Thread: Tanfoglio Witness loading aid

Tanfoglio Witness loading aid

Dear daughter handed my one of these as a Christmas present ... very kind of her. I had never had a blow-back gun before and it is really quite different. But the magazine loading procedure is a pain, literally. Having to hold the small peg back with your finger or finger nail while you load is a bit of a drag. OK ... load from the top but the same issue could apply as the spring gets harder to push down.
    So.... after a search on Google etc revealed no solution to a loading aid, here is my solution. It is so simple maybe you have all done it but not told anyone. If so, sorry, but there may be a few people who are still battling with serrated finger nails....
    All you need is a 1" (25mm) square of 1mm steel sheet. I used a bit of galvanised sheet. With a small vice and a hammer (or any other method you find convenient) bend 3mm of one edge over at right angles.
    Mark the centre of the folded edge and with a fine hacksaw (Junior?) cut the folded edge from each side to leave a 2mm wide peg in the centre. I rough cut the bits off and then finished smooth with a file. You now have a sheet about 25mm x 22 mm but with a 2mm peg on one edge.
    You could use this now as your 'artificial nail' if you wish ... just smooth all over and to use, put the peg in the small gap at the top of the magazine and pull the loading peg down. Easy. You can adjust the length of the peg if you wish .. I fine tuned by removing about 1mm.
    But I continued: Using a 12mm steel tube (or socket from a tool set) I curved the sheet to fit over the magazine and so prevent any slippage. After smoothing all corners etc I added some plastic tape on the inside of the curved plate to prevent any scratching of the magazine, then added a sticky back felt pad to the top to aid grip and there we are : perfect loading aid. To use, I simply insert the peg into the hole while holding the magazine in my left hand. Using my left thumb I simply pull back on the gadget until the loading bay is exposed. Load then allow the loading probe to return.
    Simples. No more split nails.
    Good luck, Phil
    Last edited by Phil Russell; 12-02-2012 at 01:17 PM. Reason: typo

magicniner is offline The Posh Knocking Shop Artist Formerly Known as Nocturnal Nick
    Paul55 made something very functional with a bent paperclip

- Nick
    Airgun Repairs, Bespoke Airgun Smithing and Precision Engineering Services
    http://www.magic9designltd.com

Over a cup of coffee it occured to me that there is an easier way to make my loader. Just tried it:
    Get a 25mm length of steel tube with a 1mm approx wall thickness and approx 13mm inner diameter. I used a bit of tubing off one of those 'push & pull' carpet sweepers (wife will never notice! ... seriously though, I had salvaged the tubing years ago and put it in the useful box). At one end mark a line around the tube 3mm from the end and then mark for two pegs, each 2mm wide and opposite each other. Cut down each side of each peg and then around the 3mm line to give a tube with two pegs sticking up. Simply cut tube in half and you have the basis for two loaders... all they need is the pegs bending over (carefully) and finishing off as in first post.
    What I will do with three loaders now I am not sure... maybe I should get another two magazines.
    Incidentally, I have no real love of steel BBs but tried some 4.4mm copper coated lead ball and they seem to feed OK, not really tried accuracy testing yet. But I see from some posts on the Umarex Boys Club site that 4.45mm ball may be best.
    Anyone know where to buy it in this country?
    Years ago I had a Makarov 654 that shot steel BBs very well but jammed regularly with Gamo .177 lead ball due to deformation of the balls in the magazine. I sold it. Maybe I should have used these 4.4mm ball.
    Cheers, Phil

How about some photos of these?

Paul55 is offline I get by with a little help from my friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    How about some photos of these?
    Follow this link, all the pics are there http://umarexboysclubforum.myfinefor...about4957.html
    UBC Resident Cowboy
    St Paul of 55
    Been there, bought it, tried it, sold it

I had not seen the paper clip version. On the mag shown in the photo the peg that the paper clip goes round seems more prominent than on my mag.
    Mine does exactly the same job but, if you can make one, maybe a little bit more comfortable to use and, providing you keep a reasonable grip on the mag and the gadget, will not slip as the peg sits within the channel.
    But then ... paper clips are more common than bits of an old carpet sweeper.
    Of course, if the Witness had a mag like the Makarov, where the peg slips sideways into a holding slot, no gadget would be necessary.
    No capability to provide photo of my gismo at present.
    Cheers, Phil

Tanfastic

Just a thought,

I noticed that if I tipped back the spring loaded slider at the bottom of it's stroke it stays put,

Drill small hole slightly above it (need drill press and vice),

Pull slide down lock it turn mag upside down and load BB from SMK speed loader,

Push in upper tip of slide, Job Done in seconds

And no moving parts, just a ole

Now that, Ratgunner, is what my son would call 'cool'.
    Nice one.
    Cheers, Phil

After much frustration dodging pesky pop-ups, I may have mastered photos:

http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/y...oaderinuse.jpg
    http://i773.photobucket.com/albums/y...derinplace.jpg