Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best built c02 pistol?

I think the Makarov is the best multi shot c02 that I have, mine is an an early one and I think the later versions have a cast top slide rather than the milled out ones. The first ones for this reason are probability more solid. I have heard there is a mag that takes pellets for this pistol but not sure if this is so, as it sounds like it will just jam up. Would be interested if anyone has tried one of these.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAZY View Post
    I think the Makarov is the best multi shot c02 that I have, mine is an an early one and I think the later versions have a cast top slide rather than the milled out ones. The first ones for this reason are probability more solid. I have heard there is a mag that takes pellets for this pistol but not sure if this is so, as it sounds like it will just jam up. Would be interested if anyone has tried one of these.
    That would be the Baikal one your referring to

Never heard of a pellet version and I cant see how that could work

The rifled barrel was intended for 4.45 round lead shot as I understand it

Yep, me being silly, I must have read lead BB and thought pellet. Thanks for that.

co2 longevity

Most of the modern CO2 pistols fail eventually due their complexity and number of parts made with inferior metallurgy.Not to say that they cannot be repaired.The old Crosman 600 is fairly complex but made of better stuff, so if you want a repeater go for this or the Drulov DU10 which is also easy to fix if need be. Single shot buy and old Crosman 150 or 157, 60 year old quality that just keeps going and going, simple and strong.

Baz

And dont forget the Benjamin EB 17/20/22 series. Mainly brass and no plastic that I can think of. 5ft/lb + and accurate if you can manage to fettle the rear sight. Built like brick outhouses. The crude trigger is made slightly more tolerable by fitting a good quality trigger shoe. Only available new in .22 these days - IRO £150. 'Ricks Grips' in the States does some lovely custom wood grips for them too. Well worth a look.

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Smith & Wesson 78 and 79 are two more you'll have to make provision for in your will.
    The same applies to Crosman Model 88 Skanaker, FEG GPM 01 and Alpha Sport, there are a lot of excellent CO2 target pistols out there
    ATB,
    Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

As already stated, the Makarov is the best made CO2 repeater.

Built like a T34, solid steel throughout.

+ 1 for the Makarov. Especially the older models, since its made in the same factory as the real gun all the parts used are very high quality and it actually uses many real parts.

The witness has one of the worst build qualities imo. Cheap pistol but many of the internals are made out of plastic and after about 2000 shots you will notice things getting loose and the gun failing to perform as it once did. Also the metal used is a very cheap alloy that has not been mixed properly (visible if you strip the paint).

I found the crossman c41 to have pretty good build quality. Also the magnum research desert eagle has a pretty good internal build although the external plastic body feels kinda flimsy.

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by junaid8 View Post

The witness has one of the worst build qualities imo. Cheap pistol but many of the internals are made out of plastic and after about 2000 shots you will notice things getting loose and the gun failing to perform as it once did.
    how many of the intenal parts are plastic ?
    and can you tell me what parts failed to perform ?
    Getting Old

The plastic arm that strips the bb's from the mag deformed on my first on after about 1000 shots......three days old.

I don't think anyone is saying that the Witness is not a bag of fun to shoot but next to a Makarov or a Crosman 600 you can see difference in built quality.

The Witness preforms well for the money and I will be intrested to see how long my second one lasts.
    Zastava Owners Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Aardys View Post
    how many of the intenal parts are plastic ?
    and can you tell me what parts failed to perform ?

I don't know the name of all the parts but quite a few of them are plastic due to cut costs. As above the bb feeding rod whatever its called is weak and they designed it like it were an airsoft gun. Considering how strong the spring on the magazine is and the heavier projectile you'd expect it to be a bit sturdier (it can easily snap off). Also the barrel gets very wobbly on the ones I've seen which significantly affects the accuracy over time. Seen some where the front sight falls off because of the blowback, gun starts to fire full auto even if the safety is on (in England that's actually illegal), magazine falling out (don't know the name of the part but the thing that keeps the mag locked in is plastic on the ones I've seen) and the one that bothers me the most is the gas sealing. Even with new mags I've seen some fire 40 bb's before the co2 depletes. I believe this is because the gun starts to wear down and release and waste too much gas.

I'm not knocking the witness, I think its a great gun and alot of fun to shoot for the price. I just think people expect too much from it in terms of reliability. I wish they made a premium version or better version of it though. I'd happily pay twice the price for one.

tinbum is offline Killer Vampire Lesbians on scooters
    The Crosman C-TT feels quite solid. All pretty good metal construction and decent internals. Then again, it's not a blowback model so it won't shake itself to pieces.
    God rest ye jelly mental men

Aardys is offline Formerly Old gun/git/ formerly oldcliff/formerly (watch this bleddy space)...
    Quote Originally Posted by junaid8 View Post
    I don't know the name of all the parts but quite a few of them are plastic due to cut costs. As above the bb feeding rod whatever its called is weak and they designed it like it were an airsoft gun. Considering how strong the spring on the magazine is and the heavier projectile you'd expect it to be a bit sturdier (it can easily snap off). Also the barrel gets very wobbly on the ones I've seen which significantly affects the accuracy over time. Seen some where the front sight falls off because of the blowback, gun starts to fire full auto even if the safety is on (in England that's actually illegal), magazine falling out (don't know the name of the part but the thing that keeps the mag locked in is plastic on the ones I've seen) and the one that bothers me the most is the gas sealing. Even with new mags I've seen some fire 40 bb's before the co2 depletes. I believe this is because the gun starts to wear down and release and waste too much gas.

I'm not knocking the witness, I think its a great gun and alot of fun to shoot for the price. I just think people expect too much from it in terms of reliability. I wish they made a premium version or better version of it though. I'd happily pay twice the price for one.
    hmm before i answer , are you getting mixed up with the 6mm bb version of the tanfoglio witness
    or the cybergun tanfoglio witness .177 bb's
    Getting Old