Thread: Mounts for my 1970's Bsa Mercury / Advice please

Mounts for my 1970's Bsa Mercury / Advice please

Hi all

I was just wondering if anybody could suggest some scope mounts that will stay attached to my late 1970's Bsa air rifle. Basically i have tried a couple of one and two piece mounts but both sets have come loose and fallen off after only a short period of time. Both sets of mounts were also chewed up at the securing rails , and as the one piece was recently bought off the bay especially for this gun , i wasn't too happy , i can tell you.

I have recently found out that some the early bsa's rifles did have problems with scope mounts , because the attaching rails on the rifle are quite thin , and causes the problem i am having. I'm not too bothered if the mounts are new or second hand , so long as they stay attached to the gun.

I originally posted this problem in the General Airgun Section and was advised to post in the collectable forum for advise ,

Regards ,

John
    Last edited by luckymjr; 03-03-2012 at 06:15 PM.
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Sports match one piece mounts on a springer mate.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Apart from the shallow grooves, the main problem with the Mercury and Airsporter was that the rails stopped well forward of the ideal position, owing to the long curving back block. BSA produced an arrestor kit - basically a shallow steel saddle that sat behind the rear end of the grooves and was secured with a self-tapper. This was quite an ugly arrangement but worked quite well. Later on, Sportsmatch brought out a set-back one piece mount - also very effective but, being grey anodised, not really in sympathy with the gun's finish. My own solution was an Apel set-back mount which suited the appearance of the gun much better and stayed put if tightened up with enthusiasm.
    Essex Air Ambulance saved my life on 20/08/2010 www.essexairambulance.uk.com

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    I have a 4x28 Nikko Stirling Tiara scope which fits the Mercury well. This is a 7/8" scope with a plain fine crosshair, perhaps unsophisticated by modern standards but a nice scope nonetheless. It is quite lightweight so suits the shallow grooves of the late 70s Merc well. £30 inc post.

look no hands is offline Even better looking than a HW35
    That's very strange as I had the one piece sportsmatch reach back mounts that were designed for the Mercury range on mine and it was fine, I also used a standard pair of two piece reach back mounts as well and never had any problems with them either, I know sometimes if you don't get the mounts on properly that the scope groove can cut into the mounts and knacker the mounting edge.

Pete
    Far too many rifles to list now, all mainly British but the odd pesky foreigner has snuck in

Thanks for the replys lads

I'm currently doing a refurb on the mercury at the moment , so i'm not in any immediate hurry to sort this problem out. As i've already stated in another posting , if push comes to shove , i'll just use the open sights for close up work ,

John
    God created man and god created woman
    Sam colt made them equal

I had a Webley Tracker which just would not let any mount stay on it-the first time a scope popped off my less than cat like reflexes only just kicked in and I caught it about an inch before it hit the floor.... I thought some manufacturer made mounts specifically for BSA and Webleys for this period?