Thread: FX Verminator MkII review.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

FX Verminator MkII review.

Updated: Custom Silencer added. See post 16.
    Updated again: Bipod issues. See post 17.
    I got the call on Friday, ""Your MkII Verminator has arrived", and took an extended lunch break to collect it.

First impressions were, bloody hell, it's tiny and not being of the slightest build I had concerns over whether it would fit me. In two minutes of arriving at Kibworth, the MkII was out the case, assembled and in my shoulder. It fitted like a glove, without adjustment. I'm sure with a bit of fine tuning it will be even better.
    It comes in a plastic case with cut out foam to store it in it's take down state. I won't be taking this down and I have an Logun short tactical case to carry it in, which fits like a glove.

A few more minutes later after parting with the necessary, Andy and Rob in the shop had filled it and chrono'd it. I thought 10.5ft.lb a bit low, but it's new, at one end of it's power curve and we used a light pellet for the test. I'll put a few hundred pellets through it and see how it settles in.

I was little disappointed that the extra expansion chamber silencer, mentioned by Terry Doe in the Airgun World article, was not in the box. I'll be talking to ASI and FX about this.

Fast forward to Saturday morning: I tried my Viper Connect on the MkII and it fouled the magazine with high mounts! I've got one of the dedicated Sportmatch mounts on order but it's not arrived yet. A quick rummage in my shooting box and a trip to Godiva Guns and I had a mount that would get me going for today.

Finally, I was at the range, everything ready, signed in and said hello to the lads.
    First job was to figure out how to use the mag. You've got to rotate the clear cover to tension the spring and feed a pellet backwards from the front of the mag. The rest of the pellets are fed more conventionally from the back of the mag. It's a bit fiddly to start with, and I reckon very soft skirted pellets could get damaged if you misalign them as they're pushed in backwards, but after a few reloads, you soon get the knack. Snow and freezing conditions didn't help with reloading, so another mag is going on order Monday.

The first 50 pellets were disheartening, 25 yds grouping was 2-3"! I know I'm not that bad a shot. I thought; what have I done; have I a bought a duff one; having visions of my new rifle playing postal ping-pong with the importer/manufacturer. All I can say, is, if this happens to you, stick with it, get some lead down the barrel. I tried 50-60 pellets of numerous pellet brands until I settled on the Daystate Range Master Li's in 0.22”.
    I haven't done any paper punching yet, and only had the paint to chip off the 25 yds range chequer plate, but I'd say grouping is approx 15mm c-c.

The shrouded barrel works quite well. It's a lot quieter when firing a pellet than dry firing, but no where near as quiet as a HW silencer, but the sting is taken out of it. This is where the extra expansion silencer will be needed. There's a threaded finishing ring that comes off to reveal a non standard male thread. Maybe UK Neil or other silencer makers could create something dedicated to the MkII. (Neil I'll send you a PM in the next few days)

I've got to mention the side lever action. This is the first rifle I've owned with this type of action. Always had bolt action PCP's. The action is slick with cycling effort being minimal. Meaning I can reload without taking the rifle from the shoulder or eye (This is something I couldn't do with my AA TDR). That's got to be worth something for consistency. The last bit of travel, where you've got the most mechanical advantage, cocks and engages the sear.

Without the front air tube, FX has fitted a simple pull-out cover using an oring to seal against dirt and retain it in the stock. Remove the cover and you find a standard quick release connector. To my surprise, my bottle, with a Best Fittings QRC fitted and charged without a problem. A QRC and Dowty seal are provided by FX. If you wanted, it is possible to charge the bottle off the gun. Handy if you have a spare.

An unanswered question for me is how to attach a bipod to the MkII. There are no swivel studs; the fill cover is only retained by an o-ring. It is a snug fit. Maybe a multiple o-ring fill cover replacement bipod mount may work. I’ll get in touch with ASI/FX to see if there’s anything available or planned. I can envisage a range of push in torch mounts which could be nice.

So why did I choose the Verminator MkII; simple, I was looking for a multi-shot in 0.22", I'd been messed around by Theoben in trying to spec an S-type (wanted to visit factory to select stock, I was told no factory visits = no sale) and I love the way my classic Titan MPT sits in the shoulder and the ease of taking standing shots.

Here a link to a few pictures:
    http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/...inator%20MkII/

I’ll report back when I’ve tried it in the field.

The big question is; would I recommend the MkII to anyone else. In short, yes, it might not be to everyone’s taste, but the handling, slick side lever, faultless mag cycling and high shot count makes the MkII very versatile and a joy to shoot.
    Last edited by westy306; 15-02-2012 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added pictures