Thread: Sterling HR81 in .177

East Hanningfield, near Chelmsford, Essex

Sterling HR81 in .177

I have been contacted by a guy in the USA who has this for sale. Not my thing so thought I would pass it on to some one on here who may fancy it. I have copied and pasted his email here.

I saw your current classified ad on American Airguns website and thought I may have something that may interest you. I have a .177 Sheridan Sterling HR-81 air rifle that I'm considering selling or trading for something a bit lighter in weight. I worked at a gun shop and purchased the rifle direct from the factory new in the late 1980s and it's a bit unique. When I received this rifle the beech stock was damaged in shipping, when I called the factory they sent me what I believe to be a walnut stock. The stock is straight grained but is very nice. I believe it's a stock for an HR-83 that was not checkered. This may be the only Sterling out there with an uncheckered walnut stock. It also has a Swift 4x40 scope and factory mounts that was purchased originally with the rifle from the factory. The original iron sights with replaceable inserts for the front hood are not on the rifle but I still have them as well as the original manual and partslist. The rifle was never really broken in and I have only fired about 500 pellets through since new, I try to fire it every six months or so at least a couple times. I recently had some medical issues and I can't comfortably or accurately shoot this rifle due to the weight (it's 10.5 lbs. with the scope) any longer so I just need something lighter. Build quality, fit and finish are all very nice on this rifle and there are no plastic parts. The blueing and stock are very nice and is in 95%+ condition but there are a few small wear marks in the stock finish in just a couple spots. I have included a couple photos (please see attachment)

If you have no interest in this rifle please share what you feel the value may be of this rifle and if you are interested please feel free to make an offer. I know it's rare and most airgun collectors in the US have no idea what this rifle is, but since the Sterling design came from the UK I thought you may know something about it and it's value in the UK. I'm sure it will meet the 12 ft/lbs. limit in the UK since the velocity is around 700FPS in my understanding. I'm not sure what the postage would cost but thought I'd check that cost if you think you're interested. Thank you for your time and consideration, I appreciate it!

Thanks again,
    Erik Hute

I do have photos so contact me and I will forward them on to you. Also if any one has an idea of value please and I will let him know.
    Regards
    Alan
    Last edited by schony; 25-02-2012 at 08:07 AM. Reason: further info

Sounds like a scam...... Do you know this guy? Have you met him ? Its a scam

The americans know exactly what the airguns are worth

Scam ??

Quote Originally Posted by whitevanman574 View Post
    Sounds like a scam...... Do you know this guy? Have you met him ? Its a scam

The americans know exactly what the airguns are worth
    Hi whitevanman, you may of course be right, then again you may not be. I dont know the guy and he did contact me. Certainly the photos are genuine, dont mean a thing, but, if some one is interested then it is up to them to make the checks necessary to ensure that the seller is genuine. I have purchased lots from the US and never had a problem but that dont mean it wont happen. Buyer beware.
    Alan

thers one for sale here in the UK

COUNTRY FIELD SPORTS
    Country Pets & Country Field Sports
    14 Market Place
    North Walsham
    Norfolk
    NR28 9BP
    United Kingdom

Telephone: 01692 404806

STERLING HR81 .22 BOLT ACTION / UNDER LEVER IN SUPERB ORIGNAL CONDITION :£195.00
    When you lose,don't lose the lesson

Thanks John2, I will let him know. It wont be worth buying it and shipping it over.
    Alan