Thread: What do i need to know?

What do i need to know?

hi,

i am planning on going into the air pistol scene asap.
    generally it will be used for back garden plinking and close range shooting, (finishing off vermin) maybe a bit of target range stuff.

my only experience with air pistols is at fairs or using high powered airsoft ones.

so what do i need to know regarding buying one.
    and what should i avoid like the dentists?

i really like the look of revolvers, 1911's and p99's

atb
    tom
    Last edited by TomSteebs; 28-02-2012 at 04:26 PM.

i would recommend you choose pellet rather than bb guns,they are more accurate and generally better made
    it all depends what you want to use it for, you will find many people with many ideas,
    brian.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSteebs View Post
    hi,

i am planning on going into the air pistol scene asap.
    generally it will be used for back garden plinking and close range shooting, (finishing off vermin) maybe a bit of target range stuff.

my only experience with air pistols is at fairs or using high powered airsoft ones.

so what do i need to know regarding buying one.
    and what should i avoid like the dentists?

i really like the look of revolvers, 1911's and p99's

atb
    tom
    I can recommend single stroke pneumatics (ssp). They would cover all your requirements above. No recoil, to aid target practice. Accurate!!! Only need pellets thereafter.

If you are going for backyard plinking then you need a good backstop. Once you have that you can go for any power/type of pistol.

I started by getting vintage Webleys - reminded me of my youth -so now I have a full set from the Mk1 up to the Nemesis (and latest Typhoon, shudder).

Then I discovered CO2s - so the 2240 arrived closely followed by the Sheridan which is full power but PLEASE only use this (or similar) as a total last resort to despatch the odd rat which, as happens, avoided a killing shot from a 12 ft/lb rifle.

Then I discovered bb guns. Low power but enormous fun - I recommend the Tanfoglio Witness (CO2 again) you can blast away for hours.

Quite honestly once you start it is difficult to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
    If you are going for backyard plinking then you need a good backstop. Once you have that you can go for any power/type of pistol.

I started by getting vintage Webleys - reminded me of my youth -so now I have a full set from the Mk1 up to the Nemesis (and latest Typhoon, shudder).

Then I discovered CO2s - so the 2240 arrived closely followed by the Sheridan which is full power but PLEASE only use this (or similar) as a total last resort to despatch the odd rat which, as happens, avoided a killing shot from a 12 ft/lb rifle.

Then I discovered bb guns. Low power but enormous fun - I recommend the Tanfoglio Witness (CO2 again) you can blast away for hours.

Quite honestly once you start it is difficult to stop.
    back stops isn't an issue as i shoot a steel backplate on 2 layers of chipboard etc..

i know what you mean with bb's i had a 450fps palco which was very powerful and accurate.

i only would use it for a twitchy rabbit or when i hit then at the base of the head which paralysis them.

i would like a co2 pistol as i have loads of bulbs that don't get used.

The Umarex S&W revolver is a much better product than the Umarex semi-auto replicas you mention. Handle them and you'll see

webley alecto or crosman 22xx series?

these are what i've narrowed it down to.

I was going to say avoid ones you have to pump up but too late?

nope not too late still got a some time to make up my mind.

why should i avoid pumpers?

Nothing wrong with pumpers.
    Purely the effort involved.