Thread: Walther LP300 XT - Plus or minus points....

Walther LP300 XT - Plus or minus points....

I am thinking of getting a Walther LP300XT, I am keen to know what the general view is on this pistol.....

I am thinking of getting a Walther LP300XT, I am keen to know what the general view is on this pistol.....
    Have you tried it and do you like shooting it, does it feel comfortable? Have you tried the equivalent Morini, Steyr, FWB? All the offerings from the major manufacturers are capable of producing Olympic winning scores straight out of the box. What matters is that you select the pistol that you feel happiest with and you enjoy shooting. That's what will help you exploit its potential.

Rutty

The answer from Rutty is spot-on.

If you do decide to go for the Walther, remember that it runs at a higher pressure than other match pistols (300 bar), so check the size of air cylinder you have to fill it from - although it can still be partially filled with a 200bar cylinder.

The new Walther LP400 has now also gone with the 200bar pressure so they can use lighter weight aluminium cylinders on the pistol.
    Rossendale Target Shooting Club. Every Tuesday and Thursday evening 7 - 10pm.

walther have been using ally 300 bar cylinders on their rifles, so i can't see what the problem would be.

The comments were intended to be informative to someone asking for advice about buying their first match pistol and offered some basic information that may be of interest....because the Walther LP300 is different to other match air pistols in so much that it runs at a higher pressure than the others that he may see at his club.

Walther with their current model have fallen into line with all other match pistol manufacturers and changed to a 200 bar alloy air cylinder from the 300 bar steel cylinder used on the LP300 to give better balance and to save weight.

Quite important for a match pistol - and now also recognised by the manufacturer too.

Would I buy a Walther LP300 - yes - no problem - but I also have some 300 bar air cylinders to fill it with - as you may have for your rifle - but none of my pistol shooting friends have because they don't need to.
    Last edited by zooma; 28-02-2012 at 11:45 AM.

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    The shot regulation on both the pistol and the rifles at 300 bar is to the same pressure for a shot as at 200 bar, the only advantage with 300 is you get more shots between fills if you fill to 300, we often only refill our rifles to 200 because often thats all there is available. With the cylinder full my Wifes rifle did 3 sixty shot matches and a final at the British Championships this week end, the cylinder was just below 200 at the start of the last one and lasted safely through the last match with some to spare.
    Zooma is spot on why Walther have gone to 200 on their new LP400, it is purely to reduce the weight of the cylinder to improve the weight distribution.
    We have a Tesra club pistol which is near enough an LP300 (designed by the same man) and its an excellent pistol.
    Good shooting
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

I had a XT 5D pistol:
    Pro's: 300 bar, very good filled grip, 5D adjustable, looks great
    Cons: couldnt hold it still very well so sold it.
    So try before you buy!
    ATB,
    yana

RobinC is offline Awesome Shooting Coach and Author.
    Quote Originally Posted by hwtyger View Post
    I had a XT 5D pistol:
    Cons: couldnt hold it still very well so sold it.
    !
    Would'nt have been you would it? Leonid Ekimov had no problem with his in the Europeam Championships two weeks ago, 586 ex 600!
    Robin
    Walther KK500 Alutec expert special - Barnard .223 "wilde" in a Walther KK500 Alutec stock, mmm...tasty!! - Keppeler 6 mmBR with Walther grip and wood! I may be a Walther-phile?

Its always the shooter - never the pistol that produces poor results - but some pistols do fit and suite some people better than others - and that's why the advice is to always try any new pistol you intend buying first.

See Zooma. Every shooter likes different pistols. Cause they're built differently, have different strength, etc.
    I can hold still my morini 162, Tau 7 and Steyr LP10 better than the LP300.
    Never said it wasnt accurate..its just not good for me, balance-wise.
    But as I said: try before you buy..
    ATB,
    yana