.

What really winds me up is the person haggling over as little as a fiver, then having the temerity to complain when the buyer sells to someone who is not messing them about. I've seen all sorts of excuses, but it comes down to one thing, do you want it or not?

I have just posted similar in 'General' - I would add though - it is sad to say some guns are more valuable broken up as parts than complete and broken (if you see what I mean)

sol1821 is offline I'm back from resting, and I have the Jaffacakes!!
    Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    If a very good condition pistol should sell for around 60% of new price how much should a broken one sell for, even if the seller thinks it's collectable but like most "manufactured collectables" (see Franklin Mint) isn't the money maker that most unfortunate buyers might have hoped?

- Nick
    i do like it when you post one of these threads Nick
    Particle physics gives me a hadron.
    Sliced bread.
    The best thing since ripped up bread.

Bit like an iceberg.
    You know there is a lot more to it than you can see.