Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blind Air Rifle Shooting

Blind Air Rifle Shooting

Well, do you think that you could do this with your eyes closed?

Rutty

Clever stuff indeed.

Sometimes I think closing my eyes might actually help me hit something
    Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

nice shooting & fair play to him & other folks who are blind & can shoot still, however i wear glasses & i would hope i could carry on shooting & enjoying this great sport if i went blind for some reason.

great to see a happy video for a change !!

We've got this kit at Blackburn and it is impressive to watch but the scores some of the blind shooters put are are even more impressive.

Are any of the Blind shooters at Blackburn shooting without a spring stand?

Rutty

We have two rifles fitted out at the club for blind shooting, and most of the air rifle shooters have tried it, believe me, its not easy.
    As a by the way when we were instructing we found he best way to help was to have a small laser taped under the barrel to help the shooter find the target noise.
    Peter

As a by the way when we were instructing we found he best way to help was to have a small laser taped under the barrel to help the shooter find the target noise.
    That's interesting, but to be honest we have never found any real difficulty in judging from behind the correction needed to get on target. There is one proviso though, that is if you have taken care to get the spring stand adjusted to the correct height for the individual shooter as lateral is much easier to judge than vertical. When starting to teach without the stand I have found SCATT or RIKA useful initially. You set the sensor up level with the target illumination lamp.

BTW, the shooter in the video has a PB of 596 unsupported.

Rutty

To be honest the majority of blind shooters I have helped have had no interest in shooting, we had pupils come from a school for the blind, it was more a morning out in the country for them.they enjoyed it and so did I, not shure about the other chaps from the club though.
    As with most things, the funding for staff, petrol ect. dried up and we lost them.
    Peter

To be honest the majority of blind shooters I have helped have had no interest in shooting, we had pupils come from a school for the blind, it was more a morning out in the country for them.they enjoyed it and so did I, not shure about the other chaps from the club though.
    As with most things, the funding for staff, petrol ect. dried up and we lost them.
    Peter

We had similar problems with the local RNIB College. Although some of the students were quite keen, the logistics of getting them to the club frequently proved "too difficult". We have hosted groups organised by the local blind support charity, but those have really only been "activity days" and haven't gone any further.

Rutty

East Midlands, 6 chains from the graveyard.
    A sadly missed friend of mine was a junior British champion at blind shooting, being blind was just one of his many health issues, a lot of time was put in by his father taking him to events. Although he died young, with the help of family and friends (and his own determination) he fitted in a lot in his short life, sometimes makes me think I should try harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Rutty View Post
    Are any of the Blind shooters at Blackburn shooting without a spring stand?

Rutty
    The group of regulars all now shoot off hand. We started them off on stands with a laser pointer on the rifle to make it easier for the helper to get them on aim but we found that they pretty soon got the hang of it.

I used to assist on Thursday at Keelby when we had the Svarovski kit for visually impaired shooters, the kit and the people who used to shoot with us have now gone to another club in the Lincs area but the shooters would often get we sighted shooters to have a go with their equipment, very much not as easy as you would think,I have a reasonable average at 25 yard smallbore and regularly shoot air rifle but to not use your eyes when they are there makes you realise that other senses are amplified when you lose a different one, the tone in the headphones was so difficult for me to interpret that I could never get even near the scores of those people
    Martini
    Good Deals with Mikewaring, ggggr, watchsapart, Majex45, Nhill, zebedee71,Eredel,Hawksthorn,Red Bob, Stanbridge,Barrow_Matt,Mr.Fixit-Norm, turbo33 .atb thankyou all Neil

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Rutty
    Have you tried it as a training aid of sighted shooters, could do wonders for the inner position?
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Have you tried it as a training aid of sighted shooters, could do wonders for the inner position?
    That is a major discussion area in itself. However, there is no need to use blind shooting equipment to try it, SCATT has a sound generator incorporated. If you go to the Tools menu you will find it as the last item after the Print options.

Rutty