Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FX Verminator MkII review.

Bipod issues

After sorting out the silencer, fitting a bipod was next on my list of things to do.

A FX tube clamp was fitted to the fill cover and a Harris Bipod fitted to it. All looked good; the bipod was as far forward as possible for maximum stability, but....

I had not reckoned on the fill cover being able to freely rotate. There's nothing to stop the rifle, who’s centre of gravity is above this unintentional pivot point, from falling over and either the shroud being damaged by the tube clamp or the stock impacting the bipod!
    Fortunately I spotted this issue before it fell over and any damage occurred.

So where to go from here? ASI and FX are now aware of the issue and I’m waiting for a reply. But the engineer in me is full of ideas for solutions. If the fill cover can be locked in the stock so as not to rotate, the standard tube clamp will work a treat.

The current fill cover is retained by one o-ring which provides enough friction to hold it in place.
    If the o-ring were to be fitted to a taper with an external sleeve to push the o-ring up the taper a rubber cushioned compression clamp against the inside of the stock could be effected. An o-ring at each end would hold the cover concentrically in the stock bore and the external sleeve could have a nice knurled finish and an internal thread to lock the cover in place. I feel another PM to U.K.Neil may be happening in the morning.
    I’ll keep you posted on progress.

Ya couldn't just let it lie….Could ya! Looking smart there fella, bell me about the weekend bud. See you and the brood soon.

Thanks for the review, and I'm glad to hear you're generally happy with the Vermy MkII.

I don't get it though. The issues with the MkI, IMO, were a poor/cramped grip design, a lack of rails on the fore-end and unrealistic pricing. Despite having the opportunity to address the first two points when they changed the moulds for the stock, FX have addressed none of these issues -Note to Mods: we really need a "facepalm" smiley!- and TBH I fail to see what FX have improved in the MkII.

Me, I'd buy a Brocock Super Six Contour XL and a handy 500cc filling kit from best Fittings and pocket the difference.

"Me, I'd buy a Brocock Super Six Contour XL and a handy 500cc filling kit from best Fittings and pocket the difference."
    Westy306 did do a lot of research in to the FX and for that matter in to the Super six contour XL which I'm seriously looking at now as my budget is smaller. I have yet to have a go with the FX but will no doubt be impressed with it.
    Daystate Regal .177 Mamba Lite 4-16x44 Belita moderator
    Crosman Ratcatcher, custom breech, QGS mod, 4x32
    Original 52 .177

my mate i got hunting with uses a fx verminator and i think its a good rifle if you like the plastic tacky look, but having played with it i realy think is over priced, tho the shot count is great

I collected my .177 Mk2 yesterday but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. Scope mounting has been the main problem, as the bottle-mounted cheekpiece is very high and even high mounts weren't sufficient to raise the scope sufficiently. After trying Theoben risers inside high mounts, I ended up fitting a raised/extended Weaver rail plus Warne-style rings, which just brought the Connect into correct eye alignment. The factory silencer is awaited but the rifle seems fairly quiet without it. I'm looking forward to trying it on our HFT course. The ability to fit a sling/bipod would be good.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Silencer

Hi there, how have you found your grouping since fitting the silencer, I have the same gun and silencer but with it in my groups are terrible and I'm getting flyers all over the place. Do you think the pellets are clipping the mod? It's a 1.77 and I've been using AA diabolo field pellets.

Thanks for that

Im looking at getting one to get back into Airguns

Do you know how much the Mag sticks up over the Scope rail

also I will be looking at fitting at least a Picatinny rail under the for grip should be fairly easy to either screw on or bolt thru ther are then lots of Options for fore end fitting of bi pods and other kit some maybe useful some not so useful unless your assaulting a building (maybe one on each side as well not sure yet and it might be over kill and its already heavy with that big air bottle on the back )

and put a bridge picatinny rail on top of the Scope dovetail and over the mag so i can swap on my NV sight

Not sure it will fit back in the box after tho

ATB

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by FGYT View Post
    Thanks for that

Im looking at getting one to get back into Airguns

Do you know how much the Mag sticks up over the Scope rail

also I will be looking at fitting at least a Picatinny rail under the for grip should be fairly easy to either screw on or bolt thru ther are then lots of Options for fore end fitting of bi pods and other kit some maybe useful some not so useful unless your assaulting a building (maybe one on each side as well not sure yet and it might be over kill and its already heavy with that big air bottle on the back )

and put a bridge picatinny rail on top of the Scope dovetail and over the mag so i can swap on my NV sight

Not sure it will fit back in the box after tho

ATB

Duncan
    Hi Duncan,
    My first mount was a cheap dovetail to weaver rail from JSR plus some medium 30mm weaver rings. It was ok but I was never happy with my head position(too far back).
    So I bit the bullet and contacted Sportsmatch who do a special order mount specifically for the MTC connect. A conventional scope should be easier to mount.

Weaver riser and medium ring give approx 35mm between the bottom of the scope tube and the bottom of the mount. See Sportmatch website to see measurement dimension "A".

The new mount gives just over 27mm.

From the bottom of dovetail taper the scope needs approx 20.5mm of clearance with a 12 shot .22" mag fitted.

The underside of the fore stock is tapered relative to the barrel axis so would only be useful for a bipod or an adjustable weaver torch mount (not seen one). I have a weaver mount on top of the scope ring for torches and lasers.

Have a look at the latest picture in my signature, it shows a bipod fitted to a stud screwed into the fore stock. You can use the FX tube clamp on the fill cover, but it's not secure and the rifle won't stand up. Shroud and stock damage could result of it falling over if you let it go.
    Hope this helps,
    Ian

Thanks for that
    I currently have sports match 30mm reach fwds 2 piece mounts in
    Med 'A'= 15mm
    High 'A'= 21mm
    and a pair of risers that can add 13mm to either so should be ok till i can work out the weaver set up

I will stick a sling stud in to fit my Harris bipod for now but it shouldn't be to difficult to fit a picatinny rail parallel to the barrel the full length of the fore stock but we will see

ATB

Duncan

grouping issues

I had an fx royal that would not group at all. As i was going to use it for hft so i made a single shot adaptor. When using the adaptor it grouped very very well so the problem was found to be in the magazine. I think FX make a generic magazine that has to cater for normal guns and their automatic variants. The automatic variants need a mag that will operate fast and efficiently in an auto so I think they just beefed up the mag rotation spring. I did some tests by loading a pellet via the mag and then removing the pellet from the breach with a rod from the muzzle end. I found quite a few deformed pellet skirts so the mag is the culprit
    The solution was to weaken the spring in the mag. Accuracey restored. hth