Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you think is the most radical Air pistol design ever?

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    Quote Originally Posted by knighthawk View Post
    Also take a look at the Cometa Indian..its an ingenious design...
    Yep that and the Record Jumbo.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Most Radical Air Pistol Design

Quote Originally Posted by Atlantia View Post
    And why?

Just a bit of fun!
    My vote would definately go to the Webley Mk1 first introduced in 1924. Although it used some ideas previously seen on earlier designs, it brought all the best bits together with a novel cocking system to produce the best air pistol ever made in my opinion anyway. Other manufacturers tried to compete, but none could better this design. The pistols continued to evolve over a period of over 60 years until the demise of the Tempest.

I have collection of these fine pistols along with some of its contempories such as the Titan, ABAS Major, Lincoln Jeffries, Warrior etc and in my humble opinion none of these can match the Webley.

Regards

Brian

If we're talking radical as in successful, then the Webley air pistol design has to have my vote as it has proved to be one of the most successful designs in the history of airguns. It is time proven and works. The popularity of collecting and using Webley pistols today proves this to be the case.

As for unusual, what about the Haenel air pistol, as in Model 28? Here we have a spring air pistol with a very good likeness to a Luger that is aesthetically pleasing as well as useful as a trainer. OK, so it won't win you a 10 metre match but the sort of training it was intended for was not based on extreme accuracy but more around handling and placing a shot into a far larger target.

John

I really like the look of the Certus http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....tus-air-pistol.

Hi..

I would agree with John..It has to be Webley..The First Firearms Trainer..Modern Air Pistols Some Superbly Designed --ie---FAS 604 + others that have made Air Pistol Shooting what it is today..However I believe Webley Started it off....

Regard's

Inproved...

There have been some good suggestions put forward so far, however I am a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the A.G Parker Airpistol. I love the ungainly look of the gun and the fact that the unpractical crank on the side had to be wound to cock the gun. Not ideal for speed shooting , and of course all adding considerably to the weight. I would imagine it is not an easy gun to shoot , BUT a totally radical design by anyones standard

Here it is in all its 'Beauty'.....

Parker Air Pistol

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    There have been some good suggestions put forward so far, however I am a bit surprised nobody has mentioned the A.G Parker Airpistol. I love the ungainly look of the gun and the fact that the unpractical crank on the side had to be wound to cock the gun. Not ideal for speed shooting , and of course all adding considerably to the weight. I would imagine it is not an easy gun to shoot , BUT a totally radical design by anyones standard

Here it is in all its 'Beauty'.....

Hi Lakey,

I fully agree with you that the Parker Pistol was probably the most radical in design but also the most ungainly and probably fairly unreliable due to the presumeably delicate gearing mechanism used to cock it.

At the risk of offending any Cogswell & Harrison "Certus" owners, I reckon this was definately the most inelligant air pistol ever made which to me anyway, looks like it might have been designed by Wallis & Grommit.

Both of these air pistols will obviously continue to be of interest to collectors and command high prices due to their rarity, but surely never their asthetic appeal or practical design.

Regards

Brian

My vote goes to the Hy Score.
    Spring, loading ,cocking all so different.

Walther LP 53 with spring in the handle also clever.

Not forgetting the Brococks we used to have

I imagine it works something like this :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJe...layer_embedded

Brocock Air Cartridge Pistols

Quote Originally Posted by gingernut View Post
    My vote goes to the Hy Score.
    Spring, loading ,cocking all so different.

Walther LP 53 with spring in the handle also clever.

Not forgetting the Brococks we used to have
    Hi,

I still have my Brocock Air Cartridge Revolvers ie converted Uberti Colt Single Action Bisley, Pietta Remington NMA & Colt 1851 Navy.

I declined the government's kind offer to take these off my hands for free to be destroyed and placed them on my Firearms Certificate instead.

How stupid it seems that you can shoot these guns in your back garden but that they still need full Section 1 security and must be either deactivated or destroyed before they can be legally disposed of in the future !

There must be a great many of these guns still out there that were not handed in or placed on FACs.

Regards

Brian

The Diana Model 6 with the twin pistons giving a recoiless action. Great German engineering
    Dave

I imagine there must be some illegal Brococks around but not mine!
    I did not fancy even a short stay in HMP for owning a pop gun.
    Nor did I feel that I wanted to play the firearms game on offer.

I still regard my Orion as the best air pistol I have ever shot and it was.177 so I doubt that it was easy to convert to a real firearm.

harry mac is offline You can't say muntjack without saying mmmmm
    When it comes to radical my vote could never go to a spring piston gun, whether the piston flies forwards, backwards or upwards, as a design concept it's been around since the late 19th century.
    I would say there are two contenders, first is the Brocock (Saxby Palmer) air cartridge system. This enabled airgunners to experience proper, firearm quality guns with proper firearm mechanisms.
    The second is at the oposite end of the quality spectrum and it's the Umarex PPK copy. Not only does this pistol have firearm looks, it also strips down quite similarly to the real thing and gives a close aproximation to the feel of firing the original gun. The Tanfoglio Witness is even better in all those respects, but I believe the PPK planted the seed.
    The South of England has 2 good things, the M1 and the A1. Both will take you to Yorkshire.

For me it has to be spring piston. Pneumatic/pre charged pistols have been around since the 18thC, but it's the self contained spring piston pistols that really impress me with their ingenuity.
    I love the Westley Richards highest possible concentric. So streamlined and I can't think of an earlier concentric, which I think is a great design. It's just a beautiful gun too.
    My other favourite is the Lincoln. The piston in the grip, the balance, the feel in your hand.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Although strictly speaking it was a CO2 gun, I was proud of the 'airpistol' I made from a 2/3rds empty lemonade bottle and a Toffo toffee. A few good shakes and the Toffo would astonish the 3rd Year boys with its power, but not its accuracy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R._White's_Lemonade

http://www.aquarterof.co.uk/toffo-p-268.html

Power was about 0.6 ft/lbs, so not a toy.