Thread: sub 12 ftbs

sub 12 ftbs

was wondering what distance you can accuratly target shoot at sub 12ftbs cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rapido View Post
    was wondering what distance you can accuratly target shoot at sub 12ftbs cheers.
    The answer is, what distance can you accurately target shoot with 12ftlb.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

have a play at diffrent distances and see what you get there is a girl on here who shoots out to 200 meters

have a look should be some videos in there somewhere
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433394

her name is cubleycat

Modern air rifles are VERY accurate machines. WE the shooters are the limiting factor.To answer the question as asked the longest distance over which SERIOUS competitions take place is 55 yards. Even at that distance WIND is the killer. Most modern air rifles will shoot 15mm targets accurately at that distance in still conditions.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

target distance

thanks for your answers, much appreciated will have a experiment next calm day, cheers.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by astraman1 View Post
    have a play at diffrent distances and see what you get there is a girl on here who shoots out to 200 meters

have a look should be some videos in there somewhere
    http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=433394

her name is cubleycat
    yes totally agree have tried it myself and can truly say it is as her video's show
    and found that you can accurately hit a target ie can or paper target at maximum i have tried is 307m .177 and 198m .22 both with sub 12ft power rifles yet choose to target shoot at 100yards competition shoot at under 55yards down to 8yards and pest control at 23-45yards but odd occasions i will play in my yard constantly at 15-25m targets with appropriate backstop to avoid richocet but all done responsibly
    also you can accurately hit the target at that range once you take into account all variables ie wind to target, wind at target and at shooters position, ammo ballistics, power drop and the drop off of the pellet through to target

also most competition only use as far 55yards and accurately ensure clean kill of pests like rabbits etc are mostly taken at 40yards or less at the end of the day it is the shooters choice as to wheather you want to plink at 100yard+, competition shoot upto 55yards or to just play at anything inbetween the most important thing to remember is

PLAY SAFE WITHIN THE LAW AND OBEY THE RULES REGARDING AIRGUNNING

this is to ensure that you can when you want to use your airgun when you want to rather than have restrictions placed due to missuse and have fun we all probably started with the old hit a beer can on a fence at 10m then try to hit targets you placed in your back yard then progress to pest control and competition shooting just each to there own

hope this helps you out
    cheers Andy
    Not enough space to write the collection but 5 gun cabinets and a big shed does the trick
    "SHOOT IT, SKIN IT, COOK IT, EAT IT " and my favourite only a blind man says "i cant see the target in my scope" and is telling the truth

When you get out to 200 yards the pellet (.177 JSB at 11.2fpe as an example) will be dropping 3"/yard, so if you were only 5 yards out with your rangefinding you'd miss the target by more than a foot.

That's not to say it's not fun to plink at these ranges. IMO there needs to be some consistency to make long range stuff fun, much beyond 100 yards then any wind makes it a bit of a lottery and starts to take the fun out of it for me, it becomes quite literally hit or miss.

At 250 yards there would be 40 feet of pellet drop, it's no longer truly an aimed shot, more like artillery.

It's meant to be fun, so start at 50 yards and work back. Keep some notes on where you need to aim etc. Initially you will be able to adjust your scope, but eventually you will need to aim off (using Mildots or similar) or pack the underside of the rear mount significantly to get the required elevation.

Just bear in mind that a crosswind of only 1mph - which you can barely detect - will blow your pellet something like 2 inches off course at 100 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Just bear in mind that a crosswind of only 1mph - which you can barely detect - will blow your pellet something like 2 inches off course at 100 yards.
    Most of the time the weather forcast mentions winds of 10/15mph.
    On good days I've noticed quite often winds are slowest early morning & pick up as the day progresses.
    The days with the least wind seem to be frosty mornings.
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

This site might help.
    I got readings from Pershore @ 9mph & B'Ham airport @ 12mph a few minutes ago.
    Most of the time I just look out of the front window, if the trees appear to be leaning over I leave the gun at home & walk the dog instead.
    I'm not long range shooting yet, I've still to find the best pellet for my barrel.
    The wind map site will come in use when I'm ready though.
    As they say, every little helps.
    http://www.xcweather.co.uk/
    Rabbit Stew, no artificial additives except lead.
    IF THE MUD REACHES YOUR KNEES GET OUT OF THE FIELD QUICK.
    WANTED. UNF MOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Most of the time the weather forcast mentions winds of 10/15mph.
    On good days I've noticed quite often winds are slowest early morning & pick up as the day progresses.
    The days with the least wind seem to be frosty mornings.
    Good reasons for that. The air temperature is usually quite stable overnight; it's when the sun comes up in the morning and warms the ground that thermally induced currents begin.

Frosts in this country tend to occur when the air pressure is high and there is little wind. Low pressure is associated with much steeper pressure gradients and therefore higher winds. Tornados and hurricanes are examples of very severe pressure gradients.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellycrawler View Post
    Cracking site, thanks for sharing.

Al

Distance

I Have a BSA xl tactical and on a good calm day it's accurate upto around 80 yrds......over that it gets a little sketchy!! Or is that just me!!!!!!!!

i have a tdr that has been internally polished by hydrographics and is super consistent and it and i can strike matches inside at 60 meters(more the gun and bipod than me lol)

id agree with a lot of the comments, its the person that limits the guns accuracy.