Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ripley elite

Quote Originally Posted by paul.s View Post
    And when that warranty runs out you are not too far away from Jim Hogan at Redbeck near Wakefield....
    thats another plus point for me.30mins down the road cheers

Does anyone have or has had/used both the S4*0 and Elite? I would love to hear a side by side comparison of one of the biggest selling rifles against one of the smallest selling ones, rather than just 'the Elite is better', e.g.

Accuracy - ........wins, example of group sizes.
    Consistency over a charge - ........wins, example of fps range
    Usable shots per charge - ........wins
    Trigger - .......wins and why
    Weight - ......is heavier
    Build quality/finish - wins, what is finished well, barrel width, cocking action smoothness etc.

real ripley

get yourselfs a real ripley ar5s now thats a rifle
    RIPLEY AR5 STAINLESS 10-50-60 FT RIG
    HW97 V MACH BUSHNELL BIG NIKKO HOP
    EV2 Warren Edwards stock big nikko .

Quote Originally Posted by merlot View Post
    get yourselfs a real ripley ar5s now thats a rifle thats twice the price and therefore not really anything to do with this discussion
    efa

ripley

I know people with so called real ripleys and to be honest they are not so perfect as people would have you believe ,l my self shoot a s400 and have owned it for 9 years this thing has never missed a beat in all that time .Adding a gimb ft 1 stock transformed the rifle and it shoots great if i miss a target its me not the rifle cheers worz

An elite shooting 11fpe in .177 is a fine airgun by any means I prefer them personally to s400's.

But how long it will do 11fpe for in .177 is the question, mine would drop after a couple of hundred shots it also liked to dump air overnight, this was a brand new gun, not something that had ever seen dirt or rain.

I know some of the later guns will probably be trouble free.

When I bought mine I had read on other threads that the barrels came out dirty when made so I cleaned the barrel and have to say Ive never pushed as much crud out of an airgun barrel ever.

If your buying one try and buy one of the later ones with a ripley bolt as mine was an early one with a logun style bolt the early ones had a different hammer and some other internal parts (I cant remember what exactly) that could degrade or rust causing inconsistency's I had mine replaced under the shop warranty as a first precaution, as something was seriously scoring the bolt body and the gun was all over the place on the chrono.

I know wighill are selling the left over guns now and backing them up thats good as if any airgun Ive owned needs a backup they do.

As for money I don't see how they are any better value than what highland outdoors were selling them at as towards the end they were offering a Nikko Sterling Targetmaster 6-24x56 with their guns which retailed over £200 and the gunbag and spare match trigger.

I did receive the scope and a good scope it was despite it being supplied with mounts made from milk bottle tops(bought some sportsmatch).

I ended up selling both separately and together got what I had paid for the gun.

I ended up asking redbeck where jim hogun works if they wanted to buy my elite in the end and they offered me £200 as they said "nobody wants them" thats after he had worked on it so thats confidence in your work for you.

I have to agree now with the sceptics in the guns are more hogun engineered than handmade ripleys thats for sure, this is going away from what my opinion was when I picked one up for the first time as I loved them and gave the impression it was built like a tank but so was the mk2 proffesional look what happened to that, I feel the elite will suffer the same fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpoint View Post
    Does anyone have or has had/used both the S4*0 and Elite? I would love to hear a side by side comparison of one of the biggest selling rifles against one of the smallest selling ones, rather than just 'the Elite is better', e.g.

Accuracy - ........wins, example of group sizes.
    Consistency over a charge - ........wins, example of fps range
    Usable shots per charge - ........wins
    Trigger - .......wins and why
    Weight - ......is heavier
    Build quality/finish - wins, what is finished well, barrel width, cocking action smoothness etc.
    I have had both and now only have the Elite, why? The elite is better on all counts and better looking too. The only internal mod was degrease / remove the factory glue and re-lube after about 500 rounds. Done over 10,000 rounds now and not 1 issue in this time. 10.6 ft.lbs is NOT an issue with extreme deviation of 18 fps with shot-to-shot of 6 fps (over 80 shots) without a reg is more than twice as good as the best I could obtain from an S400.

I guess I have a good one?
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

This is what the bolt looked like on mine it seems the ripley bolts were put on later and these seemed to have the better internals.

DM80 Guest
    i have worked on quite a few of these rifles over the last few years and to be honest i'am far from impressed and anyone who says these are as well made as an AA probuct are badly mistaken.

They may have ripley on the side but believe me an elite and an AR5 are worlds apart i'am surprised steve put his name to them he must have made a few quid though which is what its all about i suppose

dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinpoint View Post
    Is that not something that is covered by warranty? He designed it underpowered and then charges to have it where it should be, lol.

How old was the rifle? Was it a fairly new one?
    Apparently not! he charged me when I had only had the gun a few months (anti tamper had previously been put back on by highland outdoors umpteen times)

Anyone looking for a multishot version of an elite look no further than mk2 logun, same reliability (a bit of a lottery if you drop on a good one)

The only gun I think was reliable and accurate to be made by hogun was the re branded axsor he was selling as it wasn't designed fully by them just a bolt added different stock and magazine retainer but it wouldnt do anything the webley fx2000 couldnt do of course.

There seems to be a big similarity between the logun axsor and ripley elite.

Find a good rifle put your name on it, save money on the engineering process to make a profit.

Did it work? In a word no.

Why is the guy working out of a little shop in wakefeild, hats off for trying it is a shame the rifles couldnt live up to all the marketing in the days of the old airgunsport catalogues as I must admit my mouth used to water.
    Last edited by engraver; 18-02-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Some interesting posts, thanks guys. I think I will be keeping my S400 as I need to be sure that it is a worthwhile upgrade and by all accounts it seems as though this cant be guaranteed. I guess 65,000 S4*0s wouldnt have rolled out if they were rubbish and that is a lot of rifles to hone and ensure that any issues are well and truly ironed out. I've no doubt that there are some good Elites out there as others have mentioned but the sheer numbers on the secondhand shelf adds up to what you two are saying.

just put 5 shots through the f1 chrony(unweighed) and very little spread but its calculating at 10.34lbft.Is this a little low? Also the ripley whines like hell when filling. cheers

How much air have you put in it also you need a few hundred pellets to bed the barrel in
    A few air rifles and pistols Daystate Owners Club

Quote Originally Posted by howdener View Post
    just put 5 shots through the f1 chrony(unweighed) and very little spread but its calculating at 10.34lbft.Is this a little low? Also the ripley whines like hell when filling. cheers
    Sounds completely normal to me.
    Purbeck Field Target Club.

calculated exactly and its 10.1 only put 6 through as a guide filled to 200 bar cheers