Thread: Webley pistol question

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice

Webley pistol question

Was the alloy barrel housing/barrel pivot on the Hurricane/Tempest/Premier mk2 ever sold on it,s own or only with the barrel? I would imagine if this bit was sold on it,s own that turning barrels to fit would not be that difficult?
    I know Chambers dont list it as a part but I reckon some must have gone out to gunshops with other spares?

Update. I have been told that that these were never officially a part --but some did make it out of the factory and I managed to pick one up.
    Last edited by ggggr; 29-08-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: update
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

Don't have a gun in hand but the (steel, if we are talking about the same part - that also forms the frontsight?) part is in my mind press fitted which would make simple removal anything but.

I will stand corrected as needs be.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

I think its unlikely, if that part got bust then there is a good chance the gun has suffered severe trauma, or a lot of wear.
    You'd need a fairly good press to swap one over, and some concentric holding tools. If it was off line you'd probably crack the surround.
    Effort/cost vs a new barrel is why I think its unlikely.

Dave

P.s. barrels arrived ok, but stinking cold has prevented progress yet.
    Solutions by Sanderson
    Solving and Saving stuff for the sake of it

ggggr is offline part time super hero and seeker of justice
    Thanks Chaps. I thought that some might have made it out of the factory to shops as unofficial spares. I wasn,t thinking of them so much for damaged barrels as for making up special ones. I know the earlier USSR Baikal 53 had an alloy breech block and also a foresight piece, which I have taken off after using boiling water. So has anybody seen these bits in a spares box in a shop somewhere? More curious than anything else.
    Cooler than Mace Windu with a FRO, walking into Members Only and saying "Bitches, be cool"

harvey_s is offline Lost love child of David Niven and Victoria Beckham
    They must of done at some point cos' if memory serves correctly didn't the Streatham Armoury produce the 'Streatham Special' in the early 90's which was a Tempest with interchangable .177 & .22 barrels secured with a nut at the front of this casting....
    Last edited by harvey_s; 09-02-2012 at 12:34 AM.

I believe the housing can be separated from the barrel by the application of sufficient heat.

The front sight unit is made from extruded aluminium so I would imagine as Troubledshooter says, a little heat should do it. It's likely that this would have been either a low interference press fit or heated before being assembled to the barrel. My monies on the press fit as it would have been far easier to control.
    Please let us know how you get on if attempting this .. I have had a project in mind re a longer barrel similar to that tried many years ago on a post war senior. ( Ref Webley Air Pistols/Gordon Bruce/page91 ) although I would probably try it on a Hurricane.

Quote Originally Posted by le frelon View Post
    The front sight unit is made from extruded aluminium
    It looks a hell of a lot like blued cast steel, are you sure? The part also is responsible for cocking the gun and is under a lot of stress, doubt any aluminium would last.
    **WANTED**: WEBLEY PATRIOT MUZZLE END; Any Diana/Original mod.50 parts, especially OPEN SIGHTS

The front sight unit is made from extruded aluminium .
    I think you'll find it's made from cast steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Troubledshooter View Post
    I think you'll find it's made from cast steel.
    It is indeed

Hands up!

I stand corrected! You do appear to be right re cast steel..a magnet certainly sticks well to it.
    I will re check my source but it definitely read as 'extruded aluminium'. Either I associated ( mis read ) it with something else or the book is wrong.

I stand corrected! You do appear to be right re cast steel..a magnet certainly sticks well to it.
    I will re check my source but it definitely read as 'extruded aluminium'. Either I associated ( mis read ) it with something else or the book is wrong.
    Nothing as satisfying as a public lynching

Seriously though, probably some confusion as guns like the Webley Vulcan have a muzzle end/front sight in aluminium http://www.micksguns.com/images/ws%20coll%202.jpg