Thread: ripley elite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    The S4*0s have sold 65,000 units, and have backup, and their own forum. How many Elites are there, and what's the back up like? a couple of containers of spares doesn't do it for me.

Gus
    Why not call Wighill and ask them about the backup? I think it's comprehensive and trustworthy, but if you need more convincing, speak to them or visit and see for yourself.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

theres a years warranty,so hopefully if it does play up it will be in the warranty period.hes agreed to chrono it before i buy ,and i will be doing the same regularly. Got to say it again,a cracking looking rifle. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by howdener View Post
    theres a years warranty,so hopefully if it does play up it will be in the warranty period.hes agreed to chrono it before i buy ,and i will be doing the same regularly. Got to say it again,a cracking looking rifle. cheers
    And when that warranty runs out you are not too far away from Jim Hogan at Redbeck near Wakefield....

Quote Originally Posted by paul.s View Post
    And when that warranty runs out you are not too far away from Jim Hogan at Redbeck near Wakefield....
    thats another plus point for me.30mins down the road cheers

Does anyone have or has had/used both the S4*0 and Elite? I would love to hear a side by side comparison of one of the biggest selling rifles against one of the smallest selling ones, rather than just 'the Elite is better', e.g.

Accuracy - ........wins, example of group sizes.
    Consistency over a charge - ........wins, example of fps range
    Usable shots per charge - ........wins
    Trigger - .......wins and why
    Weight - ......is heavier
    Build quality/finish - wins, what is finished well, barrel width, cocking action smoothness etc.

real ripley

get yourselfs a real ripley ar5s now thats a rifle
    RIPLEY AR5 STAINLESS 10-50-60 FT RIG
    HW97 V MACH BUSHNELL BIG NIKKO HOP
    EV2 Warren Edwards stock big nikko .

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    get yourselfs a real ripley ar5s now thats a rifle thats twice the price and therefore not really anything to do with this discussion
    efa

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpoint View Post
    Does anyone have or has had/used both the S4*0 and Elite? I would love to hear a side by side comparison of one of the biggest selling rifles against one of the smallest selling ones, rather than just 'the Elite is better', e.g.

Accuracy - ........wins, example of group sizes.
    Consistency over a charge - ........wins, example of fps range
    Usable shots per charge - ........wins
    Trigger - .......wins and why
    Weight - ......is heavier
    Build quality/finish - wins, what is finished well, barrel width, cocking action smoothness etc.
    I have had both and now only have the Elite, why? The elite is better on all counts and better looking too. The only internal mod was degrease / remove the factory glue and re-lube after about 500 rounds. Done over 10,000 rounds now and not 1 issue in this time. 10.6 ft.lbs is NOT an issue with extreme deviation of 18 fps with shot-to-shot of 6 fps (over 80 shots) without a reg is more than twice as good as the best I could obtain from an S400.

I guess I have a good one?
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

This is what the bolt looked like on mine it seems the ripley bolts were put on later and these seemed to have the better internals.

Quote Originally Posted by tmstech View Post
    I have had both and now only have the Elite, why? The elite is better on all counts and better looking too. The only internal mod was degrease / remove the factory glue and re-lube after about 500 rounds. Done over 10,000 rounds now and not 1 issue in this time. 10.6 ft.lbs is NOT an issue with extreme deviation of 18 fps with shot-to-shot of 6 fps (over 80 shots) without a reg is more than twice as good as the best I could obtain from an S400.

I guess I have a good one?
    Could you please give a few pointers on the degrease and re-lube? I've just finished off my first tin of 500 pellets through an Elite that I bought last Wednesday. I've only managed to use it at 20 yards but it has produced consistent pellet on pellet grouping at that range, and that's after a 35 year lay-off from shooting.

Cheers,

Mick

Ripley elite

Nice write up you did in the recent mag Terry about the ELITE think you mentioned you had put thousands of pellets through it in some severe weather conditions and had been Faultless in the time you have owned it, Says it all really. Wont be parting with mine. If i can ever get it back of the Wife As for it not being a proper ripper, it was made from the blueprints of one so must be very close, also Steve would not have put his ok to a crap rifle. It may not have been hand built by him but its a ripley none the less.