Thread: More Ruger Old Army Qs

More Ruger Old Army Qs

while cleaning after a FFFg pyrodex shoot, would you strip away the grips, etc as well, to clean?

I am just removing the cylinder + nipples...dunking the barrel [keeping the grips clear] in solvent

Am new to this - so maintenance regime advice will be highly appreciated

Thanks!

By solvent, I assume you mean hot H2O with a couple of drops of liquid soap?

Could get really expensive, else.

I tear mine down totally about once every six weeks or so - but then I shoot it most weekends, too. Otherwise the grips come off, the nipples come out, and it's toothbrush and barrel brush time.

BTW, put e TEENY amount of Coppaslip or similar on the nipples when replacing them, and do that by holding the cylinder in the one hand, and turning the nipples in at the same time as having a firm-but-just-slipping-grip on the cylinder. Tightening to cylinder head settings is NOT necessary.

tac

Mine it stainless. I strip it completely each time, spray with brake cleaner and brush then flush with boiling water and leave to dry. Once it's dry and cooled I wipe over lightly with oil including the inside of the barrel, put it back together and store. The bloke I bought it off used to strip it and put it in the dish washer and oiled it on re assembly once it was dry, but he is single

Rick
    It's not my faulty, I was just.....

I remove the cylinder and grips and drop the metal parts in HOT water with washing up liquid. Scrub barrel and cylinder bore with cleaning jag and use an old toothbrush on the rest of it. Dry externally with a rag and use a hair drier to heat/dry internally. Spray in all the bits with WD40 and put it back together with a dab of grease on the pin when refitting the cylinder. Job done. Every so often (6 monthly) i strip compleatly and reassemble with copper grease and never had a problem yet in ten years of shooting b/p. As Tac says, you dont need to over tighten. Takes ten minutes. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The bloke I bought it off used to strip it and put it in the dish washer and oiled it on re assembly once it was dry, but he is single

Rick
    I tried this a couple of times, but it removed the blueing from the sights, so not recommended.

Lightbulb

Thanks guys - i am not confident of removing the grips - or do i mean of being able to put it back together......

Will try though - i have a solvent which seems effective.

Dead easy mate. Remove the screw in the grip and the grips come off. After cleaning, Refit grips then put screw back in. They will only fit one way. DONT OVER TIGHTEN THE SCREW THOUGH. It will pull through and bugger the grips. Tim.

... and if you do want to take it to pieces, there is an excellent disassembly video here
    http://youtu.be/SFFvPIJeYRU

and one to put it back together here - http://youtu.be/PjzzEB1236g

Steve

Thorough clean

When I had black powder revolvers I used to field strip and use warm water with a few drops of washing up liquid. Scrub down barrel and chambers, brush under topstrap and breech face and anywhere else you fancy. Poke something through the nipples, like a barbeque skewer.
    Reassemble.
    Then boil a kettle full of water and (holding the pistol over the sink with a coathanger or similar) pour boiling water over everything. Repeat if you feel the need. Then while everything is very hot, spray liberally with WD40. Place in a polybag while still hot and twist the neck to exclude air.
    Never a trace of rust.