Thread: What is your personal best score?

What is your personal best score?

I have been shooting a fair few years now and consider myself a fairly reasonable shot,when I put my mind to it.

But alas I have never ever cleared a course in FT / HFT or had a maximum score in Bell Target.

what is your best attempt?
    Last edited by markmac; 20-02-2012 at 12:17 AM.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

It all depends upon what the degree of difficulty of the course and the competition there.
    After todays performance and poor routing of strings you wouldnt have thought i have cleared club courses 7 times on the trot.
    Targets can be out at mickey mouse ranges but it aint over until the fat lady sings.

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post
    It all depends upon what the degree of difficulty of the course and the competition there.
    Agree about course difficulty and weather conditions but why would the competition (fellow shooters) make any difference to your own scores?

10m Air rifle: 582
    25yds prone rifle: 399 ex 400 in competition (400 ex 400 many times in practice, as is the way!).
    50m prone: 596 (postal competition) 593 (Cooper range competition, I forget which comp).
    25yds 3P ex 300: 296 P:100 S:96 K:100. Those cards were returned and are framed.
    50m 3P: PB 1145. Best result Silver medal in ESSU comp (and I'm Scottish, he he. kept locals on there toes).
    10m air pistol: have been known to graze the card and sometimes the black bit. Not always my card!

And thats the end of my bragging session. I have to do it here as the Wife just nods her head and answers with "that's nice".

Bing! (currently unable to get head through doorway, and thats double doors).

Quote Originally Posted by Bing! View Post
    10m air pistol: have been known to graze the card and sometimes the black bit. Not always my card!

Sounds like my poor attempts at pistol shooting.

Well done on the rest of your shooting scores.

The closest I have come to a maximum score is 195 ex 200 at FT,Shooting a 20 shot course at Buddon Wood quite a few years ago (10 points for a knockdown and 5 for a plate in a club shoot) - Didn't even win the comp - On the day, beaten by Mick Dakin,who cleared the course - I think I shed a tear or two that afternoon

There is always one who turns up and pips you. The reason I got silver and not gold at the ESSU was because at the start of the final I was tied with Chris Hector, by the second shot he was ahead and didn't look back. I'm blaming Chris but I may also have shot like a complete numpty, cant remember exactly (selective memory the wife calls it).
    Talk about shed a tear, 2006 I missed promotion to X class by 1 point, thats 1 point out of a possible 2400 or so. A weeks shooting came down to 1 point. I put the kit away for about a month after that. Did manage it in 2008 though.

Bing!

To miss out by just 1 point must have been absolutely gutting,if 2400 was the cut-off ,what was the max range/top score to aim for (Sorry for my ignorance on match shooting scoreing )

Just had a nose at some old scores, it's actually ex 2800 over the week and 1st place in A class scored 2701 I think. I was about 30 points off in 13th place (had to be didn't it).
    The top 10% get promoted so there must have been 120 in A class that year, the bottom 10% get demoted from X class to make way for the new bunch. Normally there is only 90-100 shooting in X at any given year. I used to think they were an aloof bunch with some sort of mystical powers to read wind and mirage etc. No, just consistent, very consistent, and yes, good at wind, mirage etc.

All the competitions are either 100 yards or 50 metres, in a day you will shoot something like ex 400 at 100 yds and in the afternoon ex 600 at 50M. Next ex 600 @ 100yds and ex 400 @ 50m, and so on for the week. Throw into that mix the home countries comps and the county comps and the club comps etc etc etc. LONG week of shooting and great fun.

Bing!

Shooting every day for a full week

Sounds like heaven

You have got to be single

Single? Not anymore. Hence the drop in averages and the pending sale of kit. 1 year old in tow now and another due in july.!

Practice was 2-3 nights a week and some weekend shooting, hopefully a 50m open meeting somewhere.
    Now it's once a month if I'm lucky. I'm not one for being an also ran, bit selfish of me but I like to be competitive, very competitive.

Remember, it's not the winning.... It's the crushing under foot of your weak rivals as you climb to the top, merciless and unforgiving. pity them, PITY THEM.......

Sorry, seeing the old family motto brings an emotional tear to my eye.

Bing!

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    why would the competition (fellow shooters) make any difference to your own scores?
    It annoys me when i hear people say ive scored X amount my personal best on easy courses, meaningless. Out of say 30 shots, 26 could be gimmees so only have to work for 4.

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post
    It annoys me when i hear people say ive scored X amount my personal best on easy courses, meaningless. Out of say 30 shots, 26 could be gimmees so only have to work for 4.
    Agree - if the course is too easy and not a real challenge then high scores should be acheivable by most,but still getting a personel best for some is still an acheivment of sorts,depends what grade/class you are shooting in.An A Class shot might find such a course easy and a bit boring,but a novice or C Class shot might find the course a challenge.

Conversely,on a difficult course,with a tricky breeze to negotiate and not managing to hit all targets but still acheiving a PB is highly satisfying - Regardless of what your fellow shooters are scoring.

edbear2 Guest
    I can clear our bell target 2 or 3 times on practise nights (6 yards x 8mm hole), and my practise target (6yds x 6mm hole) the same with sometimes 15-20 consecutive possibles.

Then.......on match nights......maybe 21-23......Max this season 24 x 25, min 19 x 25....makes you sick it does, I was hoping after nearly 2 seasons to have got on top of my nerves, but no luck so far!

Quote Originally Posted by edbear2 View Post
    I can clear our bell target 2 or 3 times on practise nights (6 yards x 8mm hole), and my practise target (6yds x 6mm hole) the same with sometimes 15-20 consecutive possibles.

Then.......on match nights......maybe 21-23......Max this season 24 x 25, min 19 x 25....makes you sick it does, I was hoping after nearly 2 seasons to have got on top of my nerves, but no luck so far!
    That's good shooting,especially with an 8mm bull.

My practice Bell Target has a 9.5 bull and I normally shoot 6 pellets in a round - scoring 5.1 for a clean bull and 5 for a clipped bull that rings the bell.My PB is 29.5 ex 30.6 - never ever shot 6 consecutive bulls/bell strikes yet ( although I am relatively new to this type of shooting)- always get the wobbles and pull a shot into the 4 ring.

As they say ,practice makes perfect and I am really enjoying the practice