Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ripley elite from wighill guns

Ripley elite from wighill guns

Wighill have a number of ripley elites in store circa £500 - £550 including lefties and thumb hole stocks ,

Now i have long fancied one of these guns having read review on gunmart and in airgun world , however I was put off initially by a number of posts that are on airgun bbs in relation to this rifle . Terry doe speaks highly of them and suggested anyone wanting one ring Nigel at wighill guns for info.

So this I duly did , first let me say Nigel appears a top bloke and no amount of questions are queries regarding the gun was too much trouble,
    I took each of the challenges one by one, that were posted on here regarding power loss etc etc. let me just say guys that listening to nigel , put my mind completely at ease , and he went through the challenges posted on here one by one , , Nigel sets all the guns to 11.4lbs to allow for marginal creep and gives a 12 month warranty on all the guns,

So as I said, I'd long wanted one of these guns and took the plunge , including a hogun decimeter silencer , one of the originals not the Highland outdoor versions. you will need one as the gun makes quite a crack, but any good quality silencer should do , I just liked the way the Hogun looked on the gun,

so to today and the proof in the pudding so to speak , sighted in at the club this morning fitting a mamba lite 4-16 mtc scope ,used a high mount but on reflection i will change to low mounts just for better eye alignment with this gun , but as I swapped it directly wholesale from My HW97kt I didn't feel like changing all my mounts around on all my other guns. ( Diana Stutzen / Steyr Hunter).

within 4 shots absolutely on the button and I continued to put 300 pellets through the gun.

Accuracy is outstanding as good as my steyr out to 40-45yds achieving pellet on pellet and small clover leaf type groups , I should mention that the calibre is .177 the same as my steyr but at a third of the price I know which is impressing me more , overall the rifle is very solidly built and a lovely piece of Kit. the trigger is multi adjustible but i found the setting suited me fine . I got 80-90 real good shots before the poi started to drop ,( I filled up to 220bar - the reservoir has a safe operating pressure of 300 bar , but i guess old habits die hard , and i'm nervous about going to high. The gun doe's not have a regulator which makes the accuracy all the more remarkable.

the refill port is nicely located at the end of the tube with a rotating collar as protection , those in previous posts who complained about the hiss as you fill it , this is just till the pressure balance is reached and goes immediately after this point , (bear in mind that the refill adapter is not locked in place till the pressure is reached !)

Of other note is that you load directly into the barrel as the breech is formed by cutting away the barrel, It is a Walther lothar match barrel, which obviously goes some way to explaining the accuracy. . Also the gun has a nice piece of walnut on it , supplied I believe by the custom stocks of sheffield

Good points :-
    accuracy -outstanding equal of the steyr
    price - cannot be beat
    looks - each to his own but to me its beautiful
    engineering - excellent , I would expect nothing less , this gun does carry steve ripleys name and was enfineered by Jim Hogun.
    trigger - able to suit all needs. curved blade on mine , but match triggers are available

Bad points:-
    No pressure gauge , not to much of a worry to me , but I do Know some like them
    No Safety , I do believe all guns should have a safety , belts and braces after all

would I. recommend this gun to anyone absolutely , do I need to , No .
    Colleagues in the club who tried it were more than impressed , the HW100 and daystate ranger owners were amazed at the combination of price and accuracy.

Dont take the negative feedback on here about this gun as definitive statements , contact Nigel at wighill guns and try for yourself. I can't see how you wont be converted . I am

Nice review ! I will have to have a look next time I see you. After all the problems that I had with my rifles recently, it is good to hear when things work out for someone. Get some practice in for the funshoot in June, I aim to make it even harder !

Ripley Elite

I love mine, never had any of the problems you read about on here, accuracy is spot on, wife shoots bracken stalks with it and they are 10mm or less
    Would recommend to any one and yes its a very pleasing on the eye package.

I've been looking at these, they do look rather fancy

mine is also a tack driver but i did have to find the right pellet
    Huntsman Classic. bsar10 .ripley hog.hw45 177. skan r32. 22 . falcon fn12tw 22. logun s16evo 177. HW100 22. bsa xl tactical 25. fac custom rapid 177. fac custom ranger 22. mosberg pump. sako finfire rimmi.SIG 522. anie hmr. .STEYR AUG 223. tactical scout 243

JSB Exacts are suiting my .177 right now.

shot one of these today, absolutely lovely, sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooo quiet

has anybody had any issues with these or with the comapany, please answer

thanks
    tom

Quote Originally Posted by TomSteebs View Post
    has anybody had any issues with these or with the comapany, please answer

thanks
    tom
    just an up date a month in - no fluctuation on accuracy still pellet on pellet at 40 mtrs , definently likes jsb 452's , excellent hunters rifle with the carbine length , had a shot on shot comp with my steyr 110 this week and the groups were just as tight,

with the silencer fitted it has to be one of the quietest guns out there , the largest sound when you fire the gun is the hammer striking and the push back against the bolt.

tried different fill pressures with the chamber being able to take 300psi , but it does prefers a 200 - 215 fill pressure for consistency

Quote Originally Posted by caseball View Post
    just an up date a month in - no fluctuation on accuracy still pellet on pellet at 40 mtrs , definently likes jsb 452's , excellent hunters rifle with the carbine length , had a shot on shot comp with my steyr 110 this week and the groups were just as tight,

with the silencer fitted it has to be one of the quietest guns out there , the largest sound when you fire the gun is the hammer striking and the push back against the bolt.

tried different fill pressures with the chamber being able to take 300psi , but it does prefers a 200 - 215 fill pressure for consistency
    thats good to hear, i phoned up ripley asking whether they new the cylinder capacity which nobody knows on earth. i have worked it out to be 280cc by the way. but anyway, ripley said that it was basically a rubbish gun

i am yet to shoot mine as as soon as i bought it, it decided to rain and be as windy as chicago.

what silencer do you use?

only ask as i use a twink mk2 and its okay but i reacon it could be quieter....

I have seen this rifle in action at our club lovely piece of kit and a very good review.

Well done mate
    Alan.

thats good to hear, i phoned up ripley asking whether they new the cylinder capacity which nobody knows on earth. i have worked it out to be 280cc by the way. but anyway, ripley said that it was basically a rubbish gun

i am yet to shoot mine as as soon as i bought it, it decided to rain and be as windy as chicago.

Tom ,

i use the hogun decimater , as in the review

aah okay, the hogan is know where near as quiet as the twink on mine.

i shot my elite today and am please to report it is a pleasure to shoot, i got a very large rabbit, the biggest i've ever shot (heavier than the ripley elite kitted out!) and a crow, not bad at all for using some non tested pellets and a average scope...

i would definately reccommend this gun....

my ripley elite is shooting perfectly. no problems what so ever. would put it up against any other rifle

ripley would never rubbish a rifle that had there name on it. sour grapes comes to mind