Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Renewal Imminent - Reccomend Me a BP Pistol (or 2)

does any one use a semolina as a filler,
    what bp competions are there, postal wise,

last one and in which calibre's are used
    ballkeeper

I went down the single shot route and to be honest havnt looked back. Yes i had a few problems to start with but once i got the load and sights sorted I did very well (so well I won the club BP pistol comp first time round). All I can say is if you do go fro a single shot or revolver for that matter go for one with fully adjustable sights.

I use semolina as a filler in both my Rugers and the Rogers. Use just enough on top of the powder to bring the ball flush with the mouth of the cylinder. Several of us shoot in the Hendon postal comps, gallery rifle, long barrel revolver and black powder pistol. 13 shots with the best 10 shots counting for the black powder comp. One of our guys collects the shot cards and generally orginises it for us, Ta Charles.

Quote Originally Posted by tim56 View Post
    I use semolina as a filler in both my Rugers and the Rogers. Use just enough on top of the powder to bring the ball flush with the mouth of the cylinder. Several of us shoot in the Hendon postal comps, gallery rifle, long barrel revolver and black powder pistol. 13 shots with the best 10 shots counting for the black powder comp. One of our guys collects the shot cards and generally orginises it for us, Ta Charles.
    cheers tim56 the comps sound fun,
    ballkeeper

It sounds from all the replies so far that BP pistol comps are along the lines of precision target competitions. Is there a competion run along the lines of the practical competitions / course of fire of old, modified for BP pistols? If not, why not?!?!??
    Buckle
    Proud member of The YCHJCYA2PDTHFH Club

Z1 Owners Club GB Wanted: Nothing at present!

Quote Originally Posted by Buckle View Post
    It sounds from all the replies so far that BP pistol comps are along the lines of precision target competitions. Is there a competion run along the lines of the practical competitions / course of fire of old, modified for BP pistols? If not, why not?!?!??
    Yes, some clubs do that sort of thing. Have a look at some of our club videos. Try no 043.

http://www.strathrifleclub.co.uk/wor...video-gallery/
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Have you tried http://www.henrykrank.com/index.html the .50 inline buckhunter pistol is very good
    "Men occasionally stumble on the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened" Winston Churchill
    http://planetairgun.com/index.php

Yes definately possible - you can shoot any of the old pistol comps - Police Pistol now Timed & Precision etc/ with a little ....err......'modification' - the only problem you have is time

While your BP shooters are reloading - the range is effectively 'out of use' - so to run a T&P for Black powder - you need a bleddy long time !

We shoot BP alongside Gallery rifle - so mixed range usage & we have to make it work - as we couldnt afford (or have enough shooters) to run a range just for BP

Roy

Quote Originally Posted by harricook View Post
    Yes definately possible - you can shoot any of the old pistol comps - Police Pistol now Timed & Precision etc/ with a little ....err......'modification' - the only problem you have is time

While your BP shooters are reloading - the range is effectively 'out of use' - so to run a T&P for Black powder - you need a bleddy long time !

Roy
    So we are now back to the requirement for extra cylinders I feel? Swopping cylinders mid competition is the only way to speed up the event and it's a pragmatic solution to my mind. I'm pretty much hoping that my FEO is going to see it this way. We'll see.
    Buckle

So we are now back to the requirement for extra cylinders I feel? Swopping cylinders mid competition is the only way to speed up the event and it's a pragmatic solution to my mind. I'm pretty much hoping that my FEO is going to see it this way. We'll see.
    You would need 5 cylinders to shoot a 'conventional' 30 round T&P 1 then ....... hope you have deep pockets

Having a spare (one) cylinder would gain you nothing

...... and as cylinders are only capped on the shooting point - you will still have to have an 'adjust'

I take it - you are itching to be Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider with that quick cylinder swap http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=610YsqZCtHc
    Unlike Clint - if carry around capped cylinders - you will get turfed off of most Ranges

Roy
    Last edited by harricook; 08-02-2012 at 06:20 PM.

This looks a bit of fun !

I like the one handed - in a rocking chair - with a bottle of Tequila in the other had !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CyZs...yer_detailpage

Roy

The first video of Clint - I think only he could pull that off. As you say, I dread to think what trouble a stunt like that would cause at a range!

Roy - As for the second video - words fail me!

DedIDick - thanks for links to the video's. I must admit that is more the kind of thing I was thinking, and not a rocking chair or bottle of tequila in sight! It just needs a mid shoot change of cylinders and we have all the ingredients!!

Many thanks chaps!
    Buckle

The first video of Clint - I think only he could pull that off. As you say, I dread to think what trouble a stunt like that would cause at a range!

Roy - As for the second video - words fail me!

DedIDick - thanks for links to the video's. I must admit that is more the kind of thing I was thinking, and not a rocking chair or bottle of tequila in sight! It just needs a mid shoot change of cylinders and we have all the ingredients!!

Many thanks chaps!
    Well if you can't find a suitable club down your way there's always room for more cowboys in the Highlands. (another Englishman here or there won't make much difference.)
    Pistol & Rifle Shooting in the Highlands with Strathpeffer Rifle & Pistol Club. <StrathRPC at yahoo.com> or google it.
    No longer Pumpin Oil but still Passin Gas!

Quick update - I have the FEO home visit on Tuesday next week; I'll let you all know how it goes ref the extra cylinders.
    Buckle

Extra cylinders to tell you the truth are a waste of time. They cost nearly as much as a whole revolver and given the initial "cool" factor and novelty value, you get to a stage where you only ever use one........ the one that's on the gun! On top of which, when it comes to selling that particular revolver with it's cylinders, you won't get anywhere near what you paid for them The police on a whole are a little loathe to give the variations for extra cylinders and an RFD knows this and you'll get pennies on the pound for them....... trust me, that's personal experience!!

"Colt" clones are great for the experience and a sense of history. Remington clones offer advantages such as the sighting plane and the ease of removing the cylinder. But, as generally, both from the same manufacturer, the "quality" is equal.

The Ruger Old Army is a very stout, accurate gun, but rough around the edges because of the casting of parts and lack of finishing. But, a very good gun. One major problem in the UK at the moment though, because Ruger stopped production of the Old Army after several decades, people seem to think that this gives an instant rise in the value!! Most people seem to be asking the price that the ROA was when it was new! I've seen one or two where the owners were wanting 900 quid! FFS!

Ruger dropped the Old Army because they made nearly 4 million of them and they don't wear out if looked after properly. Unfortunately, not many people in the UK understand that...

Euroarms made a fairly decent replica of the Rogers & Spencer, but again, standard of finish and the quality of some internal parts were questionable as far as quality was concerned. (Mine locked up completely after only firing 8 rounds from new!) The gun was scrapped by the importers and I was refunded, but I'd never buy another Euroarms!) That said, I believe they are now bust.....

The best B/P revolvers on the market today are the Remington and Rogers & Spencer made by Pedersoli and the FB History revolvers. These are the guns that they win world cahmpionship medals with. As close as you can get to a custom B/P revolver, but, they do retail at well over a grand! That said, that doesn't really make them expensive when you see second-hand Ruger prices! Unfortunately, the Pedersoli and FB revolvers are rarely seen on the second-hand market.