Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: apologies

Chippendale is offline Well stuff me, you live and learn.
    Quote Originally Posted by walnutfarmmick View Post
    I think he's going to fit in here a lot better than that whinging pillock last week, banished after 4 posts.

ATVB, Mick
    I assume that as there have been no more calls for my head and that the sentence of lapidation has not bee carried out, I am now being allowed to carry on using the forum.

Thank you

Judge and jury

Chippendale (Carpenter, with cloths on)

Some hope, at last.

Whilst I've not posted in a 'coon's age [ a small N American omnivorous mammal, binomial name Procyon Lotor, not an unpleasant name for sub Saharan African people but a colloquialism used by red neck American's to indicate an inordinate time span as Procyon Lotor in captivity has been known to live for long periods, especially if in a domesticated environment] I must remark that it's posts like this that are a tonic to the woes of modern life and show me that the British people aren't quite finished on an intellectual, humorous or anecdotal level. Well done.

Its always nice to see a couple of 'high Victorians' find eachother.

Now you can wear your top hats together, and discuss topics such as:
    The smell of London.
    Riding your penny farthing bicycles.
    Making umberella stands out of elephant's feet.
    Not believing steam locomotives will ever catch on.

You may also enjoy the 'Grammar & Spelling' section.

Kindest regards - Phil

And after all that, we now want a full strip ( pictures ) of your wood working skills.
    Last edited by HW777; 21-02-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Not believing steam locomotives will ever catch on.

Well, if you're prepared to have your eyeballs fall out when you exceed 60 miles per hour... That's a mile a minute, you know! If God had intended us to hurtle about at such speeds he wouldn't have given us the Mail Coach.

There's nothing wrong with the Spelling and Grammar section. Accuracy is appreciated there as much as one would expect on a forum devoted to shooting.

ATVB, Mick
    When guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns .

Quote Originally Posted by HW55T View Post
    And after all that, we now want a full strip ( pictures ) of your wood working skills.
    Alas as the term implies "Carpenter" I and other carpenters like me are the tradespeople that fit what the "joiners" make and normally work on site. Therefore any photographic records of my capabilities are non existent. A shame really because I with a colleagues help have formed many exquisite joints to the purlins where they meet under the hips and also the plumb and seat cuts of the said hips and of the rafters in the many, many, roofs that we erected during a very long career (51 + years).

There were times though when we would be inside the buildings, first and second fixing to the highest standard, earning a reputation of good workmanship.

We never carried cameras to work in those days, the dusty and often damp environment did not give itself to having a camera in such a situation, also having to stand for two to three minutes while the exposure was being taken would have not gone down very well with the site foreman.

That is the reason why I cannot post any photographs as requested, but if you want to see examples of our work just take a visit to the large housing projects in Temple Newsham (Leeds), Ward Green (Barnsley), Hemsworth (Wakefield) Doncaster,

I really don't know why I am taking the time to write all this s..te, may be its just that I'm passing the time while the daylight shows itself and I can carry on with refurbishing the built in wardrobes that the previous owner of our dwelling has cocked up.
    Ha! here comes the daylight now, I shall stop all this drivel and get back to doing something useful.
    But that is the reason there will be no photos, sorry

Chippendale (the Carpenter with clothes on)
    Amen

Iconoclast

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Its always nice to see a couple of 'high Victorians' find eachother. G & S perhaps?

Now you can wear your top hats together, and discuss topics such as:
    The smell of London. Granted - this is still as valid as ever!
    Riding your penny farthing bicycles. The term only came into the popular lexicon circa 1891, so although Victorian, had only become widely acknowledged during the Edwardian period
    Making umberella stands out of elephant's feet. Granted
    Not believing steam locomotives will ever catch on. More a notion of late Georgian thinking. Victorian ideas on entrepreneurial enterprise were more circumspect and views on steam locomotion were more a symptom of the then medical belief that the bodies major organs & arteries would implode above 30mph, which was absurd as we all now know that the figure is 45mph.

You may also enjoy the 'Grammar & Spelling' section. Now, are we referring to the G & S as espoused by the great Barnes of The Times, as befits an energetic, youthful nation or merely a lack of correct usage in the modern vernacular?

Kindest regards - Phil
    Phillip, Phillip, Phillip! - it seems that our best endeavour's are as wheat upon barren ground. Please see responses above. Hopefully this will clarify things for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Herpquest View Post
    It takes a man to appologise, and if the lesson has been learnt, enough said.
    I bet his Mum made him do it . . . the apology, that is.

I goofed once on the forum and apologised shortly afterwards . . . they were threatening to put my wiener in a mincer
    Matou: The Braughing Banger

Quote Originally Posted by Chippendale View Post
    Alas as the term implies "Carpenter" I and other carpenters like me are the tradespeople that fit what the "joiners" make and normally work on site. Therefore any photographic records of my capabilities are non existent. A shame really because I with a colleagues help have formed many exquisite joints to the purlins where they meet under the hips and also the plumb and seat cuts of the said hips and of the rafters in the many, many, roofs that we erected during a very long career (51 + years).

There were times though when we would be inside the buildings, first and second fixing to the highest standard, earning a reputation of good workmanship.

We never carried cameras to work in those days, the dusty and often damp environment did not give itself to having a camera in such a situation, also having to stand for two to three minutes while the exposure was being taken would have not gone down very well with the site foreman.

That is the reason why I cannot post any photographs as requested, but if you want to see examples of our work just take a visit to the large housing projects in Temple Newsham (Leeds), Ward Green (Barnsley), Hemsworth (Wakefield) Doncaster,

I really don't know why I am taking the time to write all this s..te, may be its just that I'm passing the time while the daylight shows itself and I can carry on with refurbishing the built in wardrobes that the previous owner of our dwelling has cocked up.
    Ha! here comes the daylight now, I shall stop all this drivel and get back to doing something useful.
    But that is the reason there will be no photos, sorry

Chippendale (the Carpenter with clothes on)
    Amen
    Sorry Chip, when i said full strip, i ment a full strip, of that which gos with the job title of a chippendale, and the wood working skills, being the slang for you wood, as we do have a few female members on hear, it also gives the blokes on hear a chance to see how we measure up, go on, dont tell me you dont use it as a ( woodworking ) rule. : )

Quote Originally Posted by KurtNicoll View Post
    Phillip, Phillip, Phillip! - it seems that our best endeavour's are as wheat upon barren ground. Please see responses above. Hopefully this will clarify things for you.
    Hahaha ... you guys are funny, and I did enjoy your responses

By 'spelling and grammar' section - I thought you might enjoy the posts by the 'grammar police' on here, who like to keep a check on everybody's verbiage n' all

Have a 'Bully Day' - Phil

This thread makes the grey matter remember a series that made me chuckle "Im anus-peptic, phrasmotic, even compunctious to have caused you such pericombobulation" one of the lines spoken by the great Rowan Atkinson

aApology

Hi Again.

Rickenbacker,

Regarding top hats, i'm afraid it's cheese cutters up here, the smell of London has nothing on the smell of naphtha when the plant is opening up the coke ovens, regarding the penny farthing I preferred the old Triumph Tiger Cub, as to making umbrella stands out of elephants feet, I regard anything that is associated with that magnificent animal other than to preserve it is criminal, and finally to the matter of steam locomotion, one of my happiest memories regarding steam engines is actually seeing many years ago the A3 Pacific 4472 thunder through the junction at Walton, Wakefield,

HW55T

Regarding the full strip, I was not aware of the subtleties of your comment regarding the full strip and the use of my wood as a rule, I assumed you were remarking about the old 35mmm negative type photographs, silly me.

I am not willing to show you the photographs that you were intimating at just for you to gratify your self and as using my wood as a rule , well, it varied because of the weather, when hot I could knock 9 old pennies off the saw bench when it was cold I could only knock 5 off.

Matou
    In a way you were right about my mother making me apologise, and as Girly Pants has mentioned a quote from an old TV series I would also use a quote from a very funny series thus, When our mum was on her deff bed dying she said "Mel (sic) boy if you have been found out to have erred, it is better to apologise, if you have not been found out stuff em".
    And finally my last comments on the 23.02.12 you will notice I have ended with AMEN,

Once again hopefully
    AMEN
    Last edited by Chippendale; 25-02-2012 at 07:52 AM.