Thread: selling Webley Premier Model D

selling Webley Premier Model D

Webley & Scott Mk1 Premier Model D, boxed with papers.
    Currently not cocking due to worn sear.

As mentioned elsewhere, I have a Webley Premier model D with a worn sear, and I have decided to try and sell it, hoping it will find a happy new owner who'll be better placed than I to get it back and keep it in shooting condition. The gun is in original state and comes in the original box with all papers except the proof of purchase (which must have taken place in Maastricht, by my grandfather). If he bought it new as I am sure he did, the gun cannot have shot more than a few hundred rounds. It has some scuff marks from normal usage and my own use of it as a 'prop gun' during my teenage years - which also explains a small corner that's broken off the right hand grip plastic. Otherwise, to quote one of the members here, the gun is in lovely condition - but please see for yourself.

Based on the value estimates I've received I'd like to ask 150 pounds for it, plus postage (from France) but this is debatable. An exchange for another compressed air pistol would be fine with me too - for instance a used Webley Alecto in good shooting state, or a (new) Crosman 1377C (possibly with some upgrades?).

I've seen several FS posts stating that the first person to send an offer gets the item - is that how things are supposed to function on this board?
    Last edited by RJVB; 12-02-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: nutshell resumé preamble for those perusing via tooltips :)
    mad(dened) scientist, fulltime nerd, (early) music/photography/Moto Guzzi geek, discovering the joys of shooting

I see from the photos that someone has stripped the trigger unit down ( punch marks on the frame around the trigger pins), was that you.??? Have you tried backing off the sear adjustment screw to see if this cures the problem. If it has only fired a couple of hundred shots the sear should not be worn. You may have age hardened grease causing the sear not to engage.

Pete.

Erm, yes, I indeed forgot to mention that I'd taken the trigger unit apart (the photo captions should make that clear though). I've left the trigger guard pins half unseated to facilitate the next disassembly.
    There is no grease on the sear, nor any burrs, and backing of the adjustment screw no longer helps. It did for a short while, but the pistol just doesn't cock anymore. There are no usage marks whatsoever on the piston that could have been made by the sear - I'm guessing that the pistol shipped with a badly hardened or adjusted part (the sear barely protrudes into the cylinder). Replacing the part is simple and ought to take care of the issue.
    mad(dened) scientist, fulltime nerd, (early) music/photography/Moto Guzzi geek, discovering the joys of shooting

Am I asking too much? I'll take all serious offers into account and am also willing to sell the pistol and box+papers individually.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Am I asking too much? I'll take all serious offers into account and am also willing to sell the pistol and box+papers individually.

Hi

The problem with the pistol could be that the 'hump' at the end of the cylinder could be worn down, i've had a Premier and a Senior with this problem which a drop of weld and dressing with emery cloth wrapped around a file has cured in both instances

My Premier came with two extra sears as the previous owner thought this was the problem..

I think the reason it hasn't sold is that the asking price would be OK for a boxed, working pistol but too high for a non shooting one

Good luck with the sale

EDIT- Forgot to say, it needs the hump to be at it's full height to achieve the full cocking stroke length

John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

The asking price is based on the valuation thread I started a bit before this one, but is debatable, I'd be happy to see offers that are considered reasonable!

The piston looks pristine as far as I can judge, and it doesn't have an orientation. The simple fact of re-inserting it into the cylinder without taking care to do so the exact same way it came out ought to have put a fresh bit of 'hump' opposite to the sear, and allow the pistol to cock again.

RJVB,
    I think you have misunderstood johnbaz.The `hump` he is refering to is the raised lump at the muzzle end of the cylinder between cylinder and barrel. As you cock the pistol the cocking link slides over the `hump` to give it leverage. If this hump is worn down then the piston is not pulled back far enough to cock the sear.

Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by flatrajectory View Post
    RJVB,
    I think you have misunderstood johnbaz.The `hump` he is refering to is the raised lump at the muzzle end of the cylinder between cylinder and barrel. As you cock the pistol the cocking link slides over the `hump` to give it leverage. If this hump is worn down then the piston is not pulled back far enough to cock the sear.

Pete.

Yep!!

That's what I tried to say but failed miserably

Cheers, John
    for my gunz guitarz and bonzai, see here
    www.flickr.com/photos/8163995@N07/

For future reference: sold for about 115 pounds shipping included.