Thread: New to the Forum

New to the Forum

Morning All,

I'm new to the forum so thought a quick introduction was in order.
    I have been on the Stalking Directory forum for a number of years. I am predominantly into my deer management and stalking and have done so for 8 years. Brought up on a farm and from a military background I like many started with an old air gun and progressed from there spending many happy hours crawling round the farm thinning out the vermin. I now work and live in London so when i do make it home to the farm and other permissions, I predominantly get out for the deer.
    A year or so, I got into reloading and really enjoy it. I have only really scratched the surface and have a lot to learn. I have also got into long range shooting and would like to do more if it. I hope to join the BBS NRPC in order to meet other like minded people and glean valuable information about the dark art of home loading so I can get both my .243 and .30-06 shooting to there maximum ability. ....and of course improve my shooting!

As well as the above, i am also looking for a new scope for my .17 HMR. I have been looking at the MTC Viper 6-24x56 but don’t really want the 56mm Objective. It is going to swamp what is a lovely little handy rifle, however, I need more magnification. Any recommendations welcome!

ATB

Mick

Just a small comment about optics, even with top quality 20x mag needs 50mm objective to give you the light that makes the image look "normal" 50x with 50mm would seem dark and difficult to define, your not Pysicaly going to get 24x with less than 50+ mm objective.

Forget for a second about guns, best bird watching binocs are 8x42, not much magnification and a very large objective lense, Thing of telescopes with 200mm Lenses they only magnify 30 or 40 times max.

BUT there is good news, the human eye can "see" more detail with MORE light, try a 12x50 vrs 20x50 , your EYE will see MORE @12x50 then it does at 20x50 because each photon receptor cone in your eye is getting more info!

Hence why surgeons use HUGE lights ... it gives the virtual effect of x2 mag, more light in your eye means better image, dont think that 30 to 40 x mag is any good at all without HUGE optics to get the light in.

Fox

hi and welcome to the forum mick

Hi and welcome aboard, nice to see another Londoner here.

hi and welcome

Hi & welcome to the BB's.
    Have a look at Bushnell 6500 50mm scopes for the HMR.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.