Thread: FX Verminator MkII review.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Custom silencer added.

One week on, the novelty factor has worn off and I'm getting used to shooting the MkII.

As I reported in my original review, I thought the shrouded barrel was OK, but no where near as quiet as a HW silenced air rifle. I'm still waiting for an answer back from FX about the extra expansion chamber.
    Impatience set in and I contacted U.K.Neil about making a custom silencer.

After a few PM's we had dimensions agreed.
    I picked this up this morning from U.K.Neil at the Greyhound.
    Here's a few pictures:
    http://s1197.photobucket.com/albums/...om%20Silencer/
    To help others wanting to do the same, here's some useful info:
    MkII shroud outside diameter is 28mm (the same as U.K.Neil's standard silencer)
    Male thread on shroud is M20 x 1.0mm pitch x 8.0mm thread length (to clear)

I haven't decided what finish to have on it yet, but in terms of silencing abilities, it's spot-on.

Thank you U.K.Neil for a quick turn round and a first class product.
    Last edited by westy306; 14-02-2012 at 12:44 AM.

Bipod issues

After sorting out the silencer, fitting a bipod was next on my list of things to do.

A FX tube clamp was fitted to the fill cover and a Harris Bipod fitted to it. All looked good; the bipod was as far forward as possible for maximum stability, but....

I had not reckoned on the fill cover being able to freely rotate. There's nothing to stop the rifle, who’s centre of gravity is above this unintentional pivot point, from falling over and either the shroud being damaged by the tube clamp or the stock impacting the bipod!
    Fortunately I spotted this issue before it fell over and any damage occurred.

So where to go from here? ASI and FX are now aware of the issue and I’m waiting for a reply. But the engineer in me is full of ideas for solutions. If the fill cover can be locked in the stock so as not to rotate, the standard tube clamp will work a treat.

The current fill cover is retained by one o-ring which provides enough friction to hold it in place.
    If the o-ring were to be fitted to a taper with an external sleeve to push the o-ring up the taper a rubber cushioned compression clamp against the inside of the stock could be effected. An o-ring at each end would hold the cover concentrically in the stock bore and the external sleeve could have a nice knurled finish and an internal thread to lock the cover in place. I feel another PM to U.K.Neil may be happening in the morning.
    I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Ya couldn't just let it lie….Could ya! Looking smart there fella, bell me about the weekend bud. See you and the brood soon.

Thanks for the review, and I'm glad to hear you're generally happy with the Vermy MkII.

I don't get it though. The issues with the MkI, IMO, were a poor/cramped grip design, a lack of rails on the fore-end and unrealistic pricing. Despite having the opportunity to address the first two points when they changed the moulds for the stock, FX have addressed none of these issues -Note to Mods: we really need a "facepalm" smiley!- and TBH I fail to see what FX have improved in the MkII.

Me, I'd buy a Brocock Super Six Contour XL and a handy 500cc filling kit from best Fittings and pocket the difference.

"Me, I'd buy a Brocock Super Six Contour XL and a handy 500cc filling kit from best Fittings and pocket the difference."
    Westy306 did do a lot of research in to the FX and for that matter in to the Super six contour XL which I'm seriously looking at now as my budget is smaller. I have yet to have a go with the FX but will no doubt be impressed with it.
    Daystate Regal .177 Mamba Lite 4-16x44 Belita moderator
    Crosman Ratcatcher, custom breech, QGS mod, 4x32
    Original 52 .177

my mate i got hunting with uses a fx verminator and i think its a good rifle if you like the plastic tacky look, but having played with it i realy think is over priced, tho the shot count is great