Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 10m match rifle

Agree Rich - The older 10m match rifles are superb and still competetive (to a point) with the latest pcp offerings ,although agree with thimblehouse that the pcp is less fatiguing over a long competition,but as I only shoot Bell Target with mine I don't think cocking the Anschutz will tire me out too much

The only downside with the older rifles, for me anyway, is the stock design - The latest models of match rifle are multi adjustable,slimmer & better balanced and I think would offer a great advantage to my shooting performance. I am a bit of an equipment tart though. I have often thought about making a new stock in a more modern design for my Old Annie - something like the new Walther Anatomical,but have shyed away so far.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Agree Rich - The older 10m match rifles are superb and still competetive (to a point) with the latest pcp offerings ,although agree with thimblehouse that the pcp is less fatiguing over a long competition,but as I only shoot Bell Target with mine I don't think cocking the Anschutz will tire me out too much

The only downside with the older rifles, for me anyway, is the stock design - The latest models of match rifle are multi adjustable,slimmer & better balanced and I think would offer a great advantage to my shooting performance. I am a bit of an equipment tart though. I have often thought about making a new stock in a more modern design for my Old Annie - something like the new Walther Anatomical,but have shyed away so far.
    i can see that. I guess IF i ever got that good/serious then i can see the option, but cant help thinking as with hft costs can snowball in this sport and you dont get that much better performance over standerd/older guns. in the case of my gun, it was made for olyimpics back in the day, and In my gun the overlever cocking is very comfy and easy, which opens the breech bolt ready for next shot, i like that, and it has adjustable stock. I guess i would upgrade it with a new butt plate but it feels comfy as it is. i also love the look, it looks like a cool sniper rifle...)
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The Edge is best avoided it is simply not good enough for 10 mts, the early pure match rifles FWB 300, and certainly the Walther LGR, are better buys than the cheaper modern options such as the MPR, they are just as accurate as the modern PCP's. The major difference to modern quality PCP's (Walther, FWB, Anschutz, and Steyr) from quality older rifles such as the LGR is in the ergonomics, ease of use, trigger quality, and the most significant factor is lock time.
    For an expert with perfect technique, good trigger control and good follow through scores are not a lot different, but they are different, the modern rifles are not fashion, they are working tools, and top shooters will get an advantage as will lower level shooters but their technique must be good.
    Come to Bisley next week end for the British Air Gun Championships and have a watch, my wife shot at international level 30 years ago with an LGR (which she still has), she's still shooting, but you won't convince her to go back to her LGR from her current Walther LG300 Junior and she's also waiting for an LG400 action to up grade that.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

re the edge its a shame as that could be a great gun with a few tweeks. Longer sightline a little more weight and better trigger. But then i guess the price would have to go up.
    You tube channel bassmanrich44 2000 subscribers and counting! 5000 now

Quote Originally Posted by bassmanrich View Post
    re the edge its a shame as that could be a great gun with a few tweeks. Longer sightline a little more weight and better trigger. But then i guess the price would have to go up.
    Would tend to agree, extra weights are available for it.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Its not just weight, or sight line, the trigger is truly awful and the general lay out of the grip and cheek piece leave a lot to be desired. They are a variation from an Edge sporting rifle and were aimed at the more basic sporter 10 mt class which is popular with Scout and cadet groups in the UK, and is big in the US amoungst juniors. There is a max price in that class, and they are not a patch on the Tau/Brno/AA 200's which dominate that class.
    We had a club member who bought one against all advice and it demotivated him to such an extent that he packed up. We tried it with a very experienced ex international standing shot who had shot fullbore 300mt standing with a 1500 gm trigger so was not phased by the trigger and they struggled to get any result from it. We also bench tested it with a variety of pellets and could not get it to hold any tighter than the 8 ring, this also echo's the results coming out of the states where the factory has supplied special barrels in an attempt to make them acceptable. I truly wish they were better as they are cheap and would help people get into the sport but they really are not recomended.
    The cheapest new rifle worth using is the Hammerli AR20 in 10 mt form, but I would still recomend an old FWB 600 series or Walther LGR over that.
    Have fun and good shooting.
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

The Edge

As this is basically a re-vamped Stealth I agree with Robin that it is not really a good choice for 10m shooting.

I owned a .22 Stealth a while ago,it was bought for it's intended purpose - hunting.I sold it within a month of owning as I found that it was not fit for purpose as it just would not hold any kind of group and suffered from regular wild flyers (some up to 3" from the aiming mark at 30 yards).I contacted gunpower regarding the issue and was told that they could supply a walther barrel to improve the accuracy, at my cost .I wasn't prepared to spend another £100 on the rifle to make it fit for purpose.Why Gunpower didn't fit the Walther barrel as standard is beyond me.

I thought I may have had a rogue rifle,but speaking with other Stealth owners found that this was not an exceptional case.

So it is no surprise to hear that the Edge has similar failings in the accuracy department.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Thanks guys, I will keep checking for some of the rifles you have advised me.