Thread: What is the best book on Pistol Shooting?

What is the best book on Pistol Shooting?

There does not seem to be too many good books on the theory of pistol shooting, particularly Target. I have been advised to get a copy of Dr Laslo Antal's Competitive Pistol Shooting, but so far I can't find a copy less than £35, however it does seem to be an excellent book. Can anyone suggest a quality publication worth looking at?

Pistol shooting

There does not seem to be too many good books on the theory of pistol shooting, particularly Target.
    That is absolutely correct! There is a dearth of pistol books of similar standard to "Ways of the Rifle" and Air Rifle Shooting".

I addition to Antal's book you may wish to consider:

Pistol Shooting as a Sport by Hans Standl ISBN0 7182 1109x

Successful Pistol Shooting by Frank and Paul Leatherdale ISBN 1 85223 057 6

Competitive Shooting A A Yur'Yev ISBN 0 935998 53 5 (You may have to remortgage the house and sell your grandmother for this one!)

Modern Pistol Shooting by PC Freeman ISBN 571 08503 2 (Unfortunately not so modern anymore, but not bad for the basics)

and finally a quite surprising one:

Training Shooting Sports by Barth & Dreilich ISBN 978 1 84126 305 2
    This book is aimed at the young shooter, say early teens, and contains some of the best and clearest descriptions of the pistol shot process that you will find anywhere. It covers the basics very well indeed and as we all know this is what usually lets us down! I strongly recommend it.

Hope that this helps,

Rutty

Thanks Rutty, I will check out the books on your list.
    I've taken a look at the ISSF Academy site as recommended by WSNAP and it's very good, many thanks to you both for taking the time to reply, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by wsnap View Post
    Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

Al

Chorley; somewhere to the SW of I.J. (fortunately)
    There is also a "Know the Game" book on pistol shooting by Laslo Antal ISBN 0 7158 0673 4 or 0 7158 0674 2 published in late 1970's.

You could look for Target Pistol Shooting by K B Hinchliffe ISBN 0 7158 8060 1 published by David and Charles Newton Abbot Devon in 1981.

Mike.
    Nowhere to go ........in no hurry to get there; www.rivington-riflemen.uk----- well I suppose it is somewhere to go.... founded by I.J. - let down by the tainted blood scandal

try also
    www.bullseyepistol.com

and
    the target gun book of uit pistol shooting by laslo antal
    the target gun book of pistol coaching by john chandler

both crop up on #bay now and then.
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Books

I have two books for sale the Book of UIT pistol Shooting Laslo Antal and Pistol Coaching by John Chandler. The cover on the Antal book has been pushed back too far but no pages are loose. These were bought through Target Gun magazine years ago.

I did place these in the for sale section with no positive results. £25 for both including P+P.