Thread: red dot

red dot

hi just treated my-self to a brocock grand-prix tried it up the range and yes i like it a lot. its a bit front heavy
    with the silencer fitted very long for a pistol,I would just like to hear opinions on the red dot sights,do they work or are they a bit
    of a gimmick if you've tried one what do you think.
    thanks brian

Red dots are good, especially for pistols and afford you quick target acquisition. They are ideal in low light conditions (go for one with the option of green or red dots) and variable intensity. A high intensity red can blind out the target from your sight picture. However, do your pistol justice and don't go and buy a £20 job. You can get quite nice units from £30 - £60. Have a look at JSR brand ones as well.

thanks ash
    this is what i need to know are they normal mounts or weever
    brian.

I've tried the ultra cheapo JSR one (which I think is the same as the cheapest Crosman) on my Beeman 2004E and it does work. I'm hopeless with a pistol and open sights (and the open sights on the 2004E aren't the best anyway) so even with the cheapo red-dot I'm getting better results. It doesn't hold zero well though, so I'm also thinking of going for a better one.

The one I have is 11mm rail and it looks like there are lots of red dots available in that and also in the weaver mount.

For most folk they work well. As Ash said try and buy a better build quality unit.

They come in 11mm and Weaver mounts. The dot size is important. Most are 4moa that is fine for general plinking but if you want more pin-point accuracy go for a 2moa.

Good luck, phil

I bought a Hawke one when I was out at lunchtime so will update you once I've had a chance to try it. It comes with both weaver and 11mm mounts as standard.

I have a hawke red dot fitted on my HW45, it works perfectly, but I would recommend getting one with a single view lens, like this one http://www.sunarmsairsoft.com/shop/i...20_120_100.jpg
    As the one I have is a hawke, but is a tube style red dot, and I find it harder to use, but personal preference.

hi
    Ive been back to the shop today the only ones they have are hawk or gamo.
    both need the rear sight removing but i want one that sits back and up from the front mount.
    thanks for help so far brian.