Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ripley elite

Good to hear. I am seriously thinking about selling my S400 for one. It is only 6 months old but I have always loved Ripleys and although this isnt a pure Ripley its the closest I will ever get. I just need to be absolutely sure before I take the plunge and lose money on the S400 as I had to save a while to get that.

Anyone know where the customer stands regarding the warranty and parts? That is the other issue that makes me hesitant. Who will honour the warranty if it goes pop and will there be any parts available in say 4 years or is this why it is now being sold off cheaply?

thanks for the replies.I got my pal an aa400 and i dont like them at all.I shouldered a bsa scorpion se and was disapointed with the finish.The ripley elite was stunning,chunky ,solid,extremely well finished .Im dubious myself about warranty,and just what is the resale value if i do decide to sell in a few years?Ive had an aatx200hc,ultra,scorpion,r10 and hw100,but the ripley is everything i want if its reliable.Im not too fussed about power,as long as its consistent.I want it as a day gun,as my r10 has an n550 on top. cheers

The main issue I have with the S4*0 is the weedy barrel and barrel band holding it with 2 flimsy grub screws. It doesnt fill me with confidence whereas the Elite looks solid and reassures. The S400 walnut stock is stunning and I get very good consistency with it and good 3/4-1" groups at 50 yards but too many odd fliers that I am not convinced isnt the rifle.

I think it comes down to the warranty and likely hood of available of parts that is the deciding factor now for me.

its looking like im getting one.Im not really interested in comparing it to other rifles as we could go on forever(i didnt like the hw100) but i do appreciate quality stuff and if it needs to go back once then so be it.The finish on it makes my r10 look amateurish. cheers

dr dave

Everyone has there own views on rifles , likes and dislikes, if you like the elite, excellent choice, nice t/hole stock if i remember. good luck with it , and good shooting.

Absolutely, let us know what you think and how you get on.

The S4*0s have sold 65,000 units, and have backup, and their own forum. How many Elites are there, and what's the back up like? a couple of containers of spares doesn't do it for me.

Gus
    The ox is slow, but the earth is patient.

dr dave

if TD can get things done to his Elite im sure others can. Theres plenty of custom engineers out there.

elite

At the end of the day most rifles are made to a cost ,l think the main concern with the elite is not the product but the lack of back up if it does go tits up.I know lots of shooters and most of them have had mods done to there kit as most dont shoot well out of the box ,and i suspect the elite is no different and the key is to get to now your local gunsmith well.

Quote Originally Posted by dr dave View Post
    if TD can get things done to his Elite im sure others can. Theres plenty of custom engineers out there.
    I would have though the other way around. If anyone can he can with his contacts, also would anyone want bad publicity from an influential figure mad about a duff rifle?

To give Jim Hogan some kudos the rifle my m8 took in had been already opened up, he did say if it was not he would not have charged for the power reset.

Also the rifle was producing 9.6FPE top part of the power curve with AA fields, 9.9 with bismags, it now produces 11.2 with bismags and 11 with AA field...which is where the power according to Jim Hogan should be.

They are a nice gun....if a native multi shot I think I would have had one

Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
    The S4*0s have sold 65,000 units, and have backup, and their own forum. How many Elites are there, and what's the back up like? a couple of containers of spares doesn't do it for me.

Gus
    Why not call Wighill and ask them about the backup? I think it's comprehensive and trustworthy, but if you need more convincing, speak to them or visit and see for yourself.
    If you don't know enough to judge - don't judge

theres a years warranty,so hopefully if it does play up it will be in the warranty period.hes agreed to chrono it before i buy ,and i will be doing the same regularly. Got to say it again,a cracking looking rifle. cheers

Quote Originally Posted by howdener View Post
    theres a years warranty,so hopefully if it does play up it will be in the warranty period.hes agreed to chrono it before i buy ,and i will be doing the same regularly. Got to say it again,a cracking looking rifle. cheers
    And when that warranty runs out you are not too far away from Jim Hogan at Redbeck near Wakefield....

Ripley elite

Nice write up you did in the recent mag Terry about the ELITE think you mentioned you had put thousands of pellets through it in some severe weather conditions and had been Faultless in the time you have owned it, Says it all really. Wont be parting with mine. If i can ever get it back of the Wife As for it not being a proper ripper, it was made from the blueprints of one so must be very close, also Steve would not have put his ok to a crap rifle. It may not have been hand built by him but its a ripley none the less.