Thread: class of 75

class of 75

Took delivery of my 'new' (new to me) Original Model 75 last night.
    First impressions - it's a big gun! 1m13 long and weighing in at 5 kilos.
    Undoubtedly a piece of engineering though, and although heavy feels good 'in hold'.

It's a project gun, which needs a bit of TLC, but I'll strip & rebuild it over the next few weeks and put some photo's of the before, during & after.

Joins my HW77K and Rohm Twinmaster Trainer in the current (ever changing) collection.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob everyone else!
    7.6 litre V8 waiting to go into something nice. Sold my guns, Sold my bikes. Need them all back!

Welcome to the Model 75 experience!

As you say, it is a big gun - which is why so many owners removed the butt-plate spacer to make the rifle a more comfortable fit for themselves - or just to shift the balance back a little.

They are great target rifles - I am sure you will really enjoy shooting it.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Have you had time to check the fit and see if you want to keep the butt plate spacer?

If you do decide the rifle feels better for you without it - please let me know.

Thanks!

I've just spent an interesting evening rebuilding the 75.
    Bought the necessary seals etc. from Chambers.

I'd cleaned all of the internal parts and removed all of the bits of disintegrated old seals during the week.
    Polished out the score marks on the sliding breech and it really looks good now.
    It was a bit of a memory exercise working out where the plethora of pins, clips, rods & linkages that run the full length of the movement all went (helped by photo's taken on strip-down), but it's quite easy if you have the patience. Even the elusive 'idler gear' set-up was a deal more straightforward than I'd read on the 'net.
    Did a couple of test-fires, and surprisingly enough it actually works!

The stock isn't finished yet, so I can't report on handling, balance or accuracy, but as soon as it's back together I'll post up a photo.

And Zooma - butt plate spacer will almost certainly be available. I'll PM you as soon as I've double-checked.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob everyone else!
    7.6 litre V8 waiting to go into something nice. Sold my guns, Sold my bikes. Need them all back!

The Model 75 is a brilliant rifle that seems to impress everyone I know that has had a go with it - what a shame Diana withdrew from the match air rifle market as their ideas were good and their products superb..who know what we may be shooting with now if they kept their product development going?

Thanks for the comments about the spacer - I have a good home for it if it comes this way!

Bob.

The 75 is now back together with new seals and a newly stripped and oiled stock. Looks amazing and shoots beautifully,

BUT

Unfortunately finances dictate it now has to go. I'm gutted as I've been looking for one of these for a while and was really chuffed I found one.
    So, it's a freshly rebuilt Model 75 which has the original diopter sights and will come in a foam-lined hard carry-case.

I'm looking for around the £300 mark which I think is about right for a gun in this condition. The seals for the rebuild alone cost me £40 and the case must be worth the same.

Please PM any interest.

Hi Trevor,

Sorry to hear you have to sell your Model 75 for financial reasons, it is a great rifle, and its a shame you can't keep it and enjoy the result of your work.

I am sure some pictures of the re-sealed rifle with its refurbished stock will help convince somebody that they need to buy it from you!

Pics as requested:

Hi Mark,

Is that an alloy spacer fitted to the end of the stock on your '75?

I was thinking about doing that to mine if I could not find an original spacer - it would also help with those stocks that seem to suffer with small chunks of wood missing from the bottom of the dovetail - a regular Model 75 ( and Model 66) problem.

My problem was not being able to find a suitable dovetail cutter to enable me to cut the correct shaped groove in the front to allow the butplate to slide for adjustment.

I was hoping to make mine with a flat back so I could cut off the damaged end of the butt and screw the alloy spacer directly onto the wood, leaving the dovetail grooved face available to fit and adjust the the butt as normal.

I would certainly be in the market to buy a couple of these if anyone ever started to make them.
    Last edited by zooma; 26-02-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post

Is that an alloy spacer fitted to the end of the stock on your '75?
    The alloy part is a dovetail that screws to the stock and accepts the adjustable stock pad (or spacer).
    I assumed this was original (no pun intended).

Quote Originally Posted by CarsBikesGuns View Post
    The alloy part is a dovetail that screws to the stock and accepts the adjustable stock pad (or spacer).
    I assumed this was original (no pun intended).
    I have not seen an alloy plate fitted before - usually the wooden stock is dovetailed for the stock spacer - and because the spacer is usually thrown away, the sliding butt plate is then the part that slides into the stock itself (rather than the fixed spacer) and is the reason why many Model 75 and Model 65 stocks have part of the lower dovetail chipped-off.

Maybe that is what happened to yours at some point in its history, and the alloy plate was the same repair I had in mind to make on one of my own Model 75 stocks that has this typical damage.

Its a great idea, and when the damaged section with the dovetail is cut off, it also gives the option to maintain the angled inwards buttplate or to cut it straight in a more conventional way.

I like the new mock carbon inlets fitted to the cut-outs as well - very individual compared to the flat black ones the factory fitted - nice!
    Last edited by zooma; 27-02-2012 at 09:46 AM. Reason: spellin

I know the carbon inserts aren't to everyone's tastes, but I rebuilt/refinished the rifle so that it could be returned to standard very easily.
    I did not realise the alloy plate was after-market, but I don't think it detracts from the overall appearance. It does make butt-plate adjustments very easy. It's still angled in at what I guess is the original angle.

I wanted to 'restore' this gun to my taste as I considered it a 'keeper'. It was never done with a view to having to sell it so soon. It's a shame I won't get any use from it but the new owner undoubtedly will!

You have made a great job of it, and I like the personalised touch you have given to it

In my opinion you have improved the rifle and made it even more desireable.