Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HW40 or HW45?

throdgrain is offline There I was minding my own business......

HW40 or HW45?

Hi all, thinking of buying another air pistol. I fancy a self-contained gun, already have a Crossman 2240 which is ok, and pretty powerful, but I don't like the drop off in power for the last 10 shots or so.

I'm left handed, so the Tempests etc are out, which is a shame as I fancy one of them, so that leaves a Weihauch. It will be for plinking in the garden mostly. I know the 45 is a legendarily good gun, but what are people's opinions between the two? And are there any other guns I've missed?

Thanks for any opinions !
    Mark

40 spot on accurate
    45 ,big bang theory

HW75

Never mind about LH or RH, just hold it in whatever hand, and use whatever eye.
    Thanks - Geoff.

Tell me about the HW75?
    Mark

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    Quote Originally Posted by throdgrain View Post
    Tell me about the HW75?
    SSP version of the HW45, outwardly almost identical, the difference being a flared anatomical-ish grip (but ambi) and a difference in the functionality of the hammer. Not as powerful as a 45, but well regarded all the same.

Me, I like my alecto

Keep an eye out for a 2nd hand beeman p17 too, they are a cheaper version of the HW40, but frankly no less accurate. You could pick one up 2nd hand for well under 50 notes I should think. They are about 80 new last time I checked.
    Good deals with these members

Quote Originally Posted by eyebull View Post
    Me, I like my alecto

Me also The dual power capability is useful (I never bother with three pumps), and they do a L/H grip option as well for southpaws. Big chunk of pistol, but very smooth trigger after a fiddle (easy to do). You can fit a silencer on the later models (mine is a Mk1, so have not bothered as its pretty quiet on a single pump anyhow).

Money isn't an issue between the two, which would you buy?
    Mark

SSPs in my experience are unpleasant to cock.

Had a Gamo Compact and HW75, and didn't like either of them. Accurate, yes, but low powered and tiring to use for extended periods.

An HW45 you can play with all day.

I'd go for the 45 and learn how to shoot it.
    Arthur

I wish I was in the land of cotton.

I think I'm beginning to lean towards the opinion of the last post.
    Mark

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Both!

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

eyebull is offline Even a stopped clock is right twice a day
    I think I'm beginning to lean towards the opinion of the last post.
    You need to handle them, and ideally have a test fire - the opinion of BBS members is no substitute for trying them yourself mate.

I never rated HW45s, thought they were ugly unwieldy things - until I shot a 2nd hand one in a gunshop. 5 shots and it was sold I still think it's ugly though
    Good deals with these members

I've used a mate's HW40, it's much easier to shoot than the 45 - being an SSP with almost no recoil.

I own a HW45 and I believe it will be far more satisfying when I master it, but three months in and I'm still struggling to get a good grouping at ten yards!

Neither beats my Alecto for accuracy though :-)

Cool Hw40 ideal

Like most of the above posts mention the alecto tried it its ungainly heavy ,three pumps reminded me of a bullworker but you have to pump that many,HW45 large,heavy seems out of propotion in black,silver too expensive.Hw40 lighter can be a bit of a fiddle to load but you soon get the knack price new £100 cheapest of all the others and just as sturdy beware of copies
    HW 97k s/s laminated stock.Hw 98k cs500 stock,CZ 457 varmint.Tika T3x Super Varmint 223 rem. an HW95k having sneaked back in Browning 725 12g sporter, pair of 525 sporters,SX3 Red Performance

BigEars Guest
    Money isn't an issue between the two, which would you buy?
    Two different guns completely. I have both but of the two the HW45 is more fun to shoot. The recoil adds an extra challenge and it's nice to see the pellet catcher rock back on its stand.

The 75 is very refined, easy to cock, the trigger is excellent and it's a very smooth experience to shoot one. Lack of recoil means the potential for greater accuracy. If money's no object, get both but look out for good second hand rather than new.

Yeah I also need to weigh up how much I'll use it too. I am a shotgun bloke through and through it must be said.

Thanks for all the opinions so far, it strikes me both are decent guns, just different. My thread really was more to highlight whether one or the other was a stinker, or indeed whether there was another strong candidate I wasn't aware of. I'm still undecided
    Mark