Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5x10-50 (Philipines-manufactured).

Quote Originally Posted by WINK View Post
    i cant remember the aetec at £380..remember them at £220..compared them both in low light aetec miles better much bigger eyebell and aspherical lenses...mine cost me £80 off the bay
    Depends which model but I thought the 3.8-12x44 was £379.99 but am not certain. I'll try and dig up an old price list.

EDIT: the oldest price list I have found is in a copy of Airgun World dated December 2006. In that, Uttings -as good as any for price I hope you agree-has the Aetec 3.8-12x44 at £289.99 and the smaller 2.8-10x44 at £239.99. Not as much as I claimed but still a lot more money than you pay for them today.
    Last edited by Rapidnick; 19-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

aetec

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    Depends which model but I thought the 3.8-12x44 was £379.99 but am not certain. I'll try and dig up an old price list.

EDIT: the oldest price list I have found is in a copy of Airgun World dated December 2006. In that, Uttings -as good as any for price I hope you agree-has the Aetec 3.8-12x44 at £289.99 and the smaller 2.8-10x44 at £239.99. Not as much as I claimed but still a lot more money than you pay for them today.
    sorry apologize mine's the..2.8..as'k laddo at locol gunshop he said they did them at £229 still a bargain at..£80

Its a shame Simmons dont make their Airgun Specific 6-18 scope with Target Turrets. My mate has one of these and it is a well made and very repeatable scope. I bought the 4-12 version as it was the closest I could find, but it is nowhere near as good in quality and clarity.
    My FX Typhoon now has a Weaver V16.

Quote Originally Posted by scoie View Post
    Hi Ravman

Ive had a few over the years and nice scopes, i bought mine new about 10 years ago and it cost me £220 IIRC , but can now be picked up for about £60-70 , a lot of scope for peanuts really.

As to wether it would be any good on a TX, mine was on a Theoben Eliminator for the very reason that they are very durable and can withstand a fair bit of punishment, and it never really lost its zero

cheers
    craig
    This is my view too. I also used one on an Eliminator which is one of the-if not THE -most demanding air rifle on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidnick View Post
    This is my view too. I also used one on an Eliminator which is one of the-if not THE -most demanding air rifle on the market.
    This is good news - I just bought one on the bay to get me through til the winter when I can afford a Schmidt to go on the 8mm!

Jamie
    Professional Pest Control without Poisons - Trapping and snaring equipment - www.jllpestcontrol.co.uk

been wanting to buy one of these seems like there a good scope just dont see them about very often

Iv'e just swapped my Aetec for a WTC, i think the Aetec has the edge over the WTC but i could'nt be bothered with the faffing around with the ao or pa
    or what ever its called.

Quote Originally Posted by samboy View Post
    Iv'e just swapped my Aetec for a WTC, i think the Aetec has the edge over the WTC but i could'nt be bothered with the faffing around with the ao or pa
    or what ever its called.

Funnily enough the focussing is what made me swap WTC for Aetec. It was a while ago so we couldn't have done a swap. I find the Aetec range especially the 3.8-12x44 fantastic in terms of build quality, optical quality and price. I use them on rifles where mildot or other fancy reticles aren't necessary-rimfires and FAC air rifles used for hunting. I agree with everyone who praises the Pro Air Range and tend to use them on magnum springers. Ironically the most scope unfriendly gun I own is the Air Arms TX200SR and I use the scope I use on all legal limit air rifles-the Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 mildot- on that. So far with no problems.

I took the Aetec of my Rapid and put the WTC on it and i have the Aetec 2.8 x 10 -44 on my Rimfire.
    Both 30/30, sweet as, just point and shoot. I cant be fussed with mildots or ao.

I recently reparallaxed mine to what I thought was about 20 yards. Was still able to hit the mark, but had the occasional problem with the odd flier. Letting my son James have a few shots with the combo, he immediately commented that the parallax adjustment was way off so set about readjusting it. Suffice to say that the scope is once again back to its best which confirms that 1) I should have left it where it was originally set, and 2) my eyes are even more crap than they were only a couple of years ago.

I still like the nice, plain but deadly effective 30/30 ret. It is much easier to use in the field and makes the scope an ideal buy for somebody wanting a reasonably cheap allround scope that performs well above its price range in my opinion.

Andy
    Member, the Feinwerkbau Sport appreciation Society (over 50's chapter)
    http://www.rivington-riflemen.eu/ Andy, from the North !

Just a small correction to your original post Ravman, all WTC Simmons scopes were made in the Phillipines factory. The later branded Simmons production was Chinese made ( Iv tried a couple and they are good for the price)
    Careful with that axe Eugene