Thread: nickel plating?

nickel plating?

Afternoon chaps,
    I've currently got a little project underway and just wondered if there is anyone offering the plating services (preferably Nickel) for air rifles, if possible I am looking for a bead blasted then Nickel plated finish to give a tasteful bit of matt bling to an AA TX200 action, barrel and underlever......?

try niphos I've had bike parts done and found them to be good

Address - 25 Hope Street, Crewe, Cheshire, CW2 7DR

Phone - 01270 214081 Fax - 01270 214089

Email - niphos@tiscali.co.uk

do they have an RFD ? this is the problem I am having........

whats rfd?

i use a plater called ongor plating in essex.

RFD = Registered Firearm Dealers certificate......

Mercury Plating in Camberley for the nickel plating, & Elgemec in Ash vale for the shot blasting, both in Surrey. (30mins along the M3 from you)
    Both will do small-jobs/one-offs and are VERY reasonable.

Why are you concerned about RFD? If you've striped the rifle down to the components you require work on whats the problem?

HTH, Paul.
    TX200 collector, ex - BFTO member and vintage BSA rifle anorak!
    Get yourself something useful.....
    HERE!

I have plating tanks

richardH can you plate stainless steel? its cheap stainless .304 grade i believe

its a motorbike header . it rusts after a few runs if its polished . looks nasty when it rusts

paul

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post
    richardH can you plate stainless steel? its cheap stainless .304 grade i believe

its a motorbike header . it rusts after a few runs if its polished . looks nasty when it rusts

paul
    Hmm... yes indeed... you really should have used 316L...

Opportunity is missed by most people, because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Quote Originally Posted by bighit View Post

paul
    Hi, First of ! Its not a cheap stainless , Its an 18/8 Austenitic ( That means none magnetic to you )

The French use another word for Stainless steel, Thats INOX !
    Its short for inoxidable,

A 304 is 18/% Chromium & 8% Nickel ( Both these metals are expensive , Espescially the Nickel )
    If you look in your kitchen , You will find untensils, Knives, Spoons Etc & they will be stamped " Stainless Steel "

This is not entirely true, If you test them with a magnet, They are Magnetic, They contain Chromium, 18% ish But NO Nickel,
    When nickel is added ( 304 Contains this )
    It becomes " Austenitic " I can explain this to its end result if you want
    ( If I can stay sober Ha ha, )

The addition of Nickel now makes it " Austenitic "
    ( When steel is heated , At a certain temperature it loses its magnetism )
    This is called ( Not suprisingly ) The Austenitic range !
    A 304, Is Austenitic ! & None magnetic ! At room temperatures.

The reason Stainless steel is corrosion resistant is that it forms an "Oxide " On its surface , When exposed to Oxygen , Cro2, (Chromium Oxide ) Is formed on the surface, This prevents further corrosion taking place,
    I was Welding Engineer in Kuwait in 1977<
    I was called to a meeting , The subject was brought up by the Kuwaity management !!!!!!!

The subject in question was a " 304 " Stainless steel line one of my foremen had run to the Flare tower , ( Over a Kilometre & 3 Lines )
    They mentioned that ever 4th Weld was rusting ?
    I replied OK, do it in the morning !!!!

I had realised that one of the welders was using a " Steel " Wire brush,

If a steel wire brush, Or Iron filings are dropped onto Stainless Steel, The Oxide coating is broken down & rust starts to form, ( & It keeps rusting because the Cro2 oxide has been breached, )
    take my word for it ! Try it, Drop some iron filings on a Knife or spoon,

To cut to the quick on my welding problem , I took a crew out with mechanical " Stainless brushes " Cleaned up the welds & They never rusted again , ( I like a good ending, Ha ha )
    I got a great bonus for this from Kellog,s !

Going back to the above " Rusting Part "
    A 304 or almost any Stainless if cleaned up , Using stainless brushes rust again , In your lifetime !

Cheers, Ged.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoy View Post
    Hmm... yes indeed... you really should have used 316L...

well for all the people that say buy british there you go lol. its a british company that use Japanese engines and Austrian fork and shocks , they only make the frame and exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hi, First of ! Its not a cheap stainless , Its an 18/8 Austenitic ( That means none magnetic to you )

The French use another word for Stainless steel, Thats INOX !
    Its short for inoxidable,

A 304 is 18/% Chromium & 8% Nickel ( Both these metals are expensive , Espescially the Nickel )
    If you look in your kitchen , You will find untensils, Knives, Spoons Etc & they will be stamped " Stainless Steel "

This is not entirely true, If you test them with a magnet, They are Magnetic, They contain Chromium, 18% ish But NO Nickel,
    When nickel is added ( 304 Contains this )
    It becomes " Austenitic " I can explain this to its end result if you want
    ( If I can stay sober Ha ha, )

The addition of Nickel now makes it " Austenitic "
    ( When steel is heated , At a certain temperature it loses its magnetism )
    This is called ( Not suprisingly ) The Austenitic range !
    A 304, Is Austenitic ! & None magnetic ! At room temperatures.

The reason Stainless steel is corrosion resistant is that it forms an "Oxide " On its surface , When exposed to Oxygen , Cro2, (Chromium Oxide ) Is formed on the surface, This prevents further corrosion taking place,
    I was Welding Engineer in Kuwait in 1977<
    I was called to a meeting , The subject was brought up by the Kuwaity management !!!!!!!

The subject in question was a " 304 " Stainless steel line one of my foremen had run to the Flare tower , ( Over a Kilometre & 3 Lines )
    They mentioned that ever 4th Weld was rusting ?
    I replied OK, do it in the morning !!!!

I had realised that one of the welders was using a " Steel " Wire brush,

If a steel wire brush, Or Iron filings are dropped onto Stainless Steel, The Oxide coating is broken down & rust starts to form, ( & It keeps rusting because the Cro2 oxide has been breached, )
    take my word for it ! Try it, Drop some iron filings on a Knife or spoon,

To cut to the quick on my welding problem , I took a crew out with mechanical " Stainless brushes " Cleaned up the welds & They never rusted again , ( I like a good ending, Ha ha )
    I got a great bonus for this from Kellog,s !

Going back to the above " Rusting Part "
    A 304 or almost any Stainless if cleaned up , Using stainless brushes rust again , In your lifetime !

Cheers, Ged.
    hi ged and thanks for the info above , i say its 304 but i cant be certain of this , i know its stainless though as i had to get a welding repair done on it and the fabricator guy that did it said it was stainless but a cheap grade . i have never polished mine yet . other owners i know do polish their own ones and they go brown and dull . will see if i can find a pic

http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...C03460-2-1.jpg thats it there and this is the full bike http://i557.photobucket.com/albums/s...DSC03460-2.jpg

i was told its was rusting but maybe its not , it just goes a nasty brown colour

i was going to get the header pipe (there is two sections ,header and link pipe) ceramic coated asi found a place that does it for £20 a foot and the header is just under 2 foot . was going to use VHT paint on the link pipe and then get the silencer done either powder coat black or annodised and the end caps left stainless unless i powder coat and they will be done powder coat too

thanks again ged

p.s its a 644cc ccm 644 dualsport . got trail wheels and the supermoto ones its wearing in that pic

Its probably 430 or similar, get a magnet on it, if it sticks it will rust.

304 is high grade, 316 is surgical grade, both are hard to machine hence most make gun bits from the cheaper 303 which is also easier to machine.

I had some 430 screws in a silencer I made, Colin at MAG blued the silencer and guess what..the screws blued along with it LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by bigtoe01 View Post
    Its probably 430 or similar, get a magnet on it, if it sticks it will rust.

304 is high grade, 316 is surgical grade, both are hard to machine hence most make gun bits from the cheaper 303 which is also easier to machine.

I had some 430 screws in a silencer I made, Colin at MAG blued the silencer and guess what..the screws blued along with it LOL.
    its more of a browb stain type look if you get what i mean . the two pipes are at the fabricator guys as both the mounts holding the pipe to the frame snapped off . even though there is two balancer shafts in the engine its still a vibey bike . i have the mount at my work . will see if the magnet sticks to it

cheers bigtoe