Thread: Renewal Imminent - Reccomend Me a BP Pistol (or 2)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Renewal Imminent - Reccomend Me a BP Pistol (or 2)

This is my first foray into the BP section so be gentle! I recently changed clubs and my new one has a few BP shooters in it - I must admit I didn't consider a BP pistol before but now I've seen a few in action I've really taken a shine to them.

Well to cut a long story short, my FAC is up for renewal now so it's a good time to request a couple of extra slots ready for a foray into / onto (?) the dark side. However I don't have a clue as to what's hot and what's not as far as BP pistols go so any advice and recommendations are welcome.

Over to you guys.
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Dont go for a Colt, go for a Remmington, Rogers and Spencer or a Ruger old army, preferably in stainless if you can afford it.

Just ask for one in .44 and one in .36, you can choose what you want later. You dont need to go the black powder route, you can use the alternatives which need no extra paper work or restrictions.

There are two trains of thought, those who stick to the spirit of the original and those that stick to the requirement of the FAC that is target shooting.

Muzzle loaders are not everyones cup of tea, thats why there are loads of cheap secondhand one available in mint condition and cheap. I've brought guns for £60 and even had a couple just given to me.

Every revolver is different and you need to "learn" it's little traits that make it different. They can be dead accurate and print cloverleafs or group over a foot and you have to work with them to get the best out of them.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 30-01-2012 at 10:03 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

BP looks like fun....but

It does look like fun and gives one an authentic pre-ban feel of what shooting a handgun should be about. I thought long and hard about it and then one fine day at the range, had the opportunity of watching 2 blokes fuss with one for a good couple of hours resetting primer nipples and cleaning one that had not been properly maintained. Loading took about 15minutes (in experienced hands) and shooting lasted all of 5 seconds!

I decided I just didn't have the patience and perhaps I was better off putting LBRs on my variation.

Thats just me. But by all means, try it. I can see how people can get enthusiastic about it and you don't have to use blackpowder (the pain of asking for a licence for that too) you can use pyrodex!

could you tell me whats wrong with the colt ?
    ballkeeper

A few things, to clean it you take the barrel off so the sighting is disturbed, the backsight is on the hammer so everytime you cock it the sighting is disturbed, there is no topstrap so it is generally accepted the gun is weaker, they are prone to jamming because the spent cap often falls into the hole where the hammer is. But its only my opinion, you make your own choice.

I work as a range officer and have lost count of the times I have had to sort out jammed Colts on the firing point. It often results in taking the barrel off to sort it, which is not a good feeling when the cylinder has loaded chambers.
    Last edited by Smokeless Coal; 30-01-2012 at 11:16 PM.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

was just asking ,as i am new to bp too, so what non black powder do you recomend

what about Pietta ?
    ballkeeper

Go for genuine black powder as it's cheaper than the substitutes (except swiss) and the license is free from the police, Some BP sustitutes can give you a slight delay on ignition compared to BP.

For non BP, Pyrodex and triple 7 are readily available in the UK. Pyro is made from BP modified so that it is classed as a propellant rather than an explosive, my view is that it is messier than BP. 777 is a modern substitute very similar to a nitro powder and cleans with just water. Neither need the paperwork or storage box required for BP, I order mine over the phone and get it in the post next day. Yes BP is cheaper but a bottle is likely to last you six months so do you quibble at £35?

The Italian guns are all much the same, the older Pietta were considered a better build though one I have is a right dog. The Ruger is by far the best IMHO but they stopped making it.