Thread: Renewal Imminent - Reccomend Me a BP Pistol (or 2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    You WILL be asked WHY you need two cylinders - and the reality is - you don't !

If you shoot a standard BP precision comp - it's 13 shots loaded 5 + 5 +3 ..... so two cylinders are no help & a waste of your money .

Thanks for the reply - I don't understand this bit though. If it's 13 shots loaded surely that's exactly why you do need 2 extra cylinders (3 in total)? I must have got the wrong end of this bit???

I don't see that holding extra cylinders is any different to me holding extra mags for my Ruger 10/22 - at least that's analogy I'm planning on using with the FEO. I could still muddle my way through and shoot the competitions with one mag, but it makes them impractical. I appreciate the cylinder is a pressure bearing component and all that, but just like a magazine it's pretty useless without the rest of the gun to go with it. I'll keep you all up to speed on the renewal.

I understand about the cost of the wads etc. but to get me started I think it's the way to go. Once I have the pistol and am a bit more experienced with it I would like to start exploring casting my balls, making wads etc. - it's a whole new world to explore! The plus side for me being it's a bit cheaper to get started than re-loading metallic cased ammunition, although I have a .357 Winchester that needs feeding too.......
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    Thanks for the reply - I don't understand this bit though. If it's 13 shots loaded surely that's exactly why you do need 2 extra cylinders (3 in total)? I must have got the wrong end of this bit???
    Sorry - should have added ... Its a 30 minute time limit - you load within the time limit - comp here http://www.britishpistolclub.org/MLC.HTM

Its about THE commonest BP pistol comp shot ....

I don't see that holding extra cylinders is any different to me holding extra mags for my Ruger 10/22 - at least that's analogy I'm planning on using with the FEO. I could still muddle my way through and shoot the competitions with one mag, but it makes them impractical. I appreciate the cylinder is a pressure bearing component and all that, but just like a magazine it's pretty useless without the rest of the gun to go with it. I'll keep you all up to speed on the renewal.
    The original reason for NOT allowing them I understand - was to stop (a deranged ??) shooter - holding off the Police etc with multiple preloaded cylinders (as if you would choose a BP pistol for this purpose ????)

.... and which comps is it you are going to "muddle" through with one cylinder ?????

I understand about the cost of the wads etc. but to get me started I think it's the way to go. Once I have the pistol and am a bit more experienced with it I would like to start exploring casting my balls, making wads etc. - it's a whole new world to explore! The plus side for me being it's a bit cheaper to get started than re-loading metallic cased ammunition, although I have a .357 Winchester that needs feeding too.......
    Beware - casting becomes a hobby in it's own right - you have been warned !!!!

EDIT : and Reloading becomes a hobby too !!!

Cheers

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 03-02-2012 at 11:18 AM.

Roy - thanks for the reply explaining the time limit; I'm showing my ignorance there. I'm on a steep learning curve with this.

On the premiss that if you don't ask you don't get, I'm still going to request the extra cylinders. We'll see if the state paranoia clause gets invoked!

A couple of the guys at the club have warned me about the addictiveness of reloading - I feel I'm at the top of a very long and slippery slope! It all started off with a lever action Marlin 39, and has spiralled out of control from there........
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

By all means ask for the spare cylinders, we have plenty people in our club who have them. I suppose it's just another post-code lottery. good luck.
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

could the reason/need for extra cyclinders is to stop the fouling gummed barrel ...how many shots can you get before the gun needs cleaning
    ballkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by tdmrider View Post
    could the reason/need for extra cyclinders is to stop the fouling gummed barrel ...how many shots can you get before the gun needs cleaning
    You could have a dozen cylinders - makes no difference - you only have one barrel ?? [confused ??]

I generally shoot a couple of cylinders & then push a nylon brush down mine once or twice - theres no leading & minimal fouling

I use black powder + dry wads and a squirt of BP lube on two cylinders

Roy