Thread: Relum Tornado question

Relum Tornado question

Ok gents, I'm currently part of the way through renovating my old Tornado. So far it's had the cosmetics done and looking good, and also a new spring kit (a single spring and guide) fitted. With it's favoured Superdomes it's putting out 8.5ftlbs or so, about 1 ft/lb up on it's pre-renovation state.

In addition to the new spring I also bought a new leather washer and rivet etc. for the piston (although the old one is still fairly ok) but wanted to confirm the process for fitting that. I take it I need to drill out the old rivet, but what should I be using to fit the new one?

Other than that I'm just planning to clean and re-lube the internals, as I'm already happy enough with it's power output and accuracy.

relum

most re seals ive seen on relums were webley synthetic seals bolted through the piston head with counter sunk head.its cold rivveting i guess.usualy soft to mild steel.riviting tool or ball pain hammered.but im no expert.

Norwich 'A Fine City' (unless you're a driver)
    You can try tapping the piston end and using a countersunk screw

rustington/littlehampton,riviera of the south

as above

ive done various makes by csk and tapping then threadlocking.
    [FWB124s]-[ORIG45]-[relum rescue ctr]
    I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT AN FWB,

rivet

a lot of times when i have done them you can get a long punch tap the rivet out from the inside and most of the time you can reuse it if not a tapered head screw and nut they do sell new rivets for them though hope that any use to you .....bernard

I have fitted new and old rivets and nuts/bolts.
    To fit the rivet, or rather to secure the end within the piston, I used a long bolt that had a rounded end (or round the end on a long punch) and used that to peen the rivet end in the cylinder ... I supported the piston seal side on top of a suitable hard surface e.g. a punch or bit of round bar secured in a vice.
    Cheers, Phil

Thanks gents. I thought it might be that low-tech, so good to get it confirmed.