Thread: Scope corrections or aiming off?

Scope corrections or aiming off?

Morning all, now that this long range target shooting malarkey has got me hooked I have a question. Do you long rangers correct your scope zero to the given targets distance or do you aim off accordingly?

I'm zeroed in for 35 yds perfectly, and I use the aim off method with mildots right out to 70 yds. I don't want to keep adjusting my scope so that method works for me just fine, what method do you guys and gals use?

I'm aware that when I progress out to 100 + yds the mildots won't cover the distance as the max mag I use is 6x so corrections at the scope end are going to be needed.

Thanks

Al

I used to use the aim-off method for hunting and always got reasonable results at sensible ranges. However, since switching to MTC scopes I'm now sold on their Small Calibre Ballistic Reticule with their multiple aim points and have calculated the necessary holdover using these different aim points out to about 80yds for my FAC Superten and 120yds for my .22 rimfire. I really find these reticules so much better than normal Mildots for accuracy on small targets at long range.

I haven't yet used the adjustable turrets on my Bushnell Elite 6-24x50, but then as it's on a .22-250 I've not really felt the need to. My worry would always be does the scope return back exactly to zero? Probably not an issue for our boys out in Afganistan with their Schmidt & Benders but it might just be an issue on the cheaper scopes us airgunners tend to use...

Better to adjust the scope for the distance required.But if you are using the gun for multiple puroses this causes problems.Better to have a dedicated long range gun with the sights set for purpose,but if you are using the same gun for hunting you will have to readjust zero evry time you want to shoot mormal ranges with it.
    [URL=http://www.ukchineseairgunforum.org.uk/index.php[/URL]

As a rule to myself, I normally zero my scopes into 50yrds, then use the aim off method with the help of my mildots.

I have my .177 zero set for 35 yards and use mills to aim off on my mtc viper set at ten mag using bisley magnums gets me out to 6o yards with aim points to spare . Like the mtc scb ret bought another today a mamba light for hunting

I dile in for anything over 46 yards

I have a long-range (sic) rifle, which I zero at 100m, but this is used only at 100m. My other rifles are all zeroed at 25m and I use holdover to allow for different distances. I use range charts printed from ChairGun based on actual muzzle velocity.