Thread: Diana mod 66 giss system rough cocking problem help needed

Diana mod 66 giss system rough cocking problem help needed

Hi there i have a diana mod 66 for restoration but the cocking seems really rough
    it fires very well with no recoil with no problems its just the cocking feels grindy metal on metal grindy but ive taken it apart several times and lubed the bearing points ect but just very rough
    the only way to describe it is as if it has no lubrication ... Could any of you knowledgeable people help me i.e am i missing something
    its my first giss system so not sure whats normal or not but the cocking is definately not right with it
    thanks
    A CUP WITHOUT A HANDLE IS A BOWL BUT A HANDLE WITHOUT A BOWL IS USELESS

The cocking of the Model 66 is nothing like as "smooth" as when cocking something like a Walther LGV etc and it does sound a bit rough in comparison as the two small gear wheels wind their way along the gear teeth and the two pistons return to their cocked position - but I would not describe it as sounding like metal grinding so it deserves some further investigation.

We are lucky to have some real Giss experts in the UK who are also a members of this forum so I would suggest you give DM88 or wonky donkey a PM to see if they can help to answer your question for you.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zooma View Post
    ...We are lucky to have some real Giss experts in the UK who are also a members of this forum so I would suggest you give DM80 or wonky donky a PM to see if they can help to answer your question for you.
    As above, they aren't smooth cocking guns, but any grinding indicates something amiss. Presumably you inspected and greased the rear of the piston on reassembly so I can't really offer any advice on rectification.

Cocking my '66 always reminds me of an old rollercoaster as the carriages get pulled up the initial incline , you can feel there's more going on than just compressing a spring.

I read a post elsewhere that wonky donky won't be taking on any more work until late October/Nov. HTH

Dave (DM80) recently sorted a couple of original 6 pistols for me to great effect. Good turnaround too, and a gent to deal with.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.

Rough 66

As others have said, its not the smoothest of actions at the best of times, the only thing than can sound like grinding that is not an indication of a more serious problem is the big screw adjustment under the front of the fore end which tensions the cocking link.

If its too tight, or got dry, it can scuff up the underside of the link upon which it bears, just drop the action out of the stock, make sure there are no scuffs on the bearing surface of the link or the screw, clean up, grease, and reassemble. There is probably a measurement some where but I always did the tightness by feel, just enough to hold the link in smoothly and not let it "crack" over centre, but not too tight to bind up or scuff.

If its not that contact a rebuild expert, a little fiddling if you don't know what you are doing can cause a lot of damage with one of those! I would suggest and recommend "Wonky Donkey" on here.
    Best of Luck
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Thanks for your help I will do some further investigation ...I never thought of the cocking link so lets have a look ... Thanks again

Cocking link is scuffed and there's no lubricant on it so fingers crossed but wont know till I reassemble the rifle