Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ripley elite

ripley elite

hi has anybody got a ripley elite and if so what is your opinion please.Im on the verge of buying a new one from wighill guns.I know they arent regged,and are single shot,but are they as good as they look.Ive shouldered one today and they look and feel the part. Cheers

Marmite is the answer you will have good and bad reviews I believe Rowan have one a multi shot for them
    A few air rifles and pistols Daystate Owners Club

Absolutely love the Ripley Elite. If you intend ever selling the gun, DON'T buy one, get an AA S400 instead. My best mate has the FT version, but I'm saving for an R10 or a Huntsman. The Ripley has no resale value.
    AA RN10 .177 with Nikko Targetmaster 10-50X60
    AA S200 .22 with Tasco 6-24X50
    HW77K .177 with Hawke 3-10X44

I have recently bought a S400. The dealer had 3 secondhand Elites for sale which put me off them a bit. I think the biggest issue is the power. They come with 10.3ftlbs and if turned up the accuracy goes out of the window. I think Im right in saying it was due to the hammer action and I know that last year it went under some revision so maybe its ok now but havent had any confirmation.

This aside I believe the consensus is that they knock spots off the S400 in every other area so its your choice. Do I wish I had bought an Elite...probably as I could live with 35fps less for what is in my opinion a superior rifle.

Ripley elite

Why do so many people bitch about this rifle ive got one its far superior to a 400 air arms it runs at 11.1 and is super accurate my wife knocks down bracken stalks at 30 yards with it and the largest diameter is 10mm how accurate do you want a gun. Terry doe has one and has had one from first built. They are made from the blue prints of the master himself. he would not have put his name to a shite product.
    Buy one, you wont regret it, i have not its a good looking, solid, accurate rifle at a bargain price now from wighill.

ive got a blueprinted r10 ,and have just sold a nearly new hw100ks as i thought it was very plain looking(although a superb rifle) so i do go place emphasis on looks.They seem very well built and i only want it for short range ratting.i just need to know it is reliable as i will smash it to bits if it lets me down cheers

Quote Originally Posted by thumbhole View Post
    Why do so many people bitch about this rifle
    Probably because there are many others who also own one and have reported the power/accuracy issue, just do a search. They aren't making it up.

DM80 Guest
    they are not cheap for now't

dave.

Ok is there anything else I have missed? I have tried to explain what I know on the rifle but Thumbhole can you say why it is superior to the S400? I have heard a few people say it is but why is? What does it do, have, hows it built etc, thats better?

DM80 why isnt it cheap for nothing? It may well be, as Thumbhole says, due to "people bitching about them" and putting people off. Ripley owners may feel as though they nose is out of joint and start slagging it off, who knows? So what reason do you think its cheap?

Lad at the club has one, it was underpowered so went mack to Jim Hogan...its now full powered and is a stunningly accurate rifle.
    For the money I would say they are a good buy....just add 50 quid on in case Jim Hogan has to sort out the power for you.

Is that not something that is covered by warranty? He designed it underpowered and then charges to have it where it should be, lol.

How old was the rifle? Was it a fairly new one?

Ripley elite

Guys, what is the thing about getting your rifles as near to 12 foot pounds as possible, there have been many threads about this and it makes little or no difference over sensible hunting distances. I would sooner a consistent 10+ than a near illegal unconsistent 11.8+ etc as for reliability build quality its a solid chuncky rifle, the 400 feels like a match stick compared my opinion would not have a 400 if you gave me one but they sell well so some people like them. As for accuracy its as accurate as my MK4 and easaly as good as an ev2 i had. Hope that helps.

I don't know much about the different Ripley rifles, but I know this. If it's a model with the externally, or easily accessible internal, power adjuster then it's a S.1 air rifle. I know that Ripley made at least one such air rifle which I believe was sold as off FAC, but it ain't.

dr dave

guys, i think you will find that TD has a earlier model... the ripley HOG. bluing is much better, but from the pics the elite does look nice...save some more pennies and get the real ripper , you will love them..

Quote Originally Posted by dr dave View Post
    guys, i think you will find that TD has a earlier model... the ripley HOG. bluing is much better, but from the pics the elite does look nice...save some more pennies and get the real ripper , you will love them..
    No Dave, it's an Elite, and it's a fine rifle. I've just had it serviced at Wighill, and it does 11.2 ft.lbs., with exemplary accuracy.

I've got mine in a match stock and I'll be having that modified to make it more 'sporting', without losing any of the control.

I love that Elite, and I'd never sell it.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge